Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 12:18 PM   #1

Hope the fridge doesn't fall out!

My husband and I recently purchased a brand new Timber Ridge 2017 25rds. The finance manager had presented us with a piece of paper with different extended warranties to choose from. He was adamant that we choose the 5 year extended warranty. We had told him no and he kept pushing saying we'd need the warranty for when the fridge falls out while driving down the road. He had said the potholes here are so bad in Spokane that at some point after hitting one of them that the fridge would fall out and it would cost us $6,700 to have it fixed. Needless to say it didn't sell us on the warranty. Has anyone here ever had their fridge fall out due to hitting a pothole?
Happycampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Crazy....I bet he makes a nice commission off extended warranties he sells. Never heard of a frig bouncing out.

Having purchased two new trailers in the last 12 years, we have had only the few common repair items to do under our one year warranty period.

I'm kind of on the fence in general about extended warranties. I have bought them for my Toyota tow vehicles. My 14' Tundra I bought a Toyota factory 8 year, 125k $0 deducible warranty for $1700.

If your at all handy fixing simple RV stuff, I don't see the need. But if even operating a screw driver you need to the read instructions, then a warranty might give you peace of mind.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:24 PM   #3

Never heard of it happening. Have heard of doors opening on Residential refers.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A fridge falling out wouldn't be covered by an extended warranty anyway!
Old 08-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
A fridge falling out wouldn't be covered by an extended warranty anyway!
Your right...Just like if you hit a "chuckhole" and the tire blew and caused damage to the wheel well. That and the frig falling out are accidents.

Good point
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If the fridge can fall out after hitting a few pot holes, I think I would be seriously considering a better quality rig!! JMHO.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another case of a salesperson using hyperbole as a sales (scare) tactic.

Must have been a RVs Northwest. Have heard nothing but bad about them.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am currently in Spokane working. I full time. I've driven my trailer all over the West, including some pretty sketchy for a travel trailer dirt "roads", since I've had it. If the fridge would have been primed somehow to fall out, it would have done it by the time I got to Spokane, drove through it, and got to my park just north of town.

It didn't. I don't think it will.

Take it slow, use common sense, and before you leave the dealer with the trailer, try to yank it out on your own, give it a decent little shove from behind. If it won't come out there, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Extended warranties are essentially insurance policies. And unless you have special reason to believe otherwise, they always have to be set up to make money. That is, unless there's a special circumstance, statistically it's likely to cost you more than they will have to pay out. Personally I choose to self-insure unless the covered loss would be catastrophic. Which means I almost never buy extended warranties.

(AppleCare is an exception for me because it covers more things. Even then it's probably not a winner statistically, but I'm not sure.)

And by the way $6700 to replace a refrigerator???
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Extended warranties are a great money maker for the dealer and you negotiate them hard.

If you can get the price down to a reasonable level they are not necessarily a bad thing. (not $6700.00 I think I paid $2100.00 for a six year coverage. $350.00 a year was worth it to me.

I have always gotten my $$ worth when I chose to buy them. 2 x leather seat covers, water pump, and a radio in my DW truck and it only cost me $1400.00 for the warranty.

But you gotta read the fine print to know what you are getting and also how reputable the underwriting company is.

My $0.02 worth
Old 08-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #11

Fridge

Our fridge opened and a roast fell out, fortunately it was frozen. Fridge has never fallen out though.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampin View Post
My husband and I recently purchased a brand new Timber Ridge 2017 25rds. The finance manager had presented us with a piece of paper with different extended warranties to choose from. He was adamant that we choose the 5 year extended warranty. We had told him no and he kept pushing saying we'd need the warranty for when the fridge falls out while driving down the road. He had said the potholes here are so bad in Spokane that at some point after hitting one of them that the fridge would fall out and it would cost us $6,700 to have it fixed. Needless to say it didn't sell us on the warranty. Has anyone here ever had their fridge fall out due to hitting a pothole?
I can't imagine buying a toaster from a dealer like that, let alone a trailer
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Another case of a salesperson using hyperbole as a sales (scare) tactic.

Must have been a RVs Northwest. Have heard nothing but bad about them.

Yep, it was Rv's Northwest. If we were to purchase another trailer, it won't be from them! Not a good experience.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampin View Post
Update: Good news! We took our trailer on a journey to the total eclipses area in Idaho for 3 days. We made it there and back and the fridge didn't fall out! Yay!

Tags
fridge