Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How important is a clean roof?

I find cleaning the roof of my trailer to be a pain. Lots of climbing up and down a ladder and crawling around on hands and knees (I know the roof is built to walk on but I prefer to spread my weight around). The question for the collective is: Why is it important to clean the roof? We are planning a trip to Alaska next year and I’m trying to decide whether to buy a generator or install solar panels on the roof. It seems to me that installing several solar panels on the roof will make cleaning at least half of it impossible. I’m just wondering if a dirty rubber roof actually causes deterioration faster than leaving it alone?
danr43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #2

I think the portions of the roof under the solar panels will receive less sunlight and exposure and may last longer. I used brackets that hold my panels 3 inches above the roof so I can get my hands under it if I wanted to. I will periodically use a hose to wash off the roof including anything under the panels.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

We just power wash our TPO roof once a year, mostly cause it makes me feel good and it's a good time for an inspection. As far as solar panels, they should be cleaned regularly, dirt or film on them will reduce their efficiency which is not good.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danr43 View Post
I find cleaning the roof of my trailer to be a pain. Lots of climbing up and down a ladder and crawling around on hands and knees (I know the roof is built to walk on but I prefer to spread my weight around). The question for the collective is: Why is it important to clean the roof? We are planning a trip to Alaska next year and I’m trying to decide whether to buy a generator or install solar panels on the roof. It seems to me that installing several solar panels on the roof will make cleaning at least half of it impossible. I’m just wondering if a dirty rubber roof actually causes deterioration faster than leaving it alone?
Great question...I wonder if people who have EPDM or TPO installed roof on residential structure like office building, warehouses or homes wash them on a regular basis?

I understand a roof inspection check for cracks and new sealant application.

So if you don’t clean it what happens besides getting dirty?

If not cleaned what is the down side?

Is is a marketing thing to sell RV roofing products?

Can’t see me going up on an EPDM or TPO roof of a house to clean it ona regular basis..gutter yes.

Will wait to here.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not important unless you can't check the sealant.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wash/scrub ours down twice a year. Mostly during the inspections.

All that's needed. Don't want to fall 12+ feet.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I wash/scrub ours down twice a year. Mostly during the inspections.

All that's needed. Don't want to fall 12+ feet.
I don’t bounce very well anymore.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

About as important as having clean underwear after a car accident.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not important.

I wash mine about three times a year but that's because we live in an agriculture area and the dust that collects on the roof runs down the sides of my coach like mud.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

Roof what?

This is the email I sent to Dicor and 2 other manufactures of TPO roofing materials for an answer I have received nothing and dought I will.

I`m interested in your policy on care and maintenance of the DIFLEX2 (DICOR) TPO roof membrane. I have been told I have to clean my RV roof on a regular basis to maintain the product integrity and to extend the life of the product. I believe if this is necessary you would require cleaning and treating with a sealer of some kind at specific intervals to maintain the product warranty. I believe this cleaning advice found in many RV maintenance articles is just for aesthetic purposes or to help with the black streak issue and has nothing to do with keeping the TPO roof from failing from lack of maintenance.
I have owned 8 different campers over 35 years and only once did I clean the roof on one of them. The rain has done a very nice job of keeping the roof clean enough and I have never experienced a roof failure from a dirty roof. As we all know people that own very large RV`s tend to be the older crowd and this could be a health and safety issue. I'm older and don't have the strength and stability as I once had and the thought of climbing on the roof of my RV to clean my 42 ft. long camper is just a little unnerving. Of course this has nothing to do with the normal maintenance of roof sealers around roof penetrations and seams that do need touch up from time to time to prevent water intrusion and damage to the interior of the camper.
I have used your products with great success in the past and will continue to use them in the future. Please settle this topic between myself and a couple of my camping friends once and for all.

Thank you in advance,
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSHGTO View Post
This is the email I sent to Dicor and 2 other manufactures of TPO roofing materials for an answer I have received nothing and dought I will.

I`m interested in your policy on care and maintenance of the DIFLEX2 (DICOR) TPO roof membrane. I have been told I have to clean my RV roof on a regular basis to maintain the product integrity and to extend the life of the product. I believe if this is necessary you would require cleaning and treating with a sealer of some kind at specific intervals to maintain the product warranty. I believe this cleaning advice found in many RV maintenance articles is just for aesthetic purposes or to help with the black streak issue and has nothing to do with keeping the TPO roof from failing from lack of maintenance.
I have owned 8 different campers over 35 years and only once did I clean the roof on one of them. The rain has done a very nice job of keeping the roof clean enough and I have never experienced a roof failure from a dirty roof. As we all know people that own very large RV`s tend to be the older crowd and this could be a health and safety issue. I'm older and don't have the strength and stability as I once had and the thought of climbing on the roof of my RV to clean my 42 ft. long camper is just a little unnerving. Of course this has nothing to do with the normal maintenance of roof sealers around roof penetrations and seams that do need touch up from time to time to prevent water intrusion and damage to the interior of the camper.
I have used your products with great success in the past and will continue to use them in the future. Please settle this topic between myself and a couple of my camping friends once and for all.

Thank you in advance,
It will be very interesting to see what, if any response you get from them
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #12

It was your money....take care, or not, it's your RV....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

Its important to me simply because I like to keep my belongings clean.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Its important to me simply because I like to keep my belongings clean.

Same here and that's why I power wash the roof once a year. If someone is not comfortable getting up on his roof, then the risk is not worth the limited benefit of a clean roof.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof