Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
I'm not disagreeing, just wondering why unhooking the trailer, leveling it, and putting the jack on a scale wouldn't give me the tongue weight. I'm sure I'm just not understanding something.
It will give you the unhitched tongue weight and that is a valuable number I suppose. My theory is that there are really two weights to consider. The main one is how much weight is sitting on your trailer tires and axles, if you don't exceed the tire capacity or the axle capacity, I think your fine. The other is your tongue weight which can be moved from your rear axle on the tow rig to the front axle and the trailer axles by adjusting the load bars so you really want to know the hooked up tongue weight.

To me the unhitched tongue weight doesn't seem very valuable as you always tow with the bars attached and spreading the load. The big value in knowing the tongue weight is to not overload your rear axle on the tow rig but you can know that by weighing the rear axle with the trailer all set up for towing with the bars attached.

Not sure this makes any sense in my convoluted way of explaining it. I am just trying to keep it simple. What is the weight on the suspension components, axles, and tires (don't exceed that). What is the rear axle weight on the tow rig when ready to roll (don't exceed that).
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #58

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Not quite, Gross Trailer Weight is the weight of the trailer and whatever stuff may be in it. Makes no difference if its attached to the truck or carried by a flock of geese. It is what it is.

If you weigh yourself and the scale says 250 pounds soaking wet with your clothes on that's your gross weight. Your gross weight does not change by leaning on a fence. It will change the scale reading but it does not change your soaking wet weight.

Similarly, while hooked to the truck some of the GTW is carried by the hitch the remainder by the tires but the GTW remains the same.
You may be correct in this. You also may be correct that if I weighed 250 pounds it would be a gross weight.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #59

That makes perfect sense.

I think I will:

1. Get the "dead" weight of the trailer axles and tongue by dropping the trailer on a split scale

2. Hook up the trailer and get the combined weight of TT and TV as well as all 3 axle weights

I already have the real curb weight of the TV with me and a full tank of gas.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
You may be correct in this. You also may be correct that if I weighed 250 pounds it would be a gross weight.
Heck, I'm gross at 200
Old 04-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #61

I hadn't really thought about how the tongue weight changes with weight distribution. So if you want 10-15% of your gross trailer weight on the tongue to optimize tow handling, are you actually shooting for some significantly higher (unhitched) tongue weight? For example, If you start out with 10% of gross trailer (unhitched) tongue weight, will proper weight distribution bring you to some lower % than what is desirable, or is it a moot point because you started at 10% before distribution?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #62

My understanding is that you want to shoot for 9% - 15% tongue weight and use a weight distributing hitch if the "dead" weight is a higher percentage. Otherwise you can just use a non-wdh and just add sway control if need be.

So, in my example, Toyota recommends 9% - 11%. If the tongue weight of the unit ends up being more, which it will because most of the slide is in front of the trailer axles and I have 4 batteries, I will use a wdh to distribute some of the load off the Toyota's rear axle to the front and to the trailer axles.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #63

Based on what I was told by ORV my unit's dry tongue weight was 12.6% of the gross, but adding propane, 4 6V batteries, an inverter, and stuff in the front pass through storage will likely increase that to above 15%.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:00 PM   #64

So your "dead" weight will be measured with your Sherline scale?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So your "dead" weight will be measured with your Sherline scale?
Not the first time. I'm going to take it to an actual truck scale to get all those weights, then weigh the tongue at home with the Sherline for comparison.

I plan to use the Sherline for future trips while loading the trailer to make sure the weight is distributed properly...move stuff around, etc.

The only question is should I weigh it with a full tank or empty...thoughts?
Old 04-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #66

Do you know where the tank is located? Ideally it would be centered over the trailer's axles, but they fit so much into these small trailers they obviously have to make compromises.
I would want to at least be prepared for carrying a full tank of water.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #67

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I hadn't really thought about how the tongue weight changes with weight distribution. So if you want 10-15% of your gross trailer weight on the tongue to optimize tow handling, are you actually shooting for some significantly higher (unhitched) tongue weight? For example, If you start out with 10% of gross trailer (unhitched) tongue weight, will proper weight distribution bring you to some lower % than what is desirable, or is it a moot point because you started at 10% before distribution?
I think your trailer will have enough tongue weight no matter what. I would fill the water tank, fill propane, and toss in all the assorted things that collect in the pass through. Depending on your tow rig and it’s rear suspension capacity you will set up your weight distribution bars. On mine it was different on my Tundra than it is on my 3/4 ton Ram. They usually come with some pretty specific instructions on how to measure squat in the rear and squat in the front depending on how much you pre-load the bars. The best thing about the weight distribution hitch is how it reduces drastically the tendency of the tow rig and trailer to porpoise going over uneven road surface. Of course it also helps distribution of weight. I have towed my trailer without the distribution hitch just fine on my Ram but it is more comfortable with it.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:00 PM   #68

Maybe I’ll fill up with water, weigh, dump water, and weigh again...although that feels wrong since we’re in perpetual drought.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #69

Quote:
The only question is should I weigh it with a full tank or empty...thoughts?
I'd do both. For gross weight I'd weigh the trailer with what you expect to carry in it, meaning your belongings and water. If your desire is to carry a full tank of water then weight it that way to see where it stands. You know what a gallon of water weighs, so if a full tank of water adds too much weight then subtract an amount of water to get it down to your target weight. What I'd want to know is how much 'stuff' can I bring with me.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 PM   #70

Quote:
Maybe I’ll fill up with water, weigh, dump water, and weigh again...although that feels wrong since we’re in perpetual drought.
Weigh MT first, then w/H20, problem solved

Tags
weight