RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Insulation behind head board of 25rds

Between the front cap and the wall that butts up to the head of the bed in the 25rds. Is there any insulation at all?

Friends were in town over the weekend and they stayed in the trailer. In the am my friend pointed out how cold that wall is, and the heat from their heads created condensation between the pillows/mattress and wall.

Lows at night around 25-30 degrees. Furnace kept the trailer in the 60's an a dehumidify was used keeping the trailer at 45% humidity.

Side note: I also put insulation board under the nightstands. You can access the bottom from the storage bays. I thought this would help the nightstands from being so cold, but no real change.

TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 05:55 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Amount of insulation in any ORV trailer behind the front cap =0

None I saw when pulling new wire there on our GP.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our 25RDS had about an 1/8” gap between the mattress platform and the head wall that let in a decent draft. Sealing that helped a lot with keeping that area warmer and free of condensation.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The front wall on our ORV is made with the same wall construction as the sides and rear wall. Then the cap is the attached to the outside. I pulled a bunch of wire from the roof to the connection box and I removed the bookcase in the headboard to access this area, quite a bit of room actually. The bookcase is insulated with a little bit of pink fiberglass insulation taped on. I insulated the pass through and caulked all the joints around the bed platform, also used foam tape to seal the bookcase to the wall. This made a world of difference in the bedroom especially when a fan was turned, the drafts around the bed above the passthrough and headboard were incredible. I also put Hypervent under the mattress to reduce the chances of moisture and mildew becoming a problem between the mattress and platform especially in cool and or damp weather camping. next year I will seal the platform with Kilz shellac based primer and latex paint, that should solve any moisture issues coming in contact with the wood platform and causing issues in the future.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.B View Post
Our 25RDS had about an 1/8 gap between the mattress platform and the head wall that let in a decent draft. Sealing that helped a lot with keeping that area warmer and free of condensation.
I will have to have a look an see if there is any gap there where a draft can take place.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump010 View Post
The front wall on our ORV is made with the same wall construction as the sides and rear wall. Then the cap is the attached to the outside. I pulled a bunch of wire from the roof to the connection box and I removed the bookcase in the headboard to access this area, quite a bit of room actually. The bookcase is insulated with a little bit of pink fiberglass insulation taped on. I insulated the pass through and caulked all the joints around the bed platform, also used foam tape to seal the bookcase to the wall. This made a world of difference in the bedroom especially when a fan was turned, the drafts around the bed above the passthrough and headboard were incredible. I also put Hypervent under the mattress to reduce the chances of moisture and mildew becoming a problem between the mattress and platform especially in cool and or damp weather camping. next year I will seal the platform with Kilz shellac based primer and latex paint, that should solve any moisture issues coming in contact with the wood platform and causing issues in the future.
Do you have any pictures on the accessing behind the bookcase an insulating the pass through + caulking?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_TR250RDS View Post
Do you have any pictures on the accessing behind the bookcase an insulating the pass through + caulking?

Sure,
First 2 are the bookcase removed, next 2 are insulation in the pass through, I used 1/8 hard board to protect the Styrofoam on the wall and wasn't too worried about the roof. Also, tape all joint with a good quality tape. I don't have pics of the caulking but what I did is close up the trailer and turn the fan on high and felt around the area for drafts. It will become very apparent where you need to do some sealing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4968.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	266868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4967.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	266869  

Name:	IMG_4970.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	266870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4972.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	266871  

Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How much space is there between the inner wall and the fiberglass cap? I am thinking of building a shelf there. Then open up the area at the base of the side cabinets for a nightstand.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
How much space is there between the inner wall and the fiberglass cap? I am thinking of building a shelf there. Then open up the area at the base of the side cabinets for a nightstand.
My suggestion is: DON'T MESS WITH THIS AREA. Here is what the front of your trailer looks like with the cap and most of the insulation removed.

Bob
=======
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3207.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	266885  
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I ran silicone chalk between the bed frame and wall and in the storage area all around the top and it seams to help a lot.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow Bob, that's an impressive looking build. What could possibly go wrong with the engineering put into it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ah, I see. I do not have a bookshelf like that at the head of the bed. Great work though. I wonder if the area in my storage bay is insulated in that fashion.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_TR250RDS View Post
Ah, I see. I do not have a bookshelf like that at the head of the bed. Great work though. I wonder if the area in my storage bay is insulated in that fashion.

Depends on the year of your ORV, Later years had the storage pass through insulated from the factory.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TT, ORV eliminated the "bookshelf" around the mid '17 model yr. That is when they pushed the wall forward to accommodate the 80" queen mattress on a lot of models that did not have them previously. They are insulated (at least were!!) when I took the "tour" in Feb of 2016 and saw quite a few with the front cap not yet installed. There was pretty-in-pink F/G in place in the area between the closets. I ASSumed that they had not installed the stuff in the closet area at that time for some reason (wiring, ???).

As a side note, personally, we like the "bookcase" and really don't mind the short queen mattress. The bedroom looks nicer with the shelving and provides a nice amount for stuff, including books!!! As to cooler, ???. Since the air space behind the wall is larger, I think it probably is warmer, or slower to cool down.

2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote