Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Jack it up!

New Blackrock 24KTS owner...need to be able to change flat tire. Has anyone spoken with Outdoors as to preferred way jack up. The frame rail is very high and on the right side the propane line runs along frame rail. Appreciate your help!
sierra79ausj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Best way is jack under axle at spring mount. Almost the same as trailer sitting on ground. Small hyd jack will do easily. Frame is too high to easily use jack as you note, and the axle and tire will drop as frame is lifted. And should never jack right on axle tube inside of the springs.

I carry a short 6 ton hyd bottle jack and have used a couple of times in the past. Just need to make sure the jack has the travel to lift axle high enough to get a good tire back on!!! They're taller than the flat one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
TrailerAid works for my emergency tire/wheel problems.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #4

Andersen rapid jack works well

Also consider using your existing lynx blocks to make a ramp to drive the good tire up on to raise the flat tire
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trailer aid works on our GP.

https://youtu.be/zb6NCLxOaDo
Old 03-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
Trailer aid works on our GP.

https://youtu.be/zb6NCLxOaDo

How tall of a block would you need to get one of the wheels off the ground? I have the Timber Ridge with the MorRyde 3000 suspension. When I'm on a long trip and need to either change a tire or for when I need to lube the fittings, that might be easier than using a bottle jack. I got the Lynx Levelers where I could get up 4".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
How tall of a block would you need to get one of the wheels off the ground? I have the Timber Ridge with the MorRyde 3000 suspension. When I'm on a long trip and need to either change a tire or for when I need to lube the fittings, that might be easier than using a bottle jack. I got the Lynx Levelers where I could get up 4".
This is the basic trailer saver and I tested it out a couple of years ago to see it it works before I had a roadside situation. It lifts the tire off the ground just enough to pull off a fully inflated tire. IMHO if I was stuck on the side of the road this would be quicker and safer than a jack.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

So basically you are either pulling forward or backing up on to some blocks or ramp with your good tire. This will rise the flat tire enough to change.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #9

What about wheel/axle articulation, especially with the off road suspensions?

In regards to jacking, the factory told me to use the frame.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
This is the basic trailer saver and I tested it out a couple of years ago to see it it works before I had a roadside situation. It lifts the tire off the ground just enough to pull off a fully inflated tire. IMHO if I was stuck on the side of the road this would be quicker and safer than a jack.
Read where the tire ramp typically works with tandem axles 30” or less apart. My 5200lb axles are 36” apart. I have to assume many of you have same set up. Are the tire ramps working for you? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use the Andersen Rapid Jack. Similar in concept to the above mentioned Trailer Aid. Works very well and is easier (and possibly safer?) than jacking.

ONE CAVEAT: If the tire you are driving the Rapid Jack/Trailer Aid up onto isn't fully inflated, it will probably still raise the trailer high enough to get the flat tire off, but likely not high enough to get the fully inflated spare tire mounted. Trust me on this one. I blew one tire completely and put a hole in the other and by the time I got the blown tire off, the other tire had leaked enough air that I no longer had enough height to mount the inflated spare.

In addition to the Rapid Jack, I now carry a bottle jack. And a tire plugging kit. And a compressor. And I have a TPMS...
Old 03-25-2019, 04:17 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If not using a ramp style "jack", I would still go with a jack under the spring plate. Esp with the "off road' suspension. Jacking under the frame you will need a taller jack, or more blocks (unsteady??), and when the frame goes up, the axle and tire stay down!! You're going to have that side of the trailer jacked up quite a ways compared to lifting under the axle spring plate. Axle goes up and wheel and tire go right along!!! Just my opinion and experience.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
if I was stuck on the side of the road this would be quicker and safer than a jack.
I agree.

Quote:
If not using a ramp style "jack", I would still go with a jack under the spring plate. Esp with the "off road' suspension.

So under the spring plate is the right place to jack if your using a bottle jack?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 24KTS and struggled with this issue as well. I now carry a 12 ton bottle jack and use a couple of 12x12x1” wood blocks under the jack. The head of the jack hits the center of the frame rail just to the outside of the propane line. I have plenty of lift with this setup to lift the tires off the ground. I am nervous about lifting my trailer under the axle in any location but know lots of people who swear by it.
danr43 is offline   Reply With Quote