Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Where is a list of what roads are "chain control areas"? We will be driving through California in January.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Where is a list of what roads are "chain control areas"? We will be driving through California in January.
If you are coming from Salt Lake on I-80 it is possible to run into snow/ice just about anywhere in NV. From Truckee over Donner Pass can be chain control. Watching the weather is key to a comfortable trip.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #31

WWR,

You mentioned Casa Grande in your original post. We are seriously considering heading to AZ around March and not sure what to expect when it comes to places to stay. Casa Granda and Tucson are two under consideration. Do you have any recommendations when it comes to RV parks?

If this year turns out like 2011, we will want to get away for a while. An example of what we had to deal with:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010740.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	111281  
Old 11-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytraveler View Post
WWR,

You mentioned Casa Grande in your original post. We are seriously considering heading to AZ around March and not sure what to expect when it comes to places to stay. Casa Granda and Tucson are two under consideration. Do you have any recommendations when it comes to RV parks?

If this year turns out like 2011, we will want to get away for a while. An example of what we had to deal with:
That is more snow then I want to see. Sent u PM
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To each their own, but, I have not and I will not tow my TT with snow on the ground. I don't carry chains just so I am not tempted to do so. I'll find a different route or just wait it out. It's not just the snow and ice, it's the "other guy" and his ability to drive in it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #34

My wife found this site:

National Weather Service - Western Region Headquarters
Old 11-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #35
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
WWR,

Don't eat yellow snow....
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
If you are coming from Salt Lake on I-80 it is possible to run into snow/ice just about anywhere in NV. From Truckee over Donner Pass can be chain control. Watching the weather is key to a comfortable trip.
On our upcoming trip we are heading south first to the St. George area first, then heading south from there to Death Valley and/or Joshua Tree. I feel comfortable that I know what to do when chains are required (stay put if possible!) but I understand that there are places that require you to have chains available even when you don't have to put them on. Did I understand the conversation incorrectly? I would be interested in how to know what those places are before I get there.

Around here, we usually get a pass on chains because we have a 4-wheel drive truck.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Before you go to Death Valley you better look on line to see what happened to it in October.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Before you go to Death Valley you better look on line to see what happened to it in October.
thanks for that information. I went to their Facebook page and they have video of what they say was a 1000yr storm that hit that area. Like Highway 4x4 has said if u plan on going there call ahead to the park service first to see if park open.

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Very aware of the mess in Death Valley; I posted about it a few weeks ago. We have been there before, and I really enjoy it. We haven't been to Joshua Tree which is why I am inclined to go there instead or in addition to. We have a week and a half from leaving St George Utah until we need to be in Long Beach, and I think we are just going to play it by ear. We may decide to stay mostly in Nevada instead of California, depending on weather and crowds.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Greetings one and all,

The DW and I have to travel to southern Arizona around the 10th of January.

We want to travel thru East Oregon on I84 to Twin Falls Idaho and then South on HGY 93 thru Nevada to Las Vegas Nevada and then onto Casa Garande,Arizona for our get together.

We will be pulling out unit with us. Would like to hear from anyone whom has traveled this way that time of year. We do not have chains,do we need them?

I am not able to put chains on myself. Just looking for the groups advice.

My truck is in excellent condition,new tires and runs great.

Thanks in advance..

WWR
Back to the OP question.
I live in southern Idaho and I travel on 93 all the time to Vegas and beyond with my coach.

The travel time from Twin Falls to Veags is about 10 hours driving 60 with a few stops on the way. Snow can be a problem at times but the road way is cleared very quickly because this is a main truck route.

I would not travel throught Caliente. I would turn West and go throught Lund. This will save you time plus provide 4-5 stop areas to stay at if travel get bad. Plus it will say you about a hour travel time too.

Safe travel!
Old 11-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #41

chains

You chain a trailer so it can have some braking. I will carry chains for the truck, front and back when we head to AZ. We got stopped once when we had the tent trailer, our TV was a Jeep Cherokee, they were happy with the 4wheel drive and get this, the double safety trailer chains. We had tire chains Down I-5, if it's bad over to the coast.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #42

WWRON, I know you have changed your plans but for what its worth I usually go to AZ for Jan and Feb. First night out is a short hop to Jackpot just south of Twin Falls. I ALWAYS check Hwy 93 south b/4 I ever leave Jackpot. That road has never been a problem for me but I'm sure it could be. Just dial 511 for the State you're in and check your Smart Phone for weather and roads. Get past Ely and the road starts to descend, Hwy 318, I think. We stop at Ash Springs to water up. Next stop is Valley of Fire, a really cool place to camp and you by-pass Vegas traffic. Haven't found a way to by-pass Phoenix traffic yet.

Excuse the long post.

Btw, haven't bought a set of tire chains yet! just watch the road reports.

Good traveling!

Larv