Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2017, 04:01 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for all your advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
First off.......
RV water heaters be they Suburban or Atwood should be drained flushed at least ONCE yearly.....more frequently if water source is hard

You mention NO anode rod and 'rusty' drain plug ?

Suburban uses an anode rod..STEEL tank / glass-lined
3/4" drain hole.......anode rod has a metal hex head ---1 1/16" socket (6 point is best)

Atwood...NO anode rod (aluminum tank)
1/2" drain hole (aluminum threads) uses a NYLON drain plug---7/8" or 15/16" socket (two hex head sizes ----old versions/new versions)
Hopefully no one used a metal plug...!!!

Drain/Flush routinely to maintain tank, electric element if equipped, better heat transfer when NOT scaled up
As the latest update, I'm afraid the plug with drain cock is all metal. There is no anode rod. So, lots of rust on, and around the threads of the plug and drain cock. Not wanting to mess with it until we get home and can spend more time without needing the hot water.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #16

Knowing which brand and model of tank was installed in your Wind River would help.

From what you are describing I'm assuming your tank is a Suburban. Unless the previous owner replaced the factory drain plug with an aftermarket device there's no petcock on the drain plug. The only other part on a tank with a valve of some sort would be the pressure relief valve which is near the top of the tank and its made of brass. You don't remove the PRV to drain the tank. The only reason to remove a PRV is to replace it because its defective.

How did you determine there's no anode rod as its an integral part of the drain plug? The only way you can see the anode rod is to remove the drain plug. Can you post a photo of your tank?
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #17

Actually there are a few Atwood models that came with/use a 'petcock' drain vs the standard Nylon Plug

G10-2E and G10-3E are two

Atwood #92698

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Actually there are a few Atwood models that came with/use a 'petcock' drain vs the standard Nylon Plug

G10-2E and G10-3E are two

Atwood #92698

Good to know but what's pictured is brass and shouldn't rust unlike what the OP has described. I'm assuming he doesn't have one like that. Cheers.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:20 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here's is What I Have

Took this picture this morning of the petcock (drain valve) on our water heater. As I've said before, there's no anode rod and the petcock seems to be brass, but not the actual plug it is screwed into. The plug is what I would like to remove and use a wand to clean the tank out, but afraid of what may happen given the amount of rust. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_075547.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	173022   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170815_075537.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	173023  

Old 08-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #20

Zooming in on the photos it appears the grey material around the drain plug is thread sealant which will be soft or dried out to the point of being brittle. If it is there appears to plenty of it so the plug should be fairly easy to remove. Don't be afraid to put your weight into it.

You're at the point of either removing the plug or living with a dirty tank. On the other hand if the tank is that rusted it needs to be replaced sooner than later anyway. I'd remove it. Clean it up with a wire brush first so you have a better look at what's under the rust. For ease of tank maintenance I'd also replace it with a standard plug rather than a petcock type.

If its an Atwood it'll be made of aluminum as mentioned earlier thus the reason it doesn't need an anode rod. I still think the rust is from a retaining clip used during assembly. Mine looked very much like that. Keep us posted.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #21

That is a Suburban Water Heater (cover to left of pet cock is where electric element is)

Somebody removed the anode rod, installed that petcock so they could just open and drain tank

BUT
No ANODE ROD......NO cathodic protection to the STEEL tank AND that 1/8" opening in that etcock does NOT allow crud to come out.

When you get home......
Remove it---throw it away
Clean up drain hole threads using a 3/4" NPT nipple .....screw it in/out to chase/clean threads (or use a tap if you have one)
Flush tank vigiously (plug out.stand back---turn water supply ON full and let it blast out drain hole)
Install a new anode rod.

Really want to clean it up....
remove electric element ---bigger hole PLUS element is probably all caked up

Lazy people just make things harder----petcock??
Old 08-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks for all the comments and advise. Sounds like I have some work to do soon. I'm finding out a 7 year old trailer needs some maintenance just like most stick builts, but overall, this Wind River is still a great trailer!
Old 09-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Update

Quote:
That is a Suburban Water Heater (cover to left of pet cock is where electric element is)

Somebody removed the anode rod, installed that petcock so they could just open and drain tank

BUT
No ANODE ROD......NO cathodic protection to the STEEL tank AND that 1/8" opening in that etcock does NOT allow crud to come out.

When you get home......
Remove it---throw it away
Clean up drain hole threads using a 3/4" NPT nipple .....screw it in/out to chase/clean threads (or use a tap if you have one)
Flush tank vigiously (plug out.stand back---turn water supply ON full and let it blast out drain hole)
Install a new anode rod.

Really want to clean it up....
remove electric element ---bigger hole PLUS element is probably all caked up

Lazy people just make things harder----petcock??
Finally got our trailer home and I removed the drain plug and found it was an aftermarket rod with a drain cock "RV Trailer NW LEISURE Tank Saver Water Heater Anode Rod". You can view it on Amazon. The rod had been reduced to about 4" long and the diameter of a pencil. I did as Old Biscuit suggested and cleaned the threads and flushed the tank after inspecting the heating element, which was good and relatively clean. I replace the rod with a standard one and also replaced the pop off valve. Haven't checked the volume yet, but there's no leaks so life is good!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #24

Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #25

Thanks for the up date............

Now heat up some water and check how much hot water you get.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have found Old Biscuit to be a wealth of information. Once again I learned something new. If I ever find myself next to him in an RV park I will have to buy/offer him his beverage of choice.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I have found Old Biscuit to be a wealth of information. Once again I learned something new. If I ever find myself next to him in an RV park I will have to buy/offer him his beverage of choice.
Thank you!

It would be my pleasure to share/swap stories while partaking in a cold beverage.......or hot one depending on time of day
Old 09-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
Same here, except we're not going west anytime soon. Our next, extended trip is to Florida in January but may need to change plans.

Tags
water