Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Under Frefer Storage/Shoe Storage

Under Refer Storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under Fridge Storage.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	94910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoe Storage (2).jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	94911  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Added Shelf To TV Cabinet

Click image for larger version

Name:	Added Shelf.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	94912
Old 05-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #17

Lots of mods here but I don't know what or why they were made. Could you please add some narrative to these?
Blackstone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone1 View Post
Lots of mods here but I don't know what or why they were made. Could you please add some narrative to these?
Welcome Blackstone1 to iRV2!

Most mods are done to add storage space or for convenience to make the trailer more comfortable and useful to the owner. Some are for upgrading what comes with the trailer to a better brand you like. Examples: we added a screen door bar to our trailer door. It allows me to grab it to close the door without opening the slide to get a hold of the handle. Lots of frigs in trailers have an unused space below them. Some have opened it up and even put a door on the area to add storage. Some of our cabinets have no shelves. By adding a shelf you can use all that upper unused space in the cabinet. Some have added pull out drawers in the pantry to make it easier to reach the things in the back. Check out some of the mod sections on the Travel Trailer thread to see more or just google mods done on TT's. You might find something that you want to do to your own.

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:00 PM   #19

I thank you for your reply. After looking at some of your mods I have decided to looks into a couple for our trailer. I will post questions at a couple that I'm not sure what they are.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
LBZYA,

Your mods are great! Why did you select such a "top of the line" thermostat compared to something like this for about $40?

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
This seems to be a popular subject/thread in other forums.
Thanks JohnRR! And excellent sticky!

Bob
Old 05-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well I am so proud of myself! I had a few moments today to solve a problem that I frequently suffered during our winter/spring excursion this year. We had a whole lot of rain during much of our trip and whenever I had to open either side of the exterior pass through compartment the rain gutter spout dripped water, usually cold, directly onto the top of the open compartment door which then splashed into my face and dribbled into the front edge of the open compartment. I hated that!

So I bought two more gutter spouts just like the original factory units, trimmed them a little and glued them (RV Goop) underneath the originals so that they extended outward about 2 inches past the originals. Clearly I have too much time on my hands....

I would have posted a photo but the Goop is still curing and the masking tape that is temporarily holding them all together appears un-craftsmanlike...

Bob
Old 05-24-2015, 07:24 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone1 View Post
Ok,
-L Brackets on Steps, this mod was done because the entire step unit would shift front to back of the RV. This really makes for a sturdier/safer entry into the trailer.

-Clear Door Glass, did this mod to have more visibility.

-Spare Tire Relocate, did this mod because I needed to carry bikes on the back and the tire mounted to the bumper was in the way.

-Thermostat, did this mod because the swing on the original thermostat was not adjustable. This thermostat is also programmable so I can set it back at night and automatically raise in the morning.

-Knife Sharpener, did this mod to gain more storage in the drawers.

-Charging Station, did this mod because with the TV mounted to the wall the 12v cigarette lighter was inaccessible and it seems that electronics now a days use a USB to charge.

-Hitch Bar Holders, did this mod because I do not like leaving items out for the temptation of others.

-Cable TV and 30amp Inlet Upgrades, did this mod because the factory inlets were of inferior quality.

-Equalizer and Shackle Upgrade, did this mod because I was looking for better ride and more stability from the trailer.

-Carpet Holder, its just that. It stores the patio carpet for quick access and use.

-Reading Lights, the trailer did not come with any reading lights so I added them.

-Shoe Storage, our model of trailer came with a panel closing this area off. After further investigation I removed the panel so that we can store our shoes in this cabinet.

-Shelf in TV cabinet, our model did not come with any shelves so I decided to add one in the TV cabinet to allow for more storage.

Any other questions fell free to ask.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
LBZYA,

Your mods are great! Why did you select such a "top of the line" thermostat compared to something like this for about $40?

Bob
Isn't this the way the ORV crowd runs, nothing but the top of the line gear.

Well I have a buddy in the HVAC trade and he swapped out a bunch of these and he gave me a couple of them. Over kill, yes. Cool to have, absolutely.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:11 AM   #25

Very nice explanation of your mods! Thanks! I plan on investigating the access panel below our pantry for more storage. I probably would have just said I'll live with it but now I've been inspired.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 AM   #26

Thanks for the welcome geocacher! We geocache, too. Maybe we'll stumble across each other someday.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
Isn't this the way the ORV crowd runs, nothing but the top of the line gear.

Well I have a buddy in the HVAC trade and he swapped out a bunch of these and he gave me a couple of them. Over kill, yes. Cool to have, absolutely.
Thanks! A good buddy! Does he have another one left over?

Where did you find the tiny switch for the fan speed? I've done this mod twice on previous rigs and always had to mount the switch nearby on the wall since I could not find one small enough to fit inside the thermostat housing.

Bob
Old 05-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #28
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Well I am so proud of myself! I had a few moments today to solve a problem that I frequently suffered during our winter/spring excursion this year. We had a whole lot of rain during much of our trip and whenever I had to open either side of the exterior pass through compartment the rain gutter spout dripped water, usually cold, directly onto the top of the open compartment door which then splashed into my face and dribbled into the front edge of the open compartment. I hated that!

So I bought two more gutter spouts just like the original factory units, trimmed them a little and glued them (RV Goop) underneath the originals so that they extended outward about 2 inches past the originals. Clearly I have too much time on my hands....

I would have posted a photo but the Goop is still curing and the masking tape that is temporarily holding them all together appears un-craftsmanlike...

Bob
Bob... You can always raise the front of your trailer.!!! or to save money you could have removed the rear spouts and used them.
Why do you think ORV give out and or sell the ORV hats!!! I wear my ORV hat with a rain slicker..... given the extra width you'll need oversize permits to tow.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door