RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #435

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes. That remote will provide +12vdc to whatever you want. But if you want to just complete a circuit, e.g. to ground, you will also need a relay like this. In this case the remote will operate the relay which in turn will open or close the circuit.

Bob

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #436

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
Yes. That remote will provide +12vdc to whatever you want. But if you want to just complete a circuit, e.g. to ground, you will also need a relay like this. In this case the remote will operate the relay which in turn will open or close the circuit.

Bob
So I need the remote AND the relay. I assume the relay and the remote "box" sit up in the vent by the fan motor, since that is where the existing switch wiring is located, and I'm guessing that's where this needs to tap into the wiring.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #437

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
So I need the remote AND the relay. I assume the relay and the remote "box" sit up in the vent by the fan motor, since that is where the existing switch wiring is located, and I'm guessing that's where this needs to tap into the wiring.
For our rig, the fan motor on/off switch closes and opens the circuit to ground, thus the need for the relay. Before ordering parts, I suggest you verify that is the case for your fan. I placed the remote receiver and relay within the fan enclosure.

I also installed remotes to operate the bedroom lights and the vent lid. In our rig the factory switches were behind the door and very inconvenient to get to. Since the switches for these only provide power, relays were not needed.

The end result is that we can operate the bedroom vent lid, the fan motor and the bedroom ceiling lights with wall mounted key fob remotes located in the bedroom itself and in the living area.

Bob
Old 05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #438

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Bob that is a great idea, I will have to do that as the overhead lites in the bedroom are tough to get to . Chris
motcrew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:34 AM   #439

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by motcrew12 View Post
Bob that is a great idea, I will have to do that as the overhead lites in the bedroom are tough to get to . Chris
Yes it is a great idea, just what one would expect from Mr. Wonderful!

But it this case, I think someone else first posted this on iRV2, or elsewhere.

Have a great day!

Mr. Wonderful
Old 06-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #440

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Smile Improving the jackknife sofa

Just finished having the jackknife sofa in our Creekside 22RB rebuilt/reupholstered to solve 3 issues. The original couch was chocolate "pleather", slippery to sit on, had a very puffy back that decreased the sitting area and made a horribly unlevel bed when laid out. It was also very dark, needed to lighten things up.

Link to ORV pics: ORV | Creek Side 22RB

1. Hated the "pleather."
2. Needed a more comfortable couch to sit on
3. Needed it to make a better bed (lay down flat and be comfortable)

Really like the finished look. Even had an arm rest made for one side. Also had the bottom dinette cushions covered to match (they were also "pleather.")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	129253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0408.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	558.3 KB
ID:	129254  

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	129255  
Msbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #441

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehavin View Post
Just finished having the jackknife sofa in our Creekside 22RB rebuilt/reupholstered to solve 3 issues. The original couch was chocolate "pleather", slippery to sit on, had a very puffy back that decreased the sitting area and made a horribly unlevel bed when laid out. It was also very dark, needed to lighten things up.

Link to ORV pics: ORV | Creek Side 22RB

1. Hated the "pleather."
2. Needed a more comfortable couch to sit on
3. Needed it to make a better bed (lay down flat and be comfortable)

Really like the finished look. Even had an arm rest made for one side. Also had the bottom dinette cushions covered to match (they were also "pleather.")

Looks great! We have worn out our sofa and it was uncomfortable to start with! So we would like to do something similar with ours. Would you be willing to tell us who did it for you? Either on the forum or PM. Thanks!

Bob
Old 06-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #442

Nice job with the couch and dinette! It looks like it will be very comfortable and give you years of great service.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #443

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Final Touch Upholstery in Kennewick. They have a lot of experience with boats and RVs as well as traditional work. We may also have a small footstool made to match.

We put upgraded foam in the couch and dinette cushions.

Final Touch Upholstery | Kennewick, WA
Msbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #444

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehavin View Post
Final Touch Upholstery in Kennewick. They have a lot of experience with boats and RVs as well as traditional work. We may also have a small footstool made to match.

We put upgraded foam in the couch and dinette cushions.

Final Touch Upholstery | Kennewick, WA
Many thanks! I'll give them a shot at our sofa.

Bob
Old 06-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #445

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a good manual Maxxair fan installed in the bedroom by the dealer before we took delivery. Problem is you have to climb on the bed to reach it! After 2 years, we decided to replace the bedroom fan with an automatic one and move the old fan to the bathroom. DH was going to do it, but we had to have some road debris damage repaired so we had the service guy do it. Wonderful!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #446

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467166435.954464.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	131571
Add this to the CreekSide 20FQ
SanDiegoPinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #447

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoPinky View Post
Attachment 131571
Add this to the CreekSide 20FQ

Nice! Kool and Kozy! I see you broke the name change code! Congratulations!

IdahoBob
Old 07-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #448

Winnebago Owners Club
How far can your phone be from the weboost 4g-x inside antenna.

The instructions say 18 to 36 inches but that is pretty restrictive for an RV unless I want to sit up front every time I use the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I made a modification today that could be made to any RV. I bought and set up a cell phone signal booster. Where I am parked now, I would get one, and sometimes, two bars on a five bar scale on my smart phone. I use my smart phone for nearly all communications with everyone that I know that is not an amateur radio operator (most folks I know). For others I have a DeLorme InReach that works pretty well, and the amateur radio folks I know can be reached in a few different ways when needed.

The story about getting it up and runnign is a little funny, as in funny/a little confusing/screw that, it works anyways.

My cell phone and internet provider, who I will not name outright but it sounds kinda close to "H o rizon", is a strange company to deal with at times. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they can be a bit of a pain if you have a problem. They also have great coverage across the western US where I spend nearly all of my time, in that my cell phone works in places I often am surprised to find I have any service at all.

I've been thinking about getting a signal booster for the travel trailer in order to give myself a little help when I'm away from civilization (where I prefer to be). I noticed that Camping World was selling one that was rated pretty well, and it came with a 12v power plug for when I want to run off of the trailer batteries. The weboost RV 4G, $400.

On the box, it states "You must have your cell service provider's consent to use this device". I called my (unnamed cell phone service provider's) customer service and asked them, but they didn't know, and wanted to talk to technical support about it. I got a call back about fifteen minutes later telling me that they "only allow cell phone signal boosters that (we) exclusively sell for use on our network", and "we don't sell any at this time".

I bought the unit anyways after doing some research. Turns out my cell phone provider has a web page where a customer can register their cell phone signal booster, per FCC regulations, and on that web page, it says that successful registration is an agreement between both parties to operate the unit according to the regulations and consent to use it on the network. Boo-yaa!!!

I did. I am. Screw them.

One bar is now three to four bars on a five bar scale. I guess I should put this in the product review section.

Tags
door