Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 AM   #561

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
Ok,
-L Brackets on Steps, this mod was done because the entire step unit would shift front to back of the RV. This really makes for a sturdier/safer entry into the trailer.

-Clear Door Glass, did this mod to have more visibility.

-Spare Tire Relocate, did this mod because I needed to carry bikes on the back and the tire mounted to the bumper was in the way.

-Thermostat, did this mod because the swing on the original thermostat was not adjustable. This thermostat is also programmable so I can set it back at night and automatically raise in the morning.

-Knife Sharpener, did this mod to gain more storage in the drawers.

-Charging Station, did this mod because with the TV mounted to the wall the 12v cigarette lighter was inaccessible and it seems that electronics now a days use a USB to charge.

-Hitch Bar Holders, did this mod because I do not like leaving items out for the temptation of others.

-Cable TV and 30amp Inlet Upgrades, did this mod because the factory inlets were of inferior quality.

-Equalizer and Shackle Upgrade, did this mod because I was looking for better ride and more stability from the trailer.

-Carpet Holder, its just that. It stores the patio carpet for quick access and use.

-Reading Lights, the trailer did not come with any reading lights so I added them.

-Shoe Storage, our model of trailer came with a panel closing this area off. After further investigation I removed the panel so that we can store our shoes in this cabinet.

-Shelf in TV cabinet, our model did not come with any shelves so I decided to add one in the TV cabinet to allow for more storage.

Any other questions fell free to ask.
What did you use for patio rug holder...great idea
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #562

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Lots of good easily done projects here. Enough o keep me busy for awhile. One item I knew I needed to do first thing with the new TT was to protect the lower portion of the hatch door frames. Getting heavy and clumsy things in like a tool box and ramps to get the dirt bike out of the box of the truck was sure to damage the door frames and compromise sealing and or make closing more difficult. I ripped and notched out some scrap 2x4's so they are about 1/4" higher than the frame pre-drilled and screwed them to the deck.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #563

Mods to our 20FQ

This is my first post to this forum so I apologize in advance for whatever I screw up.

We've had our 20FQ since February and have made three trips from the Pacific NW to So. Cal. this year. Prior to that we had a hybrid trailer that didn't work well in cold weather. We're very happy with the quality and versatility of the 20FQ.

Here are the modifications I've made since getting the trailer.

Added wireless remote for light over dinette
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5296.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	147113
We are a vertically challenged family and the light over the dinette was too far to reach without standing on the seat cushion. These little switches come with an inline transmitter that is spliced into the hot lead on the light fixture. These are cheap and a little flakey and sometimes I have to pull it off the wall and hold it under the llight but even so it's a great improvement. The stock LED fixture works great with the dimming function so we can eat in the evening under dim light and see the view outside. Bought a pack of two from Amazon here:
AMAZECO Mini LED Controller Dimmer with RF Wireless Remote Control DC 5~24V 12A at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Replaced the full width bolster across the back of the trailer with four individual soft cushions. We find these much more flexible and comfortable to move around and lean against. Also good for sitting on at the campsite picnic table if you want to linger over dinner outside.

Name:	IMG_5297.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	147100

Installed clear glass into the door as others have done:

Name:	IMG_5298.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	147116

Replaced the tinny stock speakers with better units, also from Amazon (drop right in):

Name:	IMG_5299.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	147102
Polk Audio DB651 6.5"/6.75" 2-Way Marine Certified db Series Car Speakers with Liquid Cooled Silk Tweeters
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put up Command hooks and shelves EVERYWHERE.

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	147114

Installed a Fantastic Roof Vent Fan in the Bedroom:

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	147104

Added a 2X4 on edge across the stringers under the bed in order to reduce the sagging towards the center.

Name:	IMG_5301.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	147103

I've also installed two 100W Renogy solar panels on the roof using the wiring that came with the trailer. I have a 100W portable panel that I plug into the side port if the trailer panels are in the shade. As our daily electrical needs are modest this works well for us if I remember to set out the portable early in the day.

We have a Big Buddy heater for emergencies but the trailer is well insulated enough that the stock furnace only ran twice at the lowest setting when we were in Yosemite Valley with the temps in the upper 20s at night.
dkingpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #564

Outdoors RV Owners Club
BTW Welcome to the forums!

I'm envious you've had it less than a year and already have some nice mods!
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #565

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am putting of the mods and upgrades till I decide if I am going to keep this unit. I might be kidding.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #566

Replaced factory installed 80 lb bed lifter Pistons with 120 lb purchased from Amazon yesterday. They just snap in place. 10 min. install.

Works well.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #567

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkingpt View Post
[snip]
We are a vertically challenged family and the light over the dinette was too far to reach without standing on the seat cushion. These little switches come with an inline transmitter that is spliced into the hot lead on the light fixture. These are cheap and a little flakey and sometimes I have to pull it off the wall and hold it under the llight but even so it's a great improvement. The stock LED fixture works great with the dimming function so we can eat in the evening under dim light and see the view outside. Bought a pack of two from Amazon here:
AMAZECO Mini LED Controller Dimmer with RF Wireless Remote Control DC 5~24V 12A at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[snip]
That Amazeco switch is pretty inexpensive. Hmmm... Wonder if it would work for turning the fan in the bathroom of our WR on/off? Looks like it is rated for 12A. I will have to check the draw of the fan, but this might be an easy solution. Still not sure why ORV didn't add a wall switch for this fan on the WR to start with...
Old 01-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #568

Mattress Replacement Alternative

Have noticed several have changed out their mattress. Now that we have been living in our Creekside for the past couple of months, we too were considering a replacement. Before paying for a new mattress, I decided to try a memory foam topper first.

Went with a 2" DreamFoam gel memory foam topper from amazon. It made huge improvement... for only $60.... no need for an entirely new mattress. We now sleep very well.

Here's the link for what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #569

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainBird-OR View Post
Have noticed several have changed out their mattress. Now that we have been living in our Creekside for the past couple of months, we too were considering a replacement. Before paying for a new mattress, I decided to try a memory foam topper first.

Went with a 2" DreamFoam gel memory foam topper from amazon. It made huge improvement... for only $60.... no need for an entirely new mattress. We now sleep very well.

Here's the link for what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Did you get the queen or short queen? Being 6'4", would this topper sustain someone my size?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #570

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a topper in our TC, changed the mattress in the fiver on day 1. Topper is OK and does makd it better, but there is no substitute for a quality residential mattress.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #571

Just the regular queen. Only 2" too long. Easy to trim to size.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #572

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I sleep like a rock on the factory installed mattress and so does Cannon.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #573

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Steve, don't you know we're not supposed to like how the manufacturers build and equip their products!!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Hawkins View Post
The extended shelf and three drawers were order from Outdoors RV when we ordered the trailer. I had to buy the hinges locally and mount it. Everything else is from scratch. I installed the three drawers where there were pockets but no drawers. I put one under the drawer that is under the wardrobe next to the couch, the top one where the three drawers are next to the stove and one under the lower shelf, which I added also, on the pantry.
Just want to install a couple of reading lamps above the bed under the cabinet and a swing out rod with a curtain on the back side of the bathroom door.

Wes.
Wes,

Like your extended storage mods. Started a thread about these exact mods 1 few weeks back and did not get any good responces. I purchased a 2016 Creekside 23RKS in the fall and would like to do the exact mods that you did on your unit. I understand that you got most of the drawers/fronts from Outdoor RV. I have a few questions:

!) Who did you deal with at ORV? Phone #?

2) Will ORV fabricate the extended shelf to our specifications(20"D X 16"W) with matching counter top? Did they supply the hinge? What is the product # of the extended shelf hinge?

3)Did ORV supply drawers in pantry? Sliders? Product #?

4) Did you look at putting drawers(2) in unit across from bathroom door(under the radio)?

5) That slide out shelf under the stove. Did you order door or fabricate yourself? Slider product #.

6) Will ORV do the work or are they just an assembly/manufacturing company?

7) Do you have any kind of stops on the pantry drawers in case of rough roads?

8) Is your TT the same year and model as ours?

Hope to hear from you and again, nice work.

Dave
2016 Creekside 23RKS 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex inverter, 4 GC2 batteries 450AH, 2016 F350 CC SB diesel 4x4, Cooper 275 R70 17 studded snows in winter, Michelin 245/75R 17 A/T2 the rest of the year. https://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca
crosscheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door