Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #855

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the input and ideas Indiana, I will have a look at this once I can get my trailer out of storage. My plan was to reinforce the area with an aluminum plate and yes the bed structure is same as the picture that you posted, gives me lots to think about while I patiently wait for all this snow to melt. The region broke a 1948 record for most snow in a single day this past week and it snowed for 2.5 days without a break. I currently have 4 to six feet of snow in my yard, no room to bring the trailer home anytime soon. Mexico is looking pretty good right about now.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #856
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
At least it’s not blowing and 30below with out windchill. Good luck with the snow. We had 86f or 30c on Friday in Palm Springs.

Coops:
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:53 PM   #857

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
At least it’s not blowing and 30below with out windchill. Good luck with the snow. We had 86f or 30c on Friday in Palm Springs.

Coops:
Old 02-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #858

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm not jealous, just very envious. Looking forward to retirement and the travels that will bring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post

Coops:
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #859

Finally got to a bunch of stuff I have wanted to do on the 18DB. We have had it a year now.

1. 12 Volt Charging Station. Tapped off the 12 gauge wire from the Stereo. Used Blue Sea Below Deck Blank Deck. Comes with all wiring and 15 amp circuit breaker on/off switch. I put 2 of their Fast USB charger which is 4.8 amps and will charge tables. Put in one 12 volt socket. I use that to charge my Bose soundlink portable speaker. See photo album

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TnxpfnAtso9opFzA3

2. I installed a couple more cool things. I purchased this teak galley table. https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...Table&i=323686

Its better than I could have expected. I did have a small piece of wood on the back I had to remove but installed really nice. I put a backer panel on the backside of the panel i screwed it to. Love it. See album link below.

3. I installed a couple more teak items. I figure time and energy it was easier to buy it and then stain it than make it. The table above was teak but had like a finish on it so i could not stain it the rest of the stuff was like raw teak and it took stain well.

This cup rack i turned into a TP holder in the bathroom.
https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...-Rack&i=323693

This became a wine rack. It was a bit spendy but its teak.
https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...-Rack&i=323701

This magazine rack was put by the bed. https://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...-Rack&i=316627

here is a link to my album that shows all of this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LHB9fsm9vVPl7GI83
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #860

Outdoors RV Owners Club
12v Charging Station

Hello ajohansson:

I read your other post and noticed you chose Blue Sea System for your charging system.It seems that they cost 3X as much as other suppliers, which previously installed & posted by other members in this forum. They might be a higher quality product but I just wonder if it is better by that margin? Have you looked into other made before making a decision to go with Blue Sea?

BTW, your other mods looks fantastic.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #861

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
Hello ajohansson:

I read your other post and noticed you chose Blue Sea System for your charging system.It seems that they cost 3X as much as other suppliers, which previously installed & posted by other members in this forum. They might be a higher quality product but I just wonder if it is better by that margin? Have you looked into other made before making a decision to go with Blue Sea?

Any suggestions or experience with other brands?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana View Post
Hello ajohansson:

I had installed Powerwerx products before and I really liked them. Bluesea is about 20% more in cost compared to powerwerx for the usb modules. I am not sure what brand others are using. I went with bluesea (which powerwerx also sells) for a couple of reasons.

The bluesea panel has a couple advantages over the powerwerx IMHO. First one is the holes to mount the panel are spaced further away from modules which makes it easier for me to get material behind the holes to mount it to. There was no way that I could mount the panel to the light weight plywood with people pulling usb cables in and out. When I looked at the powerwerx template the holes were so close to the modules I worried I would be very close to the mounting wood.

The next advantage I saw was the built in on/off switch with built in circuit breaker. I wanted a power shut off and this also needed to be fused so it killed two birds with one stone. Also the powerwerx power switch they sell had some bad reviews. The bluesea 3 hole panel that comes with the switch/circuit breaker and all the wiring between the modules is $17. In comparison a powerwerx panel with 4 holes (need one hole for their switch) is $8 and then you have to buy their switch witch is $10. And the powerwerx switch is not a circuit breaker. So we are at $18 for the powerwerx, no circuit breaker so I have put in an inline fuse and it does not come with the wiring so there is cutting, stripping, crimping yada yada. Not a huge expense but its still more money to do the powerwerx at this point.

So now to the modules. I have been playing with USB modules for a while now with my Excursion. I mounted some poly planar brand in the back of my center console for the kids to power their phones, tablets etc. They have been pretty good but I would not use them again because not there are plenty that do 4.8 amps. It was the only one at the time that I could get at least one usb with 2.4.

In my wifes old 2001 mercedes wagon I used some powerwerx in the rear area for phone/tablet charging. They eventually failed after 6 months. They were fused. Powerwerx agreed to warranty them but I ended up selling that car before I sent them back.

So now on to this install. I agree that there are cheaper modules out there. Bluesea 4.8 charger is average $32. Having had an issue with powerwerx which costs $24 and already deciding the bluesea panel would be the best mount and has built in circuit breaker I decided I would spend the extra $8. I have seen modules much cheaper even than powerwerx like on amazon for $15 but I think Bluesea makes a great product that is meant to meet the standards of an ocean vessel and to me worth the cost. The 12 volt sockets from Blue sea are on par cost with powerwerx.

Maybe way more info than you cared to know but this is what went into the decision to go with Blue sea.

AJ
Old 03-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #863

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
Maybe way more info than you cared to know but this is what went into the decision to go with Blue sea.
Thanks for the logical view on things So, did you notice if the harness has enough length to connect things vertical vs. horizontal?
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #864

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Any suggestions or experience with other brands?
I first came across this mod on page 48 of this thread. Reply #662 shows Amazon is the source for another brand. If you follow the link, you'll find there are few more suppliers that asking 1/3 the cost of the Blue Sea System. However, most of them have mixed review on their quality. Therefore I still haven't implement this mod.

From what I find on the net, this Blue Sea product gives me an impression that it is manufactured locally in WA. Hopefully its quality justify its cost.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #865

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
I had installed Powerwerx products before and I really liked them. Bluesea is about 20% more in cost compared to powerwerx for the usb modules. I am not sure what brand others are using. I went with bluesea (which powerwerx also sells) for a couple of reasons.

The bluesea panel has a couple advantages over the powerwerx IMHO. First one is the holes to mount the panel are spaced further away from modules which makes it easier for me to get material behind the holes to mount it to. There was no way that I could mount the panel to the light weight plywood with people pulling usb cables in and out. When I looked at the powerwerx template the holes were so close to the modules I worried I would be very close to the mounting wood.

The next advantage I saw was the built in on/off switch with built in circuit breaker. I wanted a power shut off and this also needed to be fused so it killed two birds with one stone. Also the powerwerx power switch they sell had some bad reviews. The bluesea 3 hole panel that comes with the switch/circuit breaker and all the wiring between the modules is $17. In comparison a powerwerx panel with 4 holes (need one hole for their switch) is $8 and then you have to buy their switch witch is $10. And the powerwerx switch is not a circuit breaker. So we are at $18 for the powerwerx, no circuit breaker so I have put in an inline fuse and it does not come with the wiring so there is cutting, stripping, crimping yada yada. Not a huge expense but its still more money to do the powerwerx at this point.

So now to the modules. I have been playing with USB modules for a while now with my Excursion. I mounted some poly planar brand in the back of my center console for the kids to power their phones, tablets etc. They have been pretty good but I would not use them again because not there are plenty that do 4.8 amps. It was the only one at the time that I could get at least one usb with 2.4.

In my wifes old 2001 mercedes wagon I used some powerwerx in the rear area for phone/tablet charging. They eventually failed after 6 months. They were fused. Powerwerx agreed to warranty them but I ended up selling that car before I sent them back.

So now on to this install. I agree that there are cheaper modules out there. Bluesea 4.8 charger is average $32. Having had an issue with powerwerx which costs $24 and already deciding the bluesea panel would be the best mount and has built in circuit breaker I decided I would spend the extra $8. I have seen modules much cheaper even than powerwerx like on amazon for $15 but I think Bluesea makes a great product that is meant to meet the standards of an ocean vessel and to me worth the cost. The 12 volt sockets from Blue sea are on par cost with powerwerx.

AJ
This explanation is a great help! I think I'll go with your choice of charging panel, too. I've gone w/ Blue Sea for most house electrical in Flatnose Frank due to quality and durability and solid ratings and reviews. I know I'll be fixing and replacing things, I just want to minimize my risk and have peace of mind (for a while) for some of the critical electrical components.
BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:46 PM   #866

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also use Blue Sea and have found that there is a slightly better quality. I particularly like the quality of the wires (if supplied) they come with. If given a close $ choice, I'll pay extra for the Blue Sea, already knowing it is generally a better product.
My $.02
Old 03-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
Thanks for the logical view on things So, did you notice if the harness has enough length to connect things vertical vs. horizontal?
There is no difference. You cannot change the orientation of the plug in modules with the Bluesea. Which is really not that big of a deal if you orient the panel vertically with non display modules like USB ports or 12 volt socket ports. Now if you wanted to put in something with a display like a voltage read out then you cant orient it correctly in the bluesea in a vertical position. It would be cool if the made the panel with a vertical option.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #868

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks, the display is the main reason for considering a panel like that and what little data I saw/found made me question the vertical position.
TyCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door