RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #1177

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And where did you find those boxes to put the generators in?

Thanks!

//KMac

kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #1178

Outdoors RV Owners Club
FOR THOSE WITH SLIDEOUT COVERS!!!

There are lots of threads about slideout awnings holding rain, and many ways others have taken to help prevent sagging and stretching from a big puddle of water on the fabric. Here is a way I will be trying this camping year to prevent or lessen rain sag and fabric stretch on our 169" wide slide!!

Picked up a pool water bag 1 ft X 8 ft and modified to be air filled. Those with pools and use covers know what these do. They can be bought in many lengths, double tube, etc. Figured that 8 ft will keep the center raised enough to drain better, but can always go for a longer one if need be.

Went to dollar store, bought a couple of kids pool toys with the typical vinyl air valve. Cut out valve, cut hole in pool water bag, and practiced with a couple of diff adhesives. The Loctite pictured worked great, actually seemed to weld the 2 vinyls together!! The large water fill plug doesn't leak, very low pressure in bag when inflated. Takes aboot 5 mins with Harbor Freight compressor to fill to a nice firm size. Have left inflated for about a week in garage with very little loss of pressure, probably temp change the biggest culprit.

I carry a 5 ft folding ladder (don't really want to go up any higher except in a major emerg!!) and can reach the top of slide and push bag into position easily. Longer bag probably even easier to position!! Bag has stayed in place even in some good winds lately. Time will tell how well this works, and I'll report any negs and pluses as the spring goes!!!

So far total cost of this idea has been about $8, and have extra toy valves if need to go to a longer bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3315.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	244228   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3319.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	439.8 KB
ID:	244229  

Name:	SAM_3321.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	462.8 KB
ID:	244230   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3320.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	244231  

2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
FOR THOSE WITH SLIDEOUT COVERS!!!

There are lots of threads about slideout awnings holding rain, and many ways others have taken to help prevent sagging and stretching from a big puddle of water on the fabric. Here is a way I will be trying this camping year to prevent or lessen rain sag and fabric stretch on our 169" wide slide!!

Picked up a pool water bag 1 ft X 8 ft and modified to be air filled. Those with pools and use covers know what these do. They can be bought in many lengths, double tube, etc. Figured that 8 ft will keep the center raised enough to drain better, but can always go for a longer one if need be.

Went to dollar store, bought a couple of kids pool toys with the typical vinyl air valve. Cut out valve, cut hole in pool water bag, and practiced with a couple of diff adhesives. The Loctite pictured worked great, actually seemed to weld the 2 vinyls together!! The large water fill plug doesn't leak, very low pressure in bag when inflated. Takes aboot 5 mins with Harbor Freight compressor to fill to a nice firm size. Have left inflated for about a week in garage with very little loss of pressure, probably temp change the biggest culprit.

I carry a 5 ft folding ladder (don't really want to go up any higher except in a major emerg!!) and can reach the top of slide and push bag into position easily. Longer bag probably even easier to position!! Bag has stayed in place even in some good winds lately. Time will tell how well this works, and I'll report any negs and pluses as the spring goes!!!

So far total cost of this idea has been about $8, and have extra toy valves if need to go to a longer bag.

Ooooooh I really like this idea. We have a ~30ft full wall slide that’s problematic when it’s windy. Has anyone seen longer pool bags, say 15ft?

The main problem for us is wind flapping the ends. I’ve been tempted to make endcaps from trash bags and expanding foam then strap them down.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 AM   #1180

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Slide Cover

We use beach balls to lift the center of our 14' awning to keep water from pooling. I use a ladder and a broom stick to push the balls towards the center. Very effective and cheap to replace.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #1181

Knowing me, I'd never remember to remove these things before retracting my slide. Do you use any kind of reminder?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:24 AM   #1182

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Knowing me, I'd never remember to remove these things before retracting my slide. Do you use any kind of reminder?
No reminder. Sorry. We just add it to our list of things we do to close everything up on our trailer. My wife does her thing, and I do mine and we've gotten fairly good at taking care of things before leaving a camp site.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
We put some plywood shims under our slide when it's in so we can walk on it. They need to be removed before extending the slide. I got a small piece of paper and wrote remove wood on it. Then got some clear scotch tape and taped it under the slide switch.
Also did the same thing to remind me to unscrew the water pressure regulator when we leave. I have an outdoor compartment where my water supplies are stored and taped a note there.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #1184

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I posted this in the regular section earlier. Thought this might be a better place. I thought I had enough hanger space in the three other closets, so I built shelving inside the wardrobe slide. I used 1x2 fir and cut a dado in it . I used 1 1/2 inch deck screws and glue to attach it to the walls. And put 1/8 fiber board in. I supported the front with pieces of the fir hidden behind the cabinet front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	245263  
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #1185

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Digital Theremostat

Just installed a digital thermostat. And not just any digital thermostat. This one has the distinction of being modified (to add the high/low fan switch) by none other than IdahoBob! I fully expect this to be a collector's item someday...

Thanks again Bob! I couldn't have done this without your expert guidance (and patience!).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	245491  
Old 05-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #1186

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love my digital programmable thermostat. It's the best mod I made to my trailer, and it was cheap and easy.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #1187

Made a place for the garbage can in our 25RDS
Tote on the counter goes on the upper shelf. Still room for the sink covers on the bottom left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	grbage can1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	245497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garbage can 2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	245498  

Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #1188

Nice! Not having built in trash is super annoying.
justinpirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #1189

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Just installed a digital thermostat. And not just any digital thermostat. This one has the distinction of being modified (to add the high/low fan switch) by none other than IdahoBob! I fully expect this to be a collector's item someday...

Thanks again Bob! I couldn't have done this without your expert guidance (and patience!).

So inquiring minds need to know, How the 2 speed fan modification done? Mechanical switch or a board level / firmware modification?
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #1190

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump010 View Post
So inquiring minds need to know, How the 2 speed fan modification done? Mechanical switch or a board level / firmware modification?
Bob will likely chime in here but there is an added 2-position switch on the left side of the thermostat that isn't really very visible in that picture. Here's a pic that shows it a bit better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Thermostat2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	245501  

Tags
door