RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #1

Lighting issues

I have a 2014 creekside 27bhs. The lights in the pass through and the white utility LEDs on the shell near the tongue are not working. I got a wiring diagram from ORV but I'm a little out of my league.

I got into the wiring junction box in the underbelly and though it looks ugly, it seems everything is tight and we'll crimped.

Any ideas?

Also, can anyone tell me what these two switches do? I know one shuts off the 10w solar panel, what's the other?Click image for larger version

Name:	1570570666217.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	262967

skibummin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm thinking the other switch "red one" is for electric hot water tank, pull the outside vent cover off the HW tank there should be a rocker switch for 110 also, it has to be switch on...redundant safety so you don't burn out heater element with a empty tank.

As far as lighting, have they ever worked or they just quit? have you check for power at the light sockets?

Old 10-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
I'm thinking the other switch "red one" is for electric hot water tank, pull the outside vent cover off the HW tank there should be a rocker switch for 110 also, it has to be switch on...redundant safety so you don't burn out heater element with a empty tank.

As far as lighting, have they ever worked or they just quit? have you check for power at the light sockets?
There is a separate panel next to this one that has rockers for LP hot water, 110 HW, and 12V water pump.

The lights worked at one point, I'm not sure when they quit. I have tested for power at the sockets and there's nothing.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Test for power on the off side of the rocker switch (power in) if none, will have to look at diagram to trace back to see where power comes in from. they may b pulling from the same supply, also may have a common ground that has been lost.

Does the rocker light up when switch on?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Does your unit have the fresh water tank heating pad? That’s what the extra, unlabeled, switch is for in ours. I think.
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #6

I bought the trailer used and am unsure if it had that option. Is the tank heater the light up red switch or the white switch?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibummin View Post
I bought the trailer used and am unsure if it had that option. Is the tank heater the light up red switch or the white switch?
Not sure. I think ours is the red lit kind but we don't have the 10w solar since we have the solar controller and a 160w panel. I'm not really sure how to verify the pad heater works! Maybe measure the resistance on the circuit: shouldn't be way hight but shouldn't be really near zero either?
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The best way to troubleshoot this is to back track thru the wiring on both sides with a voltmeter. Check voltages on both sides of the 12v fuses.

It will tell the tale.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #9

My 2019 trailer has the fresh water tank heater option, and similarly there's a (single) switch on the cabinet, with a little sticker near it that says something useful like "fresh water tank heater". Maybe ORV took a few years to learn how to use a label maker after your trailer was built? From what I understand, the heater won't draw any current until its thermostat is sufficiently cold (maybe under 40 degrees?). So checking for the presence of this option with a meter in the summer could be a challenge. I would hope that ORV could identify which options your trailer was equipped with based on its VIN.

Regarding the lights up front, it *could* be a fuse issue, but I doubt they would dedicate a fuse to just those few lights. Many on this forum have had issues with loose crimps on electrical terminals, so it's possible that either the +12V or GND wires for these 3 lights share a common loose connection, especially since they're all in close physical proximity. If you're handy with a voltmeter and a screwdriver, you may want to pull the lights and the outdoor light switch off the interior walls of the pass-thru, and check for +12V on the hot wire relative to a good chassis ground, and for continuity from the white wires to a good chassis ground. Absence of either is a smoking gun. Figuring out how to physically trace those wires to locate the suspect connection is where the schematic supplied by ORV should come in handy. The schematic should have a clue buried in it somewhere that indicates whether the circuit supplying those lights emanates from the main DC load center harness, or from the A-frame wiring access panel, what color wires to look for, etc.

Good luck...
oshucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:13 PM   #10

circuit for "utility lighting"

The schematic for my 2019 21RBS shows a 15a circuit for "utility lighting" and includes the pass through lights, the front light by the tongue jack (not the one on the tongue jack) and the light back by the sewer hookup.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #11

I should have updated the post earlier. I got my lighting issues figured out with help from Brad. The crimp on one of the wires at the sewer clean out light was bad and the wire was disconnected.

I think I will get in touch with ORV to figured out what the mystery switch is for.

Tags
light