Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looking at an upgrade for fulltiming

Pretty early in the process and trying to get an idea of which trailer would work best for us. Anyway, I was on the ORV website and they don't have all the new models listed or maybe they are just hard to find. Anyone got a link to the new brochure?

It needs to have a sleeper sofa and recliners as well as a larger TV and good sight lines for when the kids come to watch a movie.

We would also like to replace at least one recliner with a rocker or glider, (wife insists), and it needs to have good viewing angles and a larger TV.

So it looks like the only one that ticks all the boxes is the 280 RKS. Any thoughts? I would be pretty close to overweight if I went with the Glacier Peak and I don't think I want a new truck just yet. How much more storage would one have over the travel trailer? Also, it gets over 100 here for weeks at a time, is one AC going to be enough? If we get 2 is 50 amps an option?

Any input is gladly accepted. We will have a permanent spot for it but will probably haul it south for winters. The last couple winters have been brutal.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Are they made to live in fulltime?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:20 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not sure if they are really meant for full time living - however my idea of full timing in an RV would be moving to a new place every month - maybe more often. Not putting it on some property and staying there half a year.

That said I bought my 25RDS with that in mind - it checked all of my boxes.

I prefer a rear lounge with recliners or the dinette - not the kitchen - love that rear window view.

So the Timber Ridge 24RLS would be on my low end and the Blackstone 260 and 270 RLS on the top - assuming I wanted all three - Dinette, Sofa and recliners.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, moving every couple of months would be great after we retire. Still a few years away from that so a semi permanent spot is going to have to work. And when we do retire and start traveling more we will still have a home base. Plus it frees up a ton of capital since we can sell our house. Thinking lean right now.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
PRT

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Pretty early in the process and trying to get an idea of which trailer would work best for us. Anyway, I was on the ORV website and they don't have all the new models listed or maybe they are just hard to find. Anyone got a link to the new brochure?

It needs to have a sleeper sofa and recliners as well as a larger TV and good sight lines for when the kids come to watch a movie.

We would also like to replace at least one recliner with a rocker or glider, (wife insists), and it needs to have good viewing angles and a larger TV.

So it looks like the only one that ticks all the boxes is the 280 RKS. Any thoughts? I would be pretty close to overweight if I went with the Glacier Peak and I don't think I want a new truck just yet. How much more storage would one have over the travel trailer? Also, it gets over 100 here for weeks at a time, is one AC going to be enough? If we get 2 is 50 amps an option?

Any input is gladly accepted. We will have a permanent spot for it but will probably haul it south for winters. The last couple winters have been brutal.
We don't have that particular model but can give you as much information that I can. We have the model in our signature. We came from travel trailers to a 5th wheel and couldn't be happier. Tows like a dream, towing the TT more than 4 hours was a chore even with the Propride hitch(wasn't a ORV product).This last trip we did a few 9 and 10 hour days, not by choice and found wasn't all that fatigued. We just came back from a 2 month trip and we were quite comfortable spending that many nights in the GP. Outside storage is way better than any TT we have owned(read can carry much more stuff). There is even room for a Champion 3400 duel fuel geny. As far as weight goes you will probably be over your GVW and possibly axle weights. When we had our 2011 Ram we were over by about 600 lbs over and probably close to if not over on the axle. Our GP is 2600lb or more on the pin and about 11500 lbs when loaded for a long trip, that is full of fresh water. The 280 RKS is heavier and longer and is a nice layout. We might consider that layout when it is time to buy again, but we love our big back window though. I believe all GP's are 50 amp now. We only have 30 amp and wish we had 50.
PRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, was looking at the TT version of the 280 RKS. The Glacier Peak version would put me overweight by enough to make me not go that route. No problem with the Travel trailer version. I have to get some time to go down to Thompson and look at actual units and compare.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We also have 30 amp service and would very much like to have 50 amps for a 2nd A/C. It gets hot and stays uncomfortable most of the day with just one A/C unit and it struggles to keep the coach bearable on those hot muggy days when one doesn't feel like being outside. A/C runs all day and just can't seem to keep up. We also run 2 small oscillator fans, one in the back and the other in the bedroom, just to get the air flowing better. Our next coach will have that 50 amp service as well as 2 or 3 A/C's. Since we also plan on going FT'ing very soon, just after the house sells, ORV most likely will be out of the question for that upcoming lifestyle. We're going to give it a go, however, it just doesn't seem like our current rig will suit our upcoming needs.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:28 PM   #8

I believe every question you have can be answered by calling ORV. They can put you in touch with Shannon in customer service. I recently went on a tour of the factory and seems to me like you can work with the sales dept to work up an option list.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #9

I think youve got it backwords. Floor plan is paramount, especially if your living in it full time. Regardless of the truck you need to have a floor plan your absolutely in love with. Then decide if you have enough truck of if you need to upgrade. Otherwise you will be shopping for everything different in a year or so.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:54 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I full time (for work) in a 2013 Creekside 26RLS. I’m not sure which new model has a similar floor plan, but my trailer’s floor plan fits your description. 4-seat dinette, sleeper sofa and a rear ‘livingroom’ with two rocker chairs and a big picture window.

Keith
Old 04-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #11

280rks

In reply to 50 amp service. I purchased a used 2015 Timber Ridge 280rks, it came with a second ac and has 50 amp service. We did change to a larger tv which runs on 110, ran the power through the wall to a outlet below in the cabinet.
wheatridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
I think youve got it backwords. Floor plan is paramount, especially if your living in it full time. Regardless of the truck you need to have a floor plan your absolutely in love with. Then decide if you have enough truck of if you need to upgrade. Otherwise you will be shopping for everything different in a year or so.
x2. I'd want nothing less than a full width closet, two main seating areas. a dinette, lots of interior/exterior storage. I wouldn't worry about the tow vehicle yet. Get the unit that you're going to be living in for years, then find a truck to tow it with.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses, great info.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just to mention the sleeper sofa. Originally my wife wanted a bunkhouse model for my son. But I wanted a trailer under 40’ but still have a couch. She was all against a sofa sleeper, until we looked at a ORV 24RKS and tried the sofa out. After one season with my 24 year old son sleeping there it is very except-able. Many evenings the wife sits at the dinette messing with her IPad, me and the kid watching a DVD on the opened sofa.

Can you use a ORV for full-timing? Yes...but some FT in a 13’ eggshell trailer. To each his own. The ORV long will hold up much better than your standard stick and tin $15k Camping World Special.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade