RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Looking at used 2017 20FQ Creekside

Hello,

I'm a newbie here and a newbie to RVing. I'm looking for an RV to snow ski in ski out of in Washington. And other RVing... Anyhow, because of the great product I'm pretty set on an ORV. Made in the Northwest for the NW, thicker insulation, true 4 seasons, better heaters, great windows in the 20FQ, more water storage, etc.

I found a used 2017 20FQ and I'm wondering if much has changed in current models? In looking at the pictures it looks like not much has changed. The RV says 'Creekside' on the side and none of the newer 'Mountain Series' Badging. Anything I would miss greatly on newer models?

Much appreciated and hoping to put this together.

James

Farwellbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2.

One thing about buying used is you'll notice your wallet will remain heavier. As for them being a 'true' four seasons trailer that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe in milder climates. Gotta love the marketing folks.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

As for them being a 'true' four seasons trailer that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe in milder climates
With regards to their four seasons abilities, where do they lack? The water and holding tanks are insulated, thicker walls, more powerful heater, what is missing on ORVs?

thanks
Farwellbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

We like our 2019 20FQ. Does the 2017 have the USB charging ports? They are powered by DC from your battery so if you're without hookups they are handy for charging devices. I think winter camping would be doable in ours but for serious cold weather I'd want to look into a way to enclose the area around the underside of the trailer. It would have to be portable, of course.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwellbooth View Post
With regards to their four seasons abilities, where do they lack? The water and holding tanks are insulated, thicker walls, more powerful heater, what is missing on ORVs?

thanks
Better bottom insulation, which I will soon be improving by using adhesive to stick foam insulation board onto the underbelly. The corrugated plastic that is already there doesn't do much for insulation.

Some models didn't come from the factory with dual pane windows, a big help in cold or hot weather.

My current ORV 19B doesn't have the extra insulation on the bottom (yet) or the double pane windows, and that wouldn't stop me from going camping just about anywhere I'd want to go when I'd want to be there as I know what the limits of my RV are, and how to expand them, and how much I can expand them, but don't let the marketing about "Four Seasons" get you too hyped up.

After all, every RV is a four season RV in South Texas in January.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #6

At what year did they go with 2 1/2" walls?
Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1 Big Mess, I would be very interested in how you add additional insulation to the bottom of your trailer. Please take pictures and post on how this mod goes.
Thanks,
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We had out ORV fifth wheel out camping at 20 degrees. Not cold by northern standards, but cold enough for us.

Trailer does well, gas forced air heater and heated tanks/valves helps a lot. Thicker walls and dual pane windows works good too. The fireplace/heater actually works at this temp to keep the inside at 65-70.

They are mountain tough to a point I think.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:50 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
1 Big Mess, I would be very interested in how you add additional insulation to the bottom of your trailer. Please take pictures and post on how this mod goes.
Thanks,
It's really easy in principle, shouldn't really be too hard in practice.

Buy number of boards the thickness/R value of insulation that will cover the square footage under the trailer.
Clean underside so adhesive sticks well. I'll use whatever construction adhesive is on sale the day I go to get it.
Place boards on adhesive. Some may need to be cut to fit around things that are under the trailer like sewer pipes, suspension parts, etc. I'll use something to push up on the boards slightly if necessary for the adhesive to fix the boards in place.

I don't expect the boards to last forever, but being out of the sun will probably be a good thing, and maybe I can find a way to do something like fix plastic to them that I can replace fairly easily just to protect them while moving? Who knows, we'll see how it goes.

I just saw that it was basically flat under there, and thought the boards idea would work.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and a newbie to RVing. I'm looking for an RV to snow ski in ski out of in Washington...

James
First, welcome to iRV2 and our ORV Owner's Forum! Second, since you are new to RVing, I'll bring up some other considerations. Specifically, driving and or pulling RVs in winter conditions, like when you head up the mountains to the ski slopes. Snowy and icy roads can best be handled by a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle. And along the way, one must be prepared for 1) putting chains on the tow vehicle and the on the trailer (one axle usually), 2) unplanned road closures (makiing U-turns on two lane roads can be iffy), 3) maneuvering and parking space at the destination, 4) dry camping once you arrive (usually), etc.

None of these need to be a "non-starter" but they are worth considering, me thinks.

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you want to, try to contact a person in this forum that lives close by to assist you with information important to RVing in winter, what to look for in a rig and tow vehicle, staying safe in the cold, etc. You wrote that you reside in Washington, lots of ORVers here.
Idaho Bob has a point about driving in the snow. I've done most everything one can do in a motor vehicle, but pulling a travel trailer in the snow would make me wonder if I was in my right mind.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I pulled my trailer in frozen winter road conditions. Snow chains on the rear axle of the four wheel drive truck, and on the trailer. It can be done, and I've got a lot of winter driving conditions experience, but it's not fun.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In 2016/17 ORV started the Back Country, Mountain, and Titanium "series". They still have 5 classes a well - Black Rock, Creekside, Timber Ridge, Blackstone and Glacier Peak (5th wheels). The Black Rock is the only class in the Back Country series and consists mostly of smaller models with and without slides. Designed for off grid camping or entry level camping they have fewer luxury appointments.

The next three classes are larger and come in two "series" Mountain and Titanium. Mountain series have manual stab jacks, black appliances, pleated shades etc. Titanium have a remote control system for the slides, awning, and stab jacks, they also have nicer window appointments and better shower doors (tub showers only). The two series are kind of like the trim levels in our trucks. For 2018 and beyond the made the outside graphics reflect the Series more than the class - perhaps an indication of things to come.

All ORV units have the same sidewall and roof construction. Most all of them have insulated tanks and enclosed valves and the furnace is ducted into the tank bay. There may be an exception to this in the very smallest Black Rock unit.

We looked at a 20FQ and while we liked the rear layout, it was too cramped for our intended use so we went to the Timber Ridge 25RDS.

We have not been out in freezing temps - but under moderate weather it does great.

Check out Alan Sills (think that is right) as he lives in the ski areas of Colorado in the winter in a Glacier Peak. I have also seen photos of people who spent the last winter near Spokane WA. They simply placed hay bales under/near the edge of the trailer. This just creates a dead air space that adds greatly to the insulation. Alan has a custom made vinyl skirt that snaps to the bottom of his GP. A lot depends on both how cold it gets and how long you intend to camp in it.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

thanks
What's lacking is their definition of what "Climate Designed Four Seasons" actually means. The climate in La Grande Oregon or northern California is much different than where I live. The holding tanks might be insulated but how much insulation? How much heat actually goes to the tanks? Are the tanks cold rated for +20F, or 0F, or -20F? To coin a phrase the devil is in the details. The package might be an improvement but pick your camping days wisely as any season has it's extremes.

I should add I'm not knocking the ORV trailers. I really like mine, its well made, and its certainly better insulated than my previous one but take the marketing speak with a grain of salt.