Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We find the furnace extremely quiet in the GP as opposed to the jet engine in our TC.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used both.

The 3000 Olympian was just to small for my 30 Ft Mirada. we find the 3000/9000 btu Mr Buddy is just about perfect. On cold nights we set it on 9k btu and also set our furnace on 60 deg.

We place the Mr Buddy in the middle of the floor, make sure nothing can fall in it, i.e. towels, waste baskets, cloths, blankets, etc.

I added a hose with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve so I can run either the Olympian or the Mr Buddy on house propane.

I modified the Mr Buddy by removing the internal regulator and adding a quick disconnect fitting so I can plug the hose into it.

You do need fresh air,, We leave one of the roof vents open about 1 inch. ALSO if you don't already have one, install a CO detector/alarm. These are fairly inexpensive at the big box stores. Get the kind that has a digital readout so you can see what the ppm is.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
We have 35000BTU heaters in both the ORV and the Cameo. The ORV heater sounds like a tornado. The heater in the Cameo makes less noise than the water pump. As I dig into the Cameo I hope to find out why.
Looking forward to what you find out.

I know some furnace manufacturers claim to have low noise units. Atwood Excalibur for instance. Maybe it's one of those?
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since we have veered toward trailer heaters and noise (!), guess I'll stick my nose in.

Our Jayco heater was barely audible, it was in a box under the jacknife sofa, out of sight, out of mind. Very quiet. Our Timber Ridge is noisy!! I did cut the noise aboot half by installing a "baffle" inside the cabinet between the wood intake grille and the heater case. It allows good airflow around the sides and top, but breaks up or blocks the noise of the heater. Still louder than the old Jayco was, but much better.

Heater is in the wide open area under the refrig, and that probably adds to the noise by being a closed in hard walled box, with the only way for noise to exit is straight out of the inlet grille. ORV could put some more thought on where they put the noisy things!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Since we have veered toward trailer heaters and noise (!), guess I'll stick my nose in.

Our Jayco heater was barely audible, it was in a box under the jacknife sofa, out of sight, out of mind. Very quiet. Our Timber Ridge is noisy!! I did cut the noise aboot half by installing a "baffle" inside the cabinet between the wood intake grille and the heater case. It allows good airflow around the sides and top, but breaks up or blocks the noise of the heater. Still louder than the old Jayco was, but much better.

Heater is in the wide open area under the refrig, and that probably adds to the noise by being a closed in hard walled box, with the only way for noise to exit is straight out of the inlet grille. ORV could put some more thought on where they put the noisy things!!!
Would be interested in more details about your baffle. My furnace is located similarly to yours, prolly the same. The furnace has specs for sq. in. of inflow area. The grill on ours just meets those specs. Not sure how your baffle affects that?

Have also thought of putting some insulation in that box to help with the sound.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's not much, just a piece of luan plywood from some other project. It is set back from the grille about halfway between grille and furnace box. It extends above the top of the grille slightly, and same on sides. Idea was to block the sound not the airflow. The area the furnace is in has mucho air feeding it from around the bottom of the refer, from the undersink area, and the outside shower and plumbing dead space next to it. I'm sure that it does not interfere with flow to the furnace. Haven't noticed any loss of heat or air movement. Just some noise reduction.

On the Jayco, as I said, the furnace (probably a 30K max) was boxed in, air intake under the jackknife sofa, AND pointed toward the opposite end wall or support for the jackknife. My "theory" is that was a great sound reducer, since the noise was not coming directly into the living area, but was diffused under the sofa. The trailer before that, the furnace was under the sink/kitchen cabinets, grille facing the dinette, and was noisier than the Jayco, but not as much as the Timber Ridge.

These ORV units have such solid noise blockage from the outside due to the laminated walls, that anything inside seems much louder!! I can hear the refrig burner ignite and burn, and the furnace burning!! And the wife snoring!!! All very well!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
My $0.02

No issue 12V power or the propane supply freezing

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/docs/p...rnace_1300.pdf
or
https://www.scanmarineusa.com/rv-land/stoveheaters

https://www.scanmarineusa.com/

One may need to move up to the Wallace1800 so a duct can be run into the basement to keep tanks from freezing.
JT, you really know how to spend others money. I am glad I dont live close to you. I would go broke with all your cool ideas.

Those are really nice heaters and would work perfectly. However, those are pricey. I think I am going to give the buddy a try. I may have to do some snooping around the boat yards and see if I can find a used one.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I think I am going to give the buddy a try. I may have to do some snooping around the boat yards and see if I can find a used one.
Will you plumb it in to the trailer's low pressure propane feed?

Guess that requires removing the buddy's own regulator.

Believe the Olympia is designed for a regulated, low pressure feed but quite a bit more expensive.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wish ORV would allow the option of choosing a high quality furnace like the ones that Scan Marine builds. It is frustrating that the components in RV's are always so cheap. The manufacturers only use the components that are commonly available for RV's and coming from the world of sailboats I am constantly amazed at how cheaply RV components are made. My furnace also sounds like an F-16 on full afterburner at takeoff but the airflow is rather pitiful.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #24

I couldn't get my Mr Buddy to light at 6,406' El. Just a heads up. Not sure how high you're camping.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
What I don't get is why not just use the furnace? If worried about usage get an extend a stay and more bottles.
The fan in the furnace uses lots of battery power. On a cold night, it is not uncommon for it to completely run down the battery unless there is more than one battery installed.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was able to cut the line going to the stove and put a T in, then installed a quick connect. The big buddy has a quick connect on one side so that it can be connected to a regulated system. The quick connect on the buddy is after the built in regulator so no need to modify the buddy.

We will be at Loop Loop pass in WA. I believe its around 4000 ft so I think we will be all right. I am keeping my eye open for a Olympian to keep in the trailer. With the heater and the generator running on propane I am taking the two propane bottles off my dads trailer to be on the safe side.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I was able to cut the line going to the stove and put a T in, then installed a quick connect. The big buddy has a quick connect on one side so that it can be connected to a regulated system. The quick connect on the buddy is after the built in regulator so no need to modify the buddy.
This is how mine is setup as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The big buddy has a quick connect on one side so that it can be connected to a regulated system. The quick connect on the buddy is after the built in regulator so no need to modify the buddy.
Good to know. Thanks.

Tags
heat, heater