Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maiden voyage comments and a question about antenna wiring in 25 RDS

Last weekend we had our shakedown trip in our new 25RDS. We had a great time figuring out all the little things about our new trailer. Everything for the most part went well. The temperature the first night dropped into the upper 20’s F and we got to test the cold weather capabilities of the Timber Ridge Mountain Series. Overall it was comfortable in the trailer, but I was surprised at how much condensation we found in the morning. I can understand a little condensation on the thermal pane windows, but what really surprised us was how much was at the head of the bed against the nightstand. The pass through must not be insulated very well or at all. The next night it got down to about 40F and we didn’t have the condensation problem like we did the first night. We didn’t have water or sewer hookups so we got to test out the large water tank, and the grey and black tanks. It sure is nice to have that capacity. Aside from an awning alignment issue and no radio reception all the other systems worked as expected. Now for my question. Does anyone have input on the flying saucer antenna and where all the connections are accessed ? I have checked the back of the radio head unit itself and the coax cable is connected there, but I’m not sure how it routes to the ufo on the roof. I called the factory and left a message but never heard back from them. I have an appointment to have the minor issues looked at in a week or so, but I would like to check the coax connections myself if I can find them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can't help with the coax but the condensation can be helped by keeping the roof vents open an inch or so to let some of your breath out. And showering or boiling water will add LOTS of water vapor too.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #3
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTricky View Post
Last weekend we had our shakedown trip in our new 25RDS. We had a great time figuring out all the little things about our new trailer. Everything for the most part went well. The temperature the first night dropped into the upper 20’s F and we got to test the cold weather capabilities of the Timber Ridge Mountain Series. Overall it was comfortable in the trailer, but I was surprised at how much condensation we found in the morning. I can understand a little condensation on the thermal pane windows, but what really surprised us was how much was at the head of the bed against the nightstand. The pass through must not be insulated very well or at all. The next night it got down to about 40F and we didn’t have the condensation problem like we did the first night.
We had a lot of condensation problems at first in the below freezing temperatures. I'm reasonably confident that we've solved it as best as possible now, though. Here's what I've done:
  • Caulked the gap where the bed base meets the front wall. This was previously letting in a noticeable draft.
  • Added foam insulation and reflectix below the mattress.
  • Added foam insulation and reflectix in the passthrough.
  • Replaced the vent by the fridge with one that has a damper so more hot air goes to the ends.
  • Added a layer of Enkadrain beneath the mattress and between the mattress/headwall. This solved condensation forming on the front wall where the mattress touched.
  • Added a layer of Enkadrain behind the dinette cushions. This solved an issue where condensation was forming on the back wall and then freezing to the wall.
  • Added a dehumidifier (started with a small one, upgraded to a larger one).

Some photos: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/lets...ml#post3933890

Quote:
We didn’t have water or sewer hookups so we got to test out the large water tank, and the grey and black tanks. It sure is nice to have that capacity. Aside from an awning alignment issue and no radio reception all the other systems worked as expected. Now for my question. Does anyone have input on the flying saucer antenna and where all the connections are accessed ? I have checked the back of the radio head unit itself and the coax cable is connected there, but I’m not sure how it routes to the ufo on the roof. I called the factory and left a message but never heard back from them. I have an appointment to have the minor issues looked at in a week or so, but I would like to check the coax connections myself if I can find them.
The coax for the antenna on our model terminates at a faceplate behind the TV. This faceplate also provides the power to it. On ours it was an absolute mess when I took it off, and there was a loose coax in the wall (not the antenna, possibly satellite).

Also, I did not like the factory stereo in the 2017 model at all. I replaced it with this: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/lets...ml#post3886630
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ORV installs their coax plates behind the televisions as noted earlier. Be sure to turn on the booster when using the rooftop antenna.
I too had to rewire the mess they installed back there when I was installing the satellite system. It was so bad that the cable pulled out the television jack on the back of the set when we first used it. ORV sent us another tv.

Have fun!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. Keymastr - I will be popping the vents a bit more when camping in freezing weather.

R.B. it looks like you went to the extreme to combate the condensation during cold weather, Im impressed.

egwilly-
I took a look behind the amplifier power supply plate, the connections are ugly but don't show any shorts. The connections I'm looking for are the ones at the antenna end. I don't see any service access panels near the kitchen sink. But I will keep looking.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We open the roof vents and windows a crack and at times turn the roof fan on low.
Insulated and paneled front bin..that help immensely.
See photo

Hope this helps.

Coops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E42A8F20-D09C-4257-8DC4-B5AA772956FB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	196419  
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
We open the roof vents and windows a crack and at times turn the roof fan on low.

Insulated and paneled front bin..that help immensely.

See photo

Hope this helps.

Coops

Another great looking insulation job. If we continue to camp in sub freezing weather, this will be on my list. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The roof antenna comes into the black plastic plate with the push button and light - this turns on the amplifier in the antenna. There is also a splitter to send the signal back to the bedroom outlet. The Cable TV input also come out of these ports - the other TV ports are for the satellite in and bedroom jumper. The cables that run between the radio and TV are for watching DVDs and sending the TV audio to the stereo. So to use the antenna you use the TV jack (F connector) on the plate with the amplifier. The same jack carries the input from the cable port (turn the amp off when using cable) For satellite you use the outside connector marked for it and the other port on the wall. I have found that even in town the antenna amplifier needs to be on in order to get reception - it is imperative at a distance. Also digital signals are much fussier than the old analog systems and are either there or not there with little in-between.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTricky View Post
Thanks for the replies. Keymastr - I will be popping the vents a bit more when camping in freezing weather.

R.B. it looks like you went to the extreme to combate the condensation during cold weather, Im impressed.

egwilly-
I took a look behind the amplifier power supply plate, the connections are ugly but don't show any shorts. The connections I'm looking for are the ones at the antenna end. I don't see any service access panels near the kitchen sink. But I will keep looking.
Usually they run up the wall and over to the antenna. Ours has a panel where ORV runs the main harness for most everything. Good luck, since when I removed my fireplace to clean up the install and install a 120 duplex, I found they had not connected the coax tightly to the outside ports causing a bad connection.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Usually they run up the wall and over to the antenna. Ours has a panel where ORV runs the main harness for most everything. Good luck, since when I removed my fireplace to clean up the install and install a 120 duplex, I found they had not connected the coax tightly to the outside ports causing a bad connection.
I will take one last look around, and if I can't find it I will leave it for the RV Tech. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Tags
antenna, voyage, wiring