Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2018, 02:09 PM   #1

Maxxis E or Goodyear Endurance E to replace my 15 inch Goodyear Marthon

What’s the latest thoughts on these two tires. After seeing more recent failures on the GY martins I’ve decided to change out mine before my luck runs out. Got a little over 24000 miles on them.
Cappeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Maxxis has been around a while as the best E tire. That's what I have and I have given them more than one speed run, 70+. Where legal.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I see no need to reward Goodyear for their well documented explosive tires by purchasing their new and improved tires. Maxxis has a very good reputation so I think I will reward a corporate mentality that values that. Of course I am biased since I am repairing my trailer from the damage that a Goodyear tire just did.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

For the same reason as Off Road I too refuse to buy Goodyears. I replaced the OEM Marathons on my trailer this spring, not because they were worn out or had trouble with them but because they were getting old.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

Thanks for input. I gues the endurance tires have not been out long enough to get a good “test”
Cappeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maxxis makes some of the best Off Road tires there is. Used on King of the Hammers.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:49 PM   #7

Both have the same load capacities. However, the GY is speed rated and the Maxxis is not, requiring it to default to 65 MPH.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:22 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another ST-E, higher speed rated tire is Carlisle Radial Trail HD. Mine have been on for a year and a half, ~16K miles and over some very rough roads in the Yukon with no issues. And they seem to be wearing well.

Personally, I suspect any of these newer ST-Es, Maxxis, Endurance, Carlisle will be fine. But then I never had any trouble with my old Marathons. A TPMS system can provide additional insurance as well.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #9

As fellow forum member and tire engineer Roger Marble points out the various speed rating on ST tires in particular seems to be more marketing than engineering. The whole article and others related to speed ratings can be found in his RV Tire Safety blog here.

Here's a snippet from his June 1, 2018 posting:

"The problem is that Speed Symbol does not have any standard DOT test or requirements as in the US Speed Rating is really a marketing tool and not a strict performance requirement. A review of various ST tires shows a range of speed symbols from L (75 mph) to R (106 mph) and possibly higher.
Further compounding the confusion is that the speed symbols are from the SAE - Society of Automotive Engineers and according to SAE their test criteria J1561 apply to ""standard load," "extra load," and "T-type high-pressure temporary-use spare" passenger tires." This raises the obvious question of what test procedure, if any, are various tire companies following when they assign the Speed Symbol? While we are talking about SAE symbols we need to remember that DT does not recognise or test for these ratings."
Old 08-31-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

My replacement tires were the Carlisle Radial HD also. Maxxis were not available locally. I never went up in load range as I travel light and nowhere near load limits. They trail well so no issues there. Time will tell how well they wear but I suspect they'll likely age out before they wear out.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
I see no need to reward Goodyear for their well documented explosive tires by purchasing their new and improved tires. Maxxis has a very good reputation so I think I will reward a corporate mentality that values that. Of course I am biased since I am repairing my trailer from the damage that a Goodyear tire just did.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappeter View Post
What’s the latest thoughts on these two tires. After seeing more recent failures on the GY martins I’ve decided to change out mine before my luck runs out. Got a little over 24000 miles on them.
I've posted this link before but in case you are not aware of Goodyear's ongoing legal wrangling you can read about it here.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I suspect tire failures have more to do with environmental issues rather than an inherent poor design or workmanship issue. Turning too sharply so the tires drag sideways or hitting a curb compressing the tire to the rim, road debris or sharp rocks on gravel roads are all things that can pop belts or separate plys. Trailer tires take more abuse than other vehicle tires. I regularly see folks turn the trailer so sharply that one tire is scrubbed so hard the bottom of the tire is sticking out the side and the rim is resting on the sidewall. Amazing that the bead does not pop off and yet that person will complain when his belts separate and the tire blows out proclaiming that the pressures were always perfect and the tire had not been abused.

Not sure how this Jalopnik article about motorhome tires that have not been on the market for 20 years is relevant. If you are implying that they have a corporate culture of denying fault, what corporation doesn't? Once the legal department is involved they all fight hard to limit losses.

All manufacturers have blowouts. Previous to the Carlisle trail HD being introduced the Carlisle tires were among the worst tires on the market. Scores of boating and RV forums had many articles about them. Because of those articles I was very skeptical of the new HDs when they came out but time has proven them to be a good tire. I had a set of Maxxis tires on a boat trailer for years and they were also good. Many folks also have 6 or 7 years and many thousands of miles on Marathons including 60sumptin in this thread. Did he just get a "golden" set or has he just not hit that piece of road debris yet?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #14

Yes all manufacturers have their issues but when they hide evidence from the courts that doesn't sit well with me. People have died. Whether your a corporation or a private individual, if you've made a mistake man up to it and accept the consequences. You can choose to do business with them if you want, I for one won't.

Tags
ace, replace