Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

Moving In - Black Rock 23BKS

Hi ORVers,

I've been listening into your threads for the past year, this is my first time calling in. I picked up my 2018 Black Rock 23BKS from Rangitsch Brothers in Missoula MT today and I'm thrilled. They were great to work with and I'd highly recommend them. I'm from outside Denver, so it was a bit of a trek up to trade in my 1st trailer, a Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 19' bunkhouse. I put about 10k miles on the GS in the first 2 years I owned it ranging from the CO, UT and AZ mountains to PA to visit my family, through Nashville to see the Opre with my girls finally up to Glacier at the end of this summer. It served me well, but could only serve me for 3 seasons of the year, and I wanted more time.

While going through the move in process, I hope to post enough first hand experience to help others make their decisions. I had questions about what my Tundra would haul, how it would be with a trailer 2x the weight. Does the extra insulation and build quality of the ORVs really matter. I'll try to answer these and other questions I had as I get acquainted with the unit.

As to my Tundra pulling this unit, I'm happy so far. I ended up getting an equalizer hitch, and I'm happy I did. I'm moving from a single axle trailer to a dual, 7' longer and 2x the weight. I averaged 8 - 9 MPG today from Missoula to Billings, MT traveling most of the time between 60 and 75 MPH. There were several times slower and in 4wd as I'm dealing with some weather, but my average held. This is 1-3 MPG less than pulling my GS trailer, so I'm happy at this point. Toward the end of my drive I crossed a bridge on a curve in the highway and got a little crooked. Actually I got quite crooked and feared for a second that my lapse in concentration was going to cause some expensive damage as I swung back and forth down the highway getting control. Luckily I was only going about 50 and there was no one else around me. I emerged unscathed and I think if I would have had my old rig without the equalizer hitch a trailer that hauls better, it would have come around further on me and caused problems. Counting my blessings and doing a small sacrifice to the road gods tonight.

My GS had a hard time maintaining 50F inside the last few nights when the outside temp dropped into the 20's. Tonight we're in the 20's outside and the trailer will stay at whatever temp I set the thermostat at. So far, insulation is good and I am comfy.

I'm heading out on a trip day after Xmas with my girls, more to come. Thanks all for your posts, you really helped me move through my purchasing decision. We'll see if the ORV will end up costing me $53k...

Best,

Greg "RV Tooth"
RVTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 05:20 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the ORV family. Glad you were able to get your trailer and truck to straighten out and stay on the road. Keep us updated on how your new trailer does in cold temperatures. Mine has been good down to about 15, then I had some issues with my water in the tank freezing. I didn’t have much water in the tank at the time and that might have been part of the problem. Hope you have lots of great times in the new rig.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'll be watching your posts closely as I'm just a month away from picking up my Black Rock 23BKS (thought I was the only one crazy enough to do this in the winter ).

Have you been woken up by cold drafts coming from the pass-through storage? I've seen more than a few who have had to add insulation in the pass-through.

If your unit came with the Zamp 160W panel and controller, I'd also be interested to hear how efficiently it is charging your batteries.

Congradulations and continued success keeping her between the lines! Better to have a close call early on before over-confidence sets in. I look forward to sharing experiences and maintenance/mod/upgrade ideas in the coming months.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

Old Curmudgeon here to admonish you to sloww downn! 75 is way to fast to be towing a trailer, the trailer tires aren't rated to tow faster than 65! Even that's too fast for me. Don't tell me you had your kids with you while you were hurtling down the hiway at breakneck speed. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Now that that's off my chest, congrats on the new trailer I hope it serves you well.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Old Curmudgeon here to admonish you to sloww downn! 75 is way to fast to be towing a trailer, the trailer tires aren't rated to tow faster than 65! Even that's too fast for me. Don't tell me you had your kids with you while you were hurtling down the hiway at breakneck speed. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Now that that's off my chest, congrats on the new trailer I hope it serves you well.
The new Goodyear Enurance trailer tires are N speed rated = 87MPH max speed. Always drive to the conditions, with a well setup trailer you can forget it's back there.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Time to get with the times Old Curmudgeon. ORV puts GY Endurance tires on their TT's They're rated for 87 mph. The OP was fine towing at 75 mph tire wise.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Old Curmudgeon here, speed kills........
Old 12-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats on the new trailer purchase, we bought ours in September and spent 8 nights in it prior to hibernation. We have the above mentioned draft at the head of the bed when an exhaust fan is turned on in the trailer and will be addressing that first mod in the spring. Even after 30+ years of towing
trailers, due to very good manners this trailer is very easy to forget that it is on the hook and I've traveled faster than I typically would with previous TT and cargo trailers.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:

I'd have to agree with you. Thats way too fast while pulling a trailer. No matter what the tires are rated at its still a big tall box not designed for speed. What's really scary is drivers saying they forgot it was behind them. No wonder drivers lose control. Pay attention people. You are not the only ones on the road.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:43 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I'd have to agree with you. Thats way too fast while pulling a trailer. No matter what the tires are rated at its still a big tall box not designed for speed. What's really scary is drivers saying they forgot it was behind them. No wonder drivers lose control. Pay attention people. You are not the only ones on the road.
Who said anything about not paying attention. I have towed many different types of trailers, I like to tow at 62MPH. All I was pointing out is trailer tires have progressed significantly in the last couple of years, and a well designed trailer is easier to pull and reduces the white knuckle factor.

Driving is a serious business and should never be taken lightly, whether you are driving to the corner store or driving up the Coquihalla!
Old 12-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #11

Rickeoni, Just where do you find a 'well designed' trailer?? The best designed trailer I know of is an Oscar. The rest (ex. airstream) are all identical design-wise. Correct me if I'm wrong......

Trailer 'design', most importantly suspension design is the same as that used on conestoga wagons in the 1840's; Yes, we now use steel springs instead of leather springs, but otherwise, same stuff. Archaic.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Rickeoni, Just where do you find a 'well designed' trailer?? The best designed trailer I know of is an Oscar. The rest (ex. airstream) are all identical design-wise. Correct me if I'm wrong......

Trailer 'design', most importantly suspension design is the same as that used on conestoga wagons in the 1840's; Yes, we now use steel springs instead of leather springs, but otherwise, same stuff. Archaic.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Greg! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The new 2018 have insulation in the pass through, look at the new 2018 videos on you tube, happy camping.