Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
As I said before, the real damages to the trailer is the extra weight but we do not yet know what that increase was.
Real damage is unknown. My $.02 is misalignment of the the alum fame caused the spider cracking.

I would take the same stance as the owner did if the manufacture covered (this was not a repair) the damage up, did not disclose it and refused to stand behind the work by not extending the warranty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 12:35 PM   #114

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This was an industry accepted repair done at the factory with the same adhesive used in original construction. The weights were done after the repair and the walls had the same warranty as new. If a auto mfg makes a repair to a new car on the line, the warranty is the same no matter how it was done.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #115

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
The RV world is littereed with defunct companies that built quality units. Unfortunately the vast majority of shoppers base their purchases on price and bling. Go to a RV show and listen to the shoppers, what you hear will be....." Did you see the size of the TV in that one",,, ”the sofa is comfy",,," look at the price compared to that other one". What you won't typically hear is..."there is no OSB in that one",,,”wow proper truss roof construction",,,"they make their own frames". While I am upset that ORV has succumbed to lowering their standards to meet the competition, it probably is a sound business decision in the long run. Just ask Citation, Comfort Coach....

I for one would not hesitate to buy another ORV in the future, probably won't as we will be looking for something more designed towards longer term travel when retirement comes.
X2 for me.
I can't wait to retire also. However, I may end up working forever. My DW is leaning towards Marriott Glamping.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #116

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
This was an industry accepted repair done at the factory with the same adhesive used in original construction. The weights were done after the repair and the walls had the same warranty as new. If a auto mfg makes a repair to a new car on the line, the warranty is the same no matter how it was done.
Is gluing a new wall over the damage acceptable? I am in the midst of restoring an Buick Grand National GNX that a previous owner had butchered I a sunroof. It needs a new floor and floor. We cut out the roof and are installing a new on, not gluing the good roof over the bad one.

The facts are the trailer had major surgery and was not what the OP had contracted for. Management made a poor decision and they now own that. I for one do not dispute that ORV has a superior product in many ways, but, you are only as good as your last performance!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #117

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
While you may be partially correct, the original composite wall was not done this way. I doubt that ORV has a pinch roller machine and vacuum system to bond the panels correctly. I believe that they buy the stuff from another source, and cut the shapes needed.

The interior wall panel, wood or aluminum framing, polystyrene insulation and exterior wall material (which can be Filon, a plastic-and-fiberglass-combined sheeting) will all be affixed with a strong industrial adhesive and fed through a pinch roller machine at a set PSI pressure. There is an additional process used by some manufacturers that uses a vacuum to remove moisture and air out of the laminated material.

If the trailer was done with care by good techs, then it will last a long time. If not, then de-lamination will be the result if water finds its way inside if any air pockets/voids are present.

"if it's worth doing, do it right the first time."
Old 09-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
While you may be partially correct, the original composite wall was not done this way. I doubt that ORV has a pinch roller machine and vacuum system to bond the panels correctly. I believe that they buy the stuff from another source, and cut the shapes needed.

The interior wall panel, wood or aluminum framing, polystyrene insulation and exterior wall material (which can be Filon, a plastic-and-fiberglass-combined sheeting) will all be affixed with a strong industrial adhesive and fed through a pinch roller machine at a set PSI pressure. There is an additional process used by some manufacturers that uses a vacuum to remove moisture and air out of the laminated material.

If the trailer was done with care by good techs, then it will last a long time. If not, then de-lamination will be the result if water finds its way inside if any air pockets/voids are present.

"if it's worth doing, do it right the first time."
Correct. Also, if the repair was even close to "as new", the Manufacturer should not have had any problem giving an extended warranty, that would not have cost the manufacturer anything, if the repair was as they claim.

Moisture intrusion, delamination, and mold will be an issue with that camper.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #119

Quote:
Can you get in writing that this is an industry standard? I had a bumper pull, that got backed into, just enough to crack the side wall. The dealer insisted the only repair was to remove the whole wall, and replace with another. If You are right, I got screwed by the dealer.

The manufacturer of the products used, would not even commit to the OP, that it was a proper repair, and the way their products were designed to be used.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #120

Highway 4x4 - that is not industry accepted repair-that is odrv accepted repair- and it is a disgrace IMHO!! You do realize the outer layer of the 2nd wall is not tucked under the rubber roof with the only protection from water intrusion being l layer of Dicor sealant. That unit could very well have significant water intrusion problems sooner than later. As to this thread odrv deserves the bad press and l for one hope they learn from it and not do this to anymore customers. If this had happened to you I do not think you would be defending them. As far as my 2016 22RB Creekside - it is a great trailer with very few problems- the particular people involved in making that decision should be reprimanded and “called out” Hence this thread- not the whole company!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #121

Also Highway 4x4 - do you have inside info?- what makes you think the trailer was weighed after the repair? Remember odrv did not disclose the repair and my bet is they did not weigh it after the repair. The trailer was presented to the dealer/customer as oem - which it clearly was not!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

THEAD CLOSED

This thread has been closed for repeated Community Rules violations from baiting to personal attacks. These posts have been removed.

Thanks to all who posted within the CR's
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Closed Thread