Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Regardless of what generator you purchase, I strongly encourage you to use only non-ethanol fuel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
Regardless of what generator you purchase, I strongly encourage you to use only non-ethanol fuel.
Excellent advice!
You can find pure, non-ethanol gas using this handy web site ....
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp
Old 10-05-2019, 06:18 AM   #17

You will read alot of happy campers with the Honda Generators andd I agree they seems great... but I did quite a bit of research and bought the Champion 2000 watt.. .matter of fact, I bought 2 for the price of 1 honda.. I can tie the 2 together and get enough power to run my 15000 btu AC! One thing I didn't want is a Generator that weighed 100 lbs.... the smaller 2000wt gens weigh in at less than 50 lbs and that makes a difference when loading in the back of the Pick up truck! I was amazed at how quite they run, even with 2 of them tied together! One thing to look at is who services them Honda and Champion are pretty easy to get service.. . Here is what I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #18

When I bought my Class C in 2013 I started looking for a generator. Even though I had two 5500 watt generators for my house I needed a generator which would fit into the storage compartments in the C. I found the best solution was to buy two Honda 2000 W. generators with the piggy back cable so I had enough power to run the roof top AC.
I have never regretted this decision. The only service these generators have needed has been I had to take them back to the dealer shortly after I bought them for a fuel line recall, oil changes yearly and this spring I treated both generators to new spark plugs.
I have never used them on my Class A since I bought it to run the AC as I have an Onboard 5500 W. generator on the A. I do use them (usually only one at a time) to keep my batteries charged when I'm not plugged into a full hook up.
Each year we go to a NASCAR race which my son takes a tow behind with him with no generator. We park side by side so I can plug both my MH and his RV into one of the Hondas and keep all the batteries charged. I can place and aim the exhaust from the generator so it doesn't bother other campers next to us.
The Hondas are quieter than my onboard even with the Gen-Turi installed so we run one Honda all night so the friend who goes with us and sleeps in my son's camper can use his C-Pap machine. We get a permit from the track to do this as they have a quiet time rule which requires generators have to be shut down at 11:00 PM unless you have a medical reason and permit to run a generator after hours.
I use a Honda often maintaining my property. Cutting trails using a 110 V. limb trimming saw and saws and drills building and maintaining deer stands. I put a Honda on the rear rack of my ATV and take it where it's needed.
I also take a Honda along with us when we take my enclosed snowmobile trailer to sled races in the wintertime so we have good lighting in the trailer and can run electric impact wrenches to change clutches or work on suspensions.
I have heard a lot of comments about the Harbor Freight generators being as quiet as the Honda generators. I will admit the Predator generators are quite quiet I have run mine next to one and I have to say even though the Predator would be acceptable the Honda is quieter. I don't know how well the two would compare trouble wise but the Predator would have a high standard to beat IMO. Price wise the Predator would be a good buy for someone who would only run a generator occasionally. For more use I believe the Honda is worth the extra money.
Like I often say, "Buy cheap and you'll buy twice".
Lynn
Old 10-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #19

Lynn, Honda sued the makers of Predator 2000 when they first came out, claiming that they were almost a direct copy of the Honda. Not sure how of if the suit was settled. Honda came out with the 2200 so it would compete better with the Predator 2000, also can run small AC units in RV's better than the Predator (not sure if that was their goal, as I'm not sure how much of their market is RV's in the first place). Predator 2000 is half the price of the Honda, but the real savings is if you need a larger generator. The Predator 3500 is a STEAL at $800.00! The only downfall of the Predator 3500 is the crummy hard plastic wheels according to Consumer Reports.

This coming from a guy that owns two (2) Honda EU2000's left over from his travel trailer days. The only thing I would recommend for any of the generators is the addition of an inexpensive inductive hour meter to better keep up on maintenance.

Actually, there is one other feature I would recommend, no matter which generator you purchase, and that is an extended run fuel system of some type. We purchased the "Berg" system, and plumbed it to provide fuel to both of our Honda's which were mounted in a custom built box on the rear of our pull behind camper. Enjoy!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #20

I would get a Honda, Yamaha or Kipor, they are quiet and will handle anything depending on the size. EVERY Champion generator I've seen and HEARD are very loud. You get what you pay for......
If you just want to maintain your battery get a roof mounted solar system installed. Even as little 160 watts will do the job.
IMHO
Old 10-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I purchased 2 Honda EU2000i generators because they are lightweight and do everything I need them to do. I haven’t run them at night for my wife’s cpap because the parks here have quiet time and they don’t have provisions for medical requirements. I use a battery for it. I use the generators to recharge the battery the next day during the day.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #22

We have the Honda eu3000i which works good but is heavy to move around. I would prefer the eu2000i. I also had it converted to propane which is very convenient. There is no messing with gas and propane is always available when ever we need it by using the spare LP bottle on the RV.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Lynn, Honda sued the makers of Predator 2000 when they first came out, claiming that they were almost a direct copy of the Honda. Not sure how of if the suit was settled. Honda came out with the 2200 so it would compete better with the Predator 2000, also can run small AC units in RV's better than the Predator (not sure if that was their goal, as I'm not sure how much of their market is RV's in the first place). Predator 2000 is half the price of the Honda, but the real savings is if you need a larger generator. The Predator 3500 is a STEAL at $800.00! The only downfall of the Predator 3500 is the crummy hard plastic wheels according to Consumer Reports.

This coming from a guy that owns two (2) Honda EU2000's left over from his travel trailer days. The only thing I would recommend for any of the generators is the addition of an inexpensive inductive hour meter to better keep up on maintenance.

Actually, there is one other feature I would recommend, no matter which generator you purchase, and that is an extended run fuel system of some type. We purchased the "Berg" system, and plumbed it to provide fuel to both of our Honda's which were mounted in a custom built box on the rear of our pull behind camper. Enjoy!
I have to agree with you on the Predator 3500. A friend of mine bought a new 5th. wheel camper last year and shortly afterward bought a Predator 3500 to keep in the bed of his truck.
The first time I saw his new rig we were at a race and I parked about 100' away from my friend. I recognized his truck and wandered over to chat with him. He told me he had just bought a new Predator 3500 generator and was very happy with it. I asked him about how quiet it was and he laughed and said to come over and see for myself. At that time we were about 50' from his truck. We took a few steps and that's when I realized the generator was running in the bed of his truck. I was really impressed. It is quiet for a 3500 W. unit. I asked him this summer how the generator was working for him and he told me the only thing he'd done to it was change the oil. My friend is a contractor and uses the generator often to power tools, lights etc.
For him the Predator is a great buy. He bought the generator on sale for $695 and bought an extended warranty along with it.
The 3500 wouldn't work for me as I don't have room the store it in my MH. It's also heavy enough I don't want to carry it around either. Besides I do have my on board 5500W. Onan if I need more power.
Lynn
Old 10-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am bucking the trend but I keep my 2 6volt batteries charged with a 1000 watt inverter generator I got for $200 on Amazon during Cyber Monday a couple years ago. It runs the onboard charger just fine, will run the coffee maker but will not run the microwave or AC.

It weighs just 18 pounds, runs 5 hours on a pint of gas and is the size of a bowling ball bag. I keep it in the pass through and it is much smaller than the Weber smokey Joe it sits next to. Where I camp AC is not needed so why buy a generator that puts out triple the power I need?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I am bucking the trend but I keep my 2 6volt batteries charged with a 1000 watt inverter generator I got for $200 on Amazon during Cyber Monday a couple years ago. It runs the onboard charger just fine, will run the coffee maker but will not run the microwave or AC.

It weighs just 18 pounds, runs 5 hours on a pint of gas and is the size of a bowling ball bag. I keep it in the pass through and it is much smaller than the Weber smokey Joe it sits next to. Where I camp AC is not needed so why buy a generator that puts out triple the power I need?
If it works for you that's fine. Anything larger would be a waste of money and a waste of energy moving it around.
I don't really need 2 Honda 2000's now because if I run my AC I can use the 5500W. onboard I have now but didn't have when I bought the two Honda 2000's for my previous MH.
I'm not sure how quiet a $200 1000W. generator would be but I can safely say I'd bet it is noisier than either of my 2000's.
Last weekend I was at a snowmobile race and the fellow next to me had a 6000W. Coleman 11 HP contractor generator which ran all day and night. That was more annoying than a dog barking 24/7. Then another rig pulled in and the fellow pulled his generator out. I believe this unit was built back in the 50's. It looked to be about 5 HP and the muffler was half missing. This thing was so loud it drowned out the other generator next to me and was more annoying than a dog on steroids barking.
My little Honda just purred along while my wife and I watched TV. We could only barely hear the TV but we survived.
At these venues you have to expect this sort of things. Good people having a good time. At a campground it might be a whole lot different.
Lynn
Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMore View Post
We have a Honda 2000i generator. It is quiet and reliable. It is a pain to store for the next use: drain the fuel and drain the carb. I use fuel stabilizer, but still use my generator so infrequently, that draining and running dry is the best way to be sure the carb doesn't gum up.
Not an issue with the newer Honda 2200. It has a fuel cutoff so you can easily let the carb run dry.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used a Champion 3100 for 6 trips, then it caught on fire! I think it was a fluke, I like it prior, and it was well recommended. However, it is HEAVY! 100 pds. So, my 2nd try was 2 Honda 2200s. 47 pds each. I only take one with me most of the time, it will actually run the 13K AC since I have an Easy Start kit installed on it (this is my old trailer, not my new ORV that I will pick up in Nov that is 50amp which is why I got 2 2200s). Honda does cost more, but all the research I read said they are worth it in the LONG run! I went the cheaper route the first time. Decided to go tried/trusted Honda this time.
wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Yamaha 2400, hardly use it, unless winter camping when lack of suns, short days and long furnace runs dictate. Quiet, sips fuel, 2 pulls after sitting for months she fires right up, it is about 75 lbs though, it will not run the 15k ac, maybe looking at soft start to cure that, but up in the PNW doesn't really get that hot to warrant...at this point.

Father in-law has Yamaha 2200, nice little unit, he runs to charge batteries after 4 days boondocking. Light weight, sips fuel.

Tags
generator, need help