Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #1

Need Tires?

Greetings one and all,

Today I started Prepping the Creekside for the up coming season.

The trailer has Goodyear Marathon tires..I checked the Goodyear site for any recalls on my tires and none were included. I think the tires are around 6-7 years old by the serial #'s,still good tread and no checking or cracking.

Are we pushing are luck with these tires? At what age should one replace trailer tires?

Thanks

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Greetings one and all,

The trailer has Goodyear Marathon tires..I checked the Goodyear site for any recalls on my tires and none were included. I think the tires are around 6-7 years old by the serial #'s,still good tread and no checking or cracking.

Are we pushing are luck with these tires? At what age should one replace trailer tires?

Thanks

WWR
In my opinion, at 6-7 years you are definitely pushing your luck. I lost 3 Goodyear Marathons on a 4,000 mile trip last year and 2 of them were only 3 years old. And all looked perfectly good. I replaced with Maxxis and went up one load range and up 2 tread plies so I think I will get better life out of these, but I still plan to replace in no more than 4 years. Of course I may be more paranoid than some. Loosing 3 tires on 1 trip will do that to you...
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

You're taking chances of a tire blowing up and damaging your trailer by running any tire "Made in China". Most all ST tires come from China and they have a poor reputation. Maxxis is the exception coming from Thailand.

The two 5th wheels I've owned, I removed the Chinese tires immediatly upon purchase and installed Michelin LT truck tires. Never have had a tire issue. Use Chinese made tires if you want but I don't trust them.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Greetings one and all,

Thanks

WWR
WWR,

If your tires are really that old, I'd be looking for new ones. But rather than depending on serial numbers, the manufacture date code should be stamped on the sidewalls. LT tires might be the best option but would require you to have 16" wheels. I'm happy with my Maxxis (on 15" rims), so far.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

were are you all buying the Maxis tires at? Looks like Papa needs new shoes.

WWR
Old 03-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I cant think of anything decent made in china
Old 03-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionfe View Post
I love my "free" Harbor Freight LED flashlights!
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
were are you all buying the Maxis tires at? Looks like Papa needs new shoes.

WWR
Bought mine on Amazon.com. I went up to load range E and 10 ply while I was at it (after checking that my wheels were rated for the higher inflation pressure).
Old 03-14-2017, 02:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orionfe View Post
free speech is respected. ignorance is not.

for the record:
1/ gunpowder was invented in China, and used by the American colonists to wage war to this day.
2/ silks were invented in China, valued at many times the price of gold during the renaissance, and still cannot be duplicated today. wars were raged over silk.
3/ paint brushes were invented in China, and still used today.
4/ metallurgy was perfected in China, and the bronzes of 1000 yrs ago are still in use entirely free of rust.
5/ paper money, and commercial banking was invented in China, and still used by Americans.
- and the Chinese have contributed much more than the above.

True, the tires imported from China are, in general, not of the highest quality. This is the fault of cheapskate manufacturers and dealers, who seek all ways to cut costs. Are better tires available in China? answer: yes.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:06 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
free speech is respected. ignorance is not.

for the record:
1/ gunpowder was invented in China, and used by the American colonists to wage war to this day.
2/ silks were invented in China, valued at many times the price of gold during the renaissance, and still cannot be duplicated today. wars were raged over silk.
3/ paint brushes were invented in China, and still used today.
4/ metallurgy was perfected in China, and the bronzes of 1000 yrs ago are still in use entirely free of rust.
5/ paper money, and commercial banking was invented in China, and still used by Americans.
- and the Chinese have contributed much more than the above.

True, the tires imported from China are, in general, not of the highest quality. This is the fault of cheapskate manufacturers and dealers, who seek all ways to cut costs. Are better tires available in China? answer: yes.
You forgot the most important invention of all, alcohol first originated in China.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are a couple of recent trailer tire threads here that might help.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/revi...hd-294195.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/sale...ls-327685.html
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 AM   #12

[QUOTE=IdahoBob;3499654]WWR,

If your tires are really that old, I'd be looking for new ones. But rather than depending on serial numbers, the manufacture date code should be stamped on the sidewalls. LT tires might be the best option but would require you to have 16" wheels. I'm happy with my Maxxis (on 15" rims), so far.

THOUGHT THIS MIGHT HELP OTHERS
DOT (stands for Department of Transportation) means that the tire complies with all applicable transportation safety standards established in the United States. The DOT or serial number must begin with the letters "DOT" followed by a combination of numbers and letters up to 12 characters. You can find the DOT number on the sidewall of your tires as shown in the example below. Please note, the majority of Goodyear consumer tires, but not all, have the full DOT number on both sides of the tires (including the last 4 numbers of the DOT code which represent the 2-digit week and 2-digit year of manufacture. Example: 0814 would indicate the tire was manufactured during the 8th week of 2014). In those instances where the full DOT number is not on both sides of the tire, you may need to look at the inboard side of the tire to determine the week and year of manufacture. Do not include the letters "DOT" in the search box before your full DOT number, doing so will result in an error message.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tire industry is heading to this.

Tires Expire in Six Years - Tire Safety Group

I try and read the date code on tires we sell, what I have found in the last couple of years is the technology race is alive and well in the automotive side of the tire industry and designs are changing rapidly. It is hard to get tires that were the hot item two to three years ago. Is the same thing starting to happen in the ST side of the industry? Looking at the new Goodyear & Carlisle tires with realistic speed ratings, hopefully.

With new trucks fast approching 500 + HP and 1000 foot pounds of torque, the days of slow RVs are over and tire manufacturers need to keep up.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
You forgot the most important invention of all, alcohol first originated in China.
if you mean distilled booze, then yes China appears to be the first. :-) but "egyptoligists" would argue the Egyptians invented beer, so are first. still others say the Sumerians preceded with their beers. rather interesting.

China contributed much to modern medicine too; China was first to mass produce opiates to kill pain for the wounded; first to have brain surgery to remove tumours 1000 years ago. etc, etc.

Did you know that using only acupuncture, patients had gall bladders removed, with no pain felt during removal, all the while fully awake ? utterly amazing.

fwiw, iPhones are made in China. from what I hear, iPhones are quite popular in the USA.

"the end." :-)
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires