Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

New 24RKS Owner

Hello all, purchased a 2018 24RKS 4x4 pkg Titanium model, in early 2018 from dealer in St. George, left in Vegas till last week, drove to Bozeman and it's parked inside at it's primary residence. After several Airstream's TT over the last 15 years, finally purchased a SOB. Airstream's are nice, but not $100K nice

So far very happy, but do have a couple of questions. Dealer put on a cheap E2 hitch, so looking for something better WDH with better Sway control. Driving up I15 Vegas to Idaho Falls, with about a 15-20 mph wind hitting port side rear corner noticed an undesirable sway/movement when being passed by semi's. Pretty sure hitch is set right, but after several 26-30' Airstream's with Reese Dual Cam, Equalizer, Blue Ox and Reese Straight line, was not happy with the E2, or the ORV tires or ?? Just not sure and need to get everything loaded, readjust hitch and try again. I know I'm pushing a lot more wind than an Airstream. Any comments about ORV and crosswinds and what to expect would be appreciated.

Pulling with F150 Eco, max tow, max payload, but have a F250 on order. F150 had plenty of power and averaged 9.2 mpg at 65-70, no sway issues until crosswind. Not sure if F150 "sway control" was a help or a hindrance, tried with and without and no noticeable difference.

Has anyone installed a propane generator in the pass thru area?
Would never run while sleeping or without both doors open.

Has anyone put 6 Volt AGM's in pass thru?

Any ideas for the spare tire, wife just hates seeing it on back, and I agree?

How much fresh water do you carry, on previous TT, we would keep about 20 gallon, but only had a 40 gallon tank? Thinking about keeping 1/2 full, might help/hurt sway issues?

Has anyone figured out how to get sound from TV to other speakers, works with DVD or headset, but just can't get regular TV to play audio thru overhead or outside speakers? About 95% sure it will not work without some tuner type box, but worth asking?

Thanks Terry
tlcbigsky@gmail.com

Thanks for any and all comments

Tlcbigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats and welcome to the group.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlcbigsky View Post
Not sure if F150 "sway control" was a help or a hindrance, tried with and without and no noticeable difference.
Did you read your owner's manual for your F-150?
If it's like the "sway control" in my Expedition, it's not an anti-sway system or a sway inhibitor, like one would find on a hitch. Instead it's more of an "automatic emergency sway recovery" system. If the vehicle detects a really significant amount of sway it will automatically intervene and perform the recovery measures an experienced driver would perform themselves (apply trailer brakes, accelerate lightly (if necessary) and slow down as soon as it's safe). It's not going to do anything to keep the sway from happening; it's just going to attempt to safely recover before things get really out of hand.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With an F150 you definitely want good sway control. Our 1400# Equal-I-Zer works well. But I also switched to LT-E tires and stiffened the shocks and springs. And agree, the electronic sway control is for emergency situations.

Eventually ended up with a 3/4 ton though. Still using the same hitch, but upgraded to a 2.5" shank.

I've put a 2nd trailer&truck spare in the trailer bed for our trip up to the Yukon this summer. Frequently carry full tank of potable water. The trailer tires were fine but I upgraded to ST-E's when they wore out.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 AM   #5

I am from Las Vegas and have been to the St. George dealer a couple of times looking at the GP as our retirement rig (just a few short years away).
Since this will be our 1st RV I was wondering what your opinion was of the St. George dealer. Would you use them again? Did the get you set up properly? How did your PDI go?
dmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For the least sway, keep all your tires at Max PSI cold. Travel with tanks empty. Travel with heavy items like gen and tools in the truck bed next to the cab.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:15 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
For the least sway, keep all your tires at Max PSI cold. Travel with tanks empty. Travel with heavy items like gen and tools in the truck bed next to the cab.
From my own experience that's good advice Highway. It adds a bit of weight to the steering axle.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On tv issue, I bought a rca audio to earphone jack cable plugged it into the aux on the radio and audio out jacks on the tv. Set the radio on aux. It works but itís another wire showing.
pdxgwj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
X2
I do travel with about 10 gal of water though. Helps with keeping the tongue at about a 15% ratio to trailer weight .
I also went to "E" tires. LT's on the truck and Endurance "E's" on the trailer. I like how it rides now.
The true test will be going up US93 in a couple of weeks to the camp out.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:45 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I travel with my fresh tank full many times and can almost feel it. I would prefer to have it empty but need the water I can trust from home. Tools, camper shell, and a Honda 3kw in the bed. The Cummins is a pulling monster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0061.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	204129  
Attached Images

Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
How much fresh water do you carry, on previous TT, we would keep about 20 gallon, but only had a 40 gallon tank? Thinking about keeping 1/2 full, might help/hurt sway issues?
The water tank on the 24rks is well behind the rear wheels. The 24 rks is fairly heavy in the tongue to start with (840-880 lbs). Then add in the 10 gal. hot water heater on the rear wall. We keep maybe 10 gallons in for emergency, but once we get into some longer trips with Walmart stop-overs, we'll keep a little more.

We also had sway issues in cross wind conditions, but that is expected, as your pushing a big box now. Bring ours back for OR. to OH. last Oct. the wind ranged in WY and NE. from 20's to mid 30's plus. We parked twice in our journey home, especially when we saw three semi's flipped over...

On a resent weekend trip with 8-10 winds there was no effect (no sway). RV haulers, say they park it once the winds top 25mph....I also swapped out my trucks tires to a all-terrain tire (from a highway tire) , and added bags for it's rear suspension.

Besides a few " Why did they do this " issues, I'm pleased with the "robust" build quality.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #12

We were not impressed by the dealership, but price was great. Would not use for service, appeared to us very disorganized and not sure who is making decisions. But very happy with ORV and as a company have their act together. So like the saying goes, price, service and price: Pick any TWO!! If the price wasn't great, we would of purchased in Missoula.
Tlcbigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That is why I choose Thompson's RV in Eastern OR. It was the furthermost drive 2400 (one way) miles. They were the 2nd best price, but others raved about service. And they had the unit in stock we wanted....

The easiest transaction for a major purchase ever...

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote