Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That solar panel is pretty wimpy. And wires to it are prolly too small for any serious solar.

When I put all my solar on the roof, I left that little one in place and added a bunch of new stuff.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing zipp View Post
For certain, change the tires out to Goodyears or Maxxis. Service the running gear, seal the roof, make sure the refer-heater-water pump- water heater all work and head out.
Have fun.
Back on that subject of tires: Don't let the Goodyear name mislead you if they are the Chinese Goodyear Marathons. I'd replace any Chinese tire that is more than 2 years old that you don't have a perfect traceable history on....good tread, bad tread, good sidewalls, bad sidewalls....no matter.

V465
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #17

AC

Not sure what you're wanting to accomplish with the AC but if you're looking to be able to run it with one of the smaller (2000-2200 Watt) generators you might look at the Microair EasyStart.
tpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:26 PM   #18

brulaz - Thanks for response, do you have pictures of your solar mod?

Vintage465 - I upgraded the tires to Goodyear Endurance. I used discount tires alias website dicounttiresdirect and got them to match in store for $96each + they had a 10%off visa card rebate....205/75/15

tpaul - While cleaning and inspecting the AC unit I noticed only 2 capacitors and both were rusted, so I will replace them and looking to add a hard start kit. Was researching and it sounds like SPP6 and Coleman 8333A9021 are the cheaper solutions then easy start, and SPP6E is not rated for 120v units.

Since I am replacing all caps I will just add one of the two after some more research. Sounds like both have similar micofarad ratings but 9333A9021 might have a better PCTR for this unit. I have the EF3000is yamaha generator to hopefully work. I have not tried yet. Let me know any experience here.
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
brulaz - Thanks for response, do you have pictures of your solar mod?
Here's a couple on imgur. I have to right click on the icon to see them for some reason:

First is roof panels and some of the wiring is visible.

Second is 4x6v battery box with heavy cables going to the passthru for the 2000W inverter.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #20
bvz

I also bought a used 22rb a year or so ago. Mine is a 2013 and was in pretty nice condition and had lived inside when not being used. Nevertheless, I have had to replaced tires to new Maxis ones (date code was 2012) and replace the propane pigtales and regulator (leak) as well as routine stuff. Also put in led bulbs in the inside lights.

I also put 200w of solar on roof (Renogy panels) with a Bogart SC2030 charge controller in the drivers side storage area and a Trimetric 2030 battery moniter on the door side of the couch cabinets. I ran the wiring through a roof box I installed and the couch cabinets through the floor by the water pump, along the frame and up into the storage area.

I leaned heavily on vidoes and info from Ray at Love Your Rv,

loveyourrv.com/diy-rv-boondocking-power-system

and Eddie from Mobile Homestead Solar Services

and:

https://rvhappyhour.com/forums/topic...olar-services/

These are pictures of my trailer, the roof panels and the Bogart install (if I can post them). I will also try to take some of the wire run and the Trimetric if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171005_124710811.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	249062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181215_140737648.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	249063  

Name:	IMG_20181215_140945599.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	249064  
bvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #21

bvz: Thanks for the sharing your info, your pixs, links and reference material. I will spend some time researching. Really appreciate your time and effort sharing this information! You have a sweet rv and setup!

I purchased some 3M Marine Restorer & Wax and a 10" polisher from Harbor freight. Wow! What a difference it made. It took me about 4 hours to do the complete RV and transformed my 2011 into a 2019. Attached some pix along the way. The first picture shows the door and back half complete, the front half not done. The second picture you can clearly see the stop/start area. It even brought new life to the pin striping and logos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	249284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	249285  

heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #22
bvz

Heavyd- That is really nice! I can see this project in my near future.

FWIW, as others on this site have suggested at times, I talked to Todd Morton at ORV and he sent me the general wiring diagram for this model which has been really useful for figuring out where wire runs are, wire gauges, and the colors of wires on different circuits. Worth a call.

He also suggested that many people run wires from roof solar thru the fridge vent then to the battery. I considered that but felt it made the wire run too long so opted to go down through the cabinet above the couch to minimize loss. I am posting a picture of that as well as the location of the Trimetric and where I came up with the sensor wires. In addition, at some point this summer I am going to put a port in the side of the camper to connect my 100w portable suitcase panel to the system. Have the parts, just haven't taken the time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solar wire run from roof.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	249473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trmetric.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	249474  

bvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:33 PM   #23
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
Back on that subject of tires: Don't let the Goodyear name mislead you if they are the Chinese Goodyear Marathons. I'd replace any Chinese tire that is more than 2 years old that you don't have a perfect traceable history on....good tread, bad tread, good sidewalls, bad sidewalls....no matter.

V465
V 465
With respect...the country of Manufacturing should have no bearing on the quality of the product. To infer Chinese made tires are inferior is just plane wrong, inaccurate and misleading.

Any travel trailer tire, regardless of country of Manufacturing, needs to be closely inspected.

It’s the quality control of the process that is important.

Boeing makes the 737 max 8 in the USA and how many of those are currently flying after 2 crashes?

People in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

Travel safely.

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum