Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #1

New to Forum and Creekside 22BR Questions

I just picked up a 2011 Outdoors Creekside 22BR so my wife and I can get out since we just sent our youngest away to college. Seems to be the perfect size for the 2 of us.

I just registered and looking forward to hours and hours of reading. I have a few questions on the purchase of this older trailer. It appears it has been outside and not fully covered for this 8 years, so the body looks a bit oxidized. How to attack this to restore to new? I was told by the local RV place you could acid wash, but no idea what they are talking about.

Next would be preventative maintenance steps. Recommendations on where and how to start first? No leaks that we can see and it has been raining. So the roof? What is the best caulk or what to use to reseal all areas of vents and stuff?

Other suggestions for preventative measures to attack first to make sure we are outside protected? Then I can get to the cool stuff and figure out what mods I should attack.

Thanks in advance and look forward to the dialog.....
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #2

A good hand wash and then if you have fiberglass sides a spray wax to shine it up. Use Dicor for the roof vents and other pieces.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First thing I would check with a 2011 would be the running gear: tires, brakes, bearings and spring bushings.

8 yr old tires prolly need to be replaced.
Brakes working ok?
Have bearings been repacked recently?
If the trailer traveled a lot on rough roads the spring bushings are prolly worn.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

Thanks Phoneguy99, what type of Decor? Self leveling or not for roof? Do you use this for side seams as well?

Great Suggestion Brulaz, the owner only had it for 4 years and wasn't sure on tires. They are not cracking and have lots of tread. I believe they are goodyear, so maybe original. Maybe I should take to les shwab and have them inspected?

No idea on brakes, bearings, or bushings. Sounds like I should take the time to pull all four hubs and inspect for future success and safety.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Agreed it is time to examine the running gear. Examine the roof and window seals.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For certain, change the tires out to Goodyears or Maxxis. Service the running gear, seal the roof, make sure the refer-heater-water pump- water heater all work and head out.
Have fun.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
Thanks Phoneguy99, what type of Decor? Self leveling or not for roof? Do you use this for side seams as well?

Great Suggestion Brulaz, the owner only had it for 4 years and wasn't sure on tires. They are not cracking and have lots of tread. I believe they are goodyear, so maybe original. Maybe I should take to les shwab and have them inspected?

No idea on brakes, bearings, or bushings. Sounds like I should take the time to pull all four hubs and inspect for future success and safety.
There are two types of urethane caulk: self-leveling for the roof and stiffer stuff for the sides. Dicor makes both I believe. There are other good brands. Just don't use silicone.

After 8 years, especially outside in the sun, trailer tires usually need to be replaced, for peace of mind if nothing else. Blow outs on the road can be expensive. (There's a code on the tires that tells you the month/year of manufacture)

And yes, pull the hubs, check the brakes and bearings, re-grease the bearings as they've prolly never been done, replace the grease seals. It doesn't sound like the trailer has been on the road a lot, so the spring bushings may be ok.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Use Dicor self leveling for the roof sealant and maybe a butyl type tape for the side seam IF they need doing. Most trailers have an aluminum strip on the corners that would need to come off to apply new butyl.

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-502-LSW...s%2C207&sr=8-5
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-BT-1834...s%2C210&sr=8-3
Old 05-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Dicor offers two versions, lap seal for flat roofs. Because it flows easily. The other version for verticle surfaces.
Wash starting at the roof. No petrolium products on the roof. Bar keepers friend for the fiberglas side walls will do a good job of cleaning oxodation. McGuired RV/Marine products do an excellent job also. It is a three step product. I personally Like Colonite better. They have an excellent cleaner to get rid of the oxodstion. Their fleet wax, designed for aircraft leaves a great long lasting shine.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:18 PM   #10

Concerning how old the tires are.

Molded into the side wall of every tire will be a 4 digit number, most often outlined with a rectangle. Example- 2215 this means that the tire was made the 22nd week of 2015.

Do a search on your tire manufacture as to the life of their tires, some will be as low as 3-4 years most will be 5-6 years.

This is because most RVs will set for months then “the RV is loaded and then driven” then set again for months etc, but still have most of the tread left, this is not a problem with car tires because the car is designed say for 6 passengers however 98% of the time there is only 1-2 people in it, then it is being driven almost daily which flexes the side of the tire keeping it flexible. Then by that time they are worn out
Old 05-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV recommended Geocel Geoflex or Pro Flex for the sides/vertical surfaces. It’s a non-silicone sealant. Trouble with silicone sealants is that nothing sticks to them either so you can’t touch up when it starts to wear or weather. That’s for the sides - the Dicor is right for the roof, self-leveling. Which by the way only self-levels just so much. It’s not going to flow like water and stiffens pretty quickly so get it applied pretty well and it will then help smooth out the coverage a bit.

Roof or sides, as phoneguy99 said, if you have to get into a seam or mount like a window frame use butyl tape in the seam then cover over it with the Geoflex or Dicor (sides or roof respectively) so you have two layers of protection.

Don’t seal the bottom of window frames - leave a stretch for any moisture that does form or collect to weep out.

Good luck and happy trails!
BornToWander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #13

Thanks for all the help! I appreciate this groups time and effort to reply!!!!

New tires- replaced, grease bearings and brakes adjusted - done, new spring bushings - replaced, roof cleaned and spot sealed with dicor as recommended.

Next up, ac unit help with capacitors and solar upgrade question.

The ac only has two capacitors and no hard start cap on this Coleman Airxcel unit. Model is 48203A866 . Recommendations?

Solar is small trickle charge maybe 12x12 panel, can I replace and use same wiring and just add control panel? Or everything need replaced ?
Old 06-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #14

pix

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	248424

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.4 KB