Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
New to me '16 280RKS - A few questions

Hello all-

The day is getting closer for me to pick up my new to me 2016 TR 280RKS. Very excited as are my wife and 13 and 18 yo sons!

Pick up should be this Friday or Mon-Tues next week. Owner is only about 30 min away so not far at all.

When I get her home I have a list of things I want to do her. Below are few items that I would like to know what others do.

Share pics if you would like!

Questions:

1. What type of soap do you use to wash your trailer and its roof? I want to be sure to use products that are safe for finishes, sealants, windows, will not cause damage to roof and sides, etc. In the past I've used regular automotive soap from Costco....a wash/wax type to wash the entire trailer including roof. Are there preferred products?

2. For those that use generators, where do you store it/them when traveling? Ex. 2 Honda 2000s. Do you store in storage compartment (will vary on which ORV model you have), in bed of truck (if here, do you have a camper shell, fiberglass tonneau, or ?)?

3. Do you use TPMS? If so, which make/model?

4. How do you level from side to side.....Anderson levelers, blocks of wood, or ?? If wood, anything special?

5. Any refer mods to aide in cooling? I installed two computer fans and a T-stat on back of my refer (my last RV), as cooling in 100F was a challenge, especially if fridge side was facing sun (even with awning deployed). Fans blew hot air up and out of vent. I also installed a small fan inside of refer to move air around inside refer (manual switch).

6. Where do you store sewer hoses? Last TT and 5er I built a holder from fence posts (as many have) and attached it to rear bumper. Not sure I want to do this on a like new 2016 ORV! Kinda gun shy being it is so new.

7. I plan on installing 3 MaxxAir II vents (black).

8. Do you go on roof for maintenance, inspection, washing, etc? I will need to on roof for MaxxAir II vent install and notice the roof is very curved, unlike all the previous RVs I have owned. I like to use an aluminum ladder from Harbor Freight (similar to Little Giant) as opposed to using built in RV ladder. The HF ladder is very strong. I can lay it on RV ladder or on sides/rear of trailer and go up/down that way. I use carpet wrapped around portions of ladder that rest on RV. I believe this method is safer for me than RV ladder, as I am big guy at 6'-280#

9. Any other items/tips you can share for a soon to be ORV owner?

Thanks!

SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good to hear you have made the purchase, now just have to wait to occupy!!

1. I've used Gel-Gloss for many years. Seems to do the job, no streaks drying, good shine. Occasionally, add some Dawn for any grease cutting!!
2. Champion 2000 (1) carried in back of Excursion. No gas smell, carb empty. Has good sealing cap.
3. No.
4. Andersons normally, bunch of wood blocks if necc. Wood blocks under the stabilizers.
5. No mods to frig. Never had cooling problems even at 103 deg.
6. In rear bumper. Carry 2, both fit. Spray painted inside of bumper to help with any rust.
7. No vent covers. We live in the dry side of WA, and haven't had any rain problems with vents. If raining, not open all the way!!! Plus, I think the covers are real UGLY!!!
8. Only go on roof if forced to!! If so, I don't use the trailer ladder. Too close to edge, and frig vent is right next to it, causing my vertigo to kick in. Go up with side ladder at home. Out in woods, send son up if he's around!!!
9. Check out all my mods I've posted in the first sticky!! Mostly functional, labor saving stuff!!!

Going to the woods in the am for 10 or more days. Rain, wind, cold nights expected for a couple of days. Glad we have an Outdoors unit!!!!

Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks Tuq! Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1. I just use Dawn in a pail of warm water and long handle wash brush. No wax.

2. I store/carry the generator on floor in the back seat of the truck. If I have passengers it goes into the truck bed. It'll fit under the BakFlip tonneau cover and with the locking tailgate fairly secure. Even though it would fit in the trailer's storage compartment I like to keep the tongue weight down.

Right now I only have one generator but will get a second and join them with parallel cables to run the AC. I chose using two EF2000s over one EF3000 because they are much lighter and smaller. A 3000 I wouldn't be able to lift by myself plus it won't fit under the tonneau cover. A 2400 was my first choice but it wouldn't start my AC. Some older AC units apparently take more juice to start than the newer ones.

3. No. No use for them. I carry a tire guage and hammer. Has always worked for me and much more reliable.

4. Right now, if needed, I use a 2x8 to help level initially then fine tune with the stabilizer jacks. The Anderson levers are a good idea but far too expensive for what they are. I'll wait for the knock offs to arrive.

5. I've never needed to do any refer mods.

6. Sewer hoses go in the bumper. A spare rides in the other end if I need to extend it.

7. Regular white generics for me.

8. I go on the roof but use the factory installed ladder. Use what you're comfortable with.

9. Other changes are a power jack, RV wall clock, better/beefier stabilizers, and a residential thermostat. Other than that its pretty much stock at this point. I did buy a Noco Genius G3500 though to keep the batteries maintained over the winter. They'll spend the next few months hibernating on my bench in the garage.

A couple other essentials I carry are a 30 amp extension cord, three water hoses, an awning mat, a Weber Q BBQ and a folding table for it to sit on. Oh and I can't forget the gravity lounges I got for my birthday. They ride in the truck bed. Thanks kids.

Enjoy your new trailer and don't forget to post some pics.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1. For the sides, Meguires car wash if the TT is extra filthy. Otherwise just water running through a long handled brush. On the roof, just water and brush. To keep the surface slick and shiny, to reduce the damage from UV, and to make bugs wash off easier, I use Rejex. Easy to apply and makes a surface that feels like polished glass when finished.

2. Store generator in the back of the truck.

3. I use the TST 507 TPMS. Doesn't make much difference which one you get, but in my opinion, this is one of the first investments you need to make in your new TT. Don't leave home without one!

4. Anderson levelers and the LevelMate Pro leveling system. Perfect leveling is a complete non-issue with this combination.

Enjoy your new TT!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The day is getting closer for me to pick up my new to me 2016 TR 280RKS.
Congrats!!!! You'll love it!!

We have the 20FQ (2016.5)

Share pics if you would like!

Questions:

1. What type of soap do you use to wash your trailer and its roof?

Our tour at ORV (Kevin/Shane) the other week said to use mild dish liquid or RV/marine products that keep the UV in check. We use the campco wash/wax then followed up with 303 protectant.

2. For those that use generators, where do you store it/them when traveling?

2 Yamaha 2000, one will run most of our 20FQ, a second is needed for ac with a parallel cord. By going this way, it's much easier (and we speculate quieter) than the bigger generators that are difficult to move as well as pack. We place them under a locking tonneau that back flips to tailgate.

3. Do you use TPMS? If so, which make/model?
No

4. How do you level from side to side.....Anderson levelers, blocks of wood, or ?? If wood, anything special?

Anderson Levelers arrive Friday via Amazon, just learned of them yesterday.

DH was reading the ORV Manual (pg 34)
⚠️ Warning
Quote "Do not attempt to use the stabilizer jack(s) to level the trailer, lift the weight of the trailer, raise the tires off the ground, or otherwise place all the weight of the trailer on the stabilizer jacks. Damage to the trailer frame and or door jam(s) may occur. Any damage to stabilizer jacks system or chassis frame from misuse would not be considered a warrantable repair."

We spent the summer doing leveling the 'hard way' with lego blocks. The Anderson levelers look like the ticket and we're excited to try them. We shelled out for the full package with grips, pads, and tire jack. Will post link momentarily... in separate post here so as to not gum up our Q/A.

5. Any refer mods to aide in cooling?

No and we were in heavy heat this summer 100+ and zero shade. We cooled all food prior to putting in our ORV as well as fully freezing frozen foods.

⛄️We read in the manual the coldest spot is the bottom back left, so our covered silicone ice cube trays (BBB) go there stacked.

6. Where do you store sewer hoses?

Back bumper has removable pull snap caps.

7. I plan on installing 3 MaxxAir II vents (black).

We've considered this, haven't gotten there yet.

8. Do you go on roof for maintenance, inspection, washing, etc?

Yes. Slightly unnerving at first but you realize it's very sturdy all the way around. ORV can upgrade your ladder if you wish as a post purchase. If you have confidence in your local dealer they can do this also. Ours is still the factory install.

9. Any other items/tips you can share for a soon to be ORV owner?

I have posted several of our tips and tricks in the mods section here. Our latest has served us well this past week. Two wine corks hold up the bedroom window that is designed 'all up/ down' to have a sliver opening that hasn't let rain in (corks on sides) or standing to allow more ventilation.

ORV recommendations is to not be over 40% humidity as it can wear down your unit in many ways... read the orv manual, tons of good stuff in it. They really worked hard on that book! Anyway, two standing corks really helps when cooking dinner or making percolating coffee in the cold. It has really been a key player for us this last week to not have sweating windows, too much humidity, yada... yada yada... see my post with photos.
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Andersen 3600 - Ultimate Trailer Gear Duffel Bag for Trailers, Campers and RV's https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LMJ50FI..._xUSWzbP93DJNY
Old 09-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For those unfamiliar, Video by company -
https://youtu.be/b4JQV15VzBc
Old 09-20-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Leveling your RV

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Level Mate Pro? I'm considering purchasing it because I love the idea of leveling my trailer without getting out of the truck. http://www.loveyourrv.com/levelmatep...ng-aid-review/

Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by River2View View Post
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Level Mate Pro? I'm considering purchasing it because I love the idea of leveling my trailer without getting out of the truck.
I use it and love it. When used in combination with something like the Anderson Levelers it makes leveling simple and perfect every time.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post

4. Right now, if needed, I use a 2x8 to help level initially then fine tune with the stabilizer jacks. The Anderson levers are a good idea but far too expensive for what they are. I'll wait for the knock offs to arrive.
Camco makes a knock off and cost about 30% less
Old 09-20-2017, 09:53 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hearing that several of you store sewer hoses in bumper....where do you store the end fittings, as they have not fit on any rear bumpers I have seen?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Camco makes a knock off and cost about 30% less
Oh I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
Hearing that several of you store sewer hoses in bumper....where do you store the end fittings, as they have not fit on any rear bumpers I have seen?
If the standard hose ends have the regular coupling and short 90s they'll fit inside the bumper too without removing them.

Edit: This is exactly what came with my trailer. The threaded adaptor is a separate piece and won't fit in the bumper. I've never used it so it just sits in the storage bay. The rest goes in the bumper as does the extension. Most basic hoses are made this way sans adaptor.