Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2019, 09:01 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
New Tow Vehicle

My wife and I traded in our 13 F150 and are the proud owners of an 18 Ram 3500 with the Cummins. My 20FQ has a loaded weight of around 6200 lbs. Is the WDH still needed? Also, if I do use the same WDH do I need to change the weight of the spring bars? Thank you in advance!
RBORV20FQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm sure others will add to this. I have pretty much same T V, I've only been out a few times, but I've noticed very little difference in having them hooked vs unhooked. Trailer tracks right behind even when in ruts from big rigs (ONE of the benefits of having a 1 ton) That being said, depends on what you feel is a comfortable towing experience. Yes some situations you might want/need them hooked up. I have 10,000lbs bars and when hooked up I'm at my max on the bars. For my self, if we are going somewhere close to home, 1-2 hours away, I will not hook up. If we are doing a bigger trip then yes I will hook up, just for piece of mind.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBORV20FQ View Post
My wife and I traded in our 13 F150 and are the proud owners of an 18 Ram 3500 with the Cummins. My 20FQ has a loaded weight of around 6200 lbs. Is the WDH still needed? Also, if I do use the same WDH do I need to change the weight of the spring bars? Thank you in advance!
Nice upgrade! If you don’t mind, you might want to tell us what WDH and Spring bars you have now? I can’t imagine that the hitch tongue weight would be inadequate with the new TW, nor that the tongue weight would adverse affect trim. That said keeping a trailer from swaying in stiff cross winds is important.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
I'm sure others will add to this. I have pretty much same T V, I've only been out a few times, but I've noticed very little difference in having them hooked vs unhooked. Trailer tracks right behind even when in ruts from big rigs (ONE of the benefits of having a 1 ton) That being said, depends on what you feel is a comfortable towing experience. Yes some situations you might want/need them hooked up. I have 10,000lbs bars and when hooked up I'm at my max on the bars. For my self, if we are going somewhere close to home, 1-2 hours away, I will not hook up. If we are doing a bigger trip then yes I will hook up, just for piece of mind.
Agree with your post except the 1-2 hour vs 6-8 hours trips.
A 2 hour trip is no different that an 8 hour trip. We routinely take a 2 hour trip to the Cascades near Sisters Or many times a year. I don't see how a trip like that which takes me on the freeway and then into the mtns for 2 hours is any different than hitching up to head to say Spokane Wa.

Not following your reasoning at all. I could just as easily get caught in a perdicerment 50 miles from my house as 200 miles from my house.

So you're saying that he wouldn't need a WDH for the 1st two hours of the trip but after that he should pull over and snap up the bars for the rest of a longer trip?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You may not technically need it for weight distribution, but I would not want to pull without a hitch that provides sway control, and that usually involves a weight distribution hitch.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
You may not technically need it for weight distribution, but I would not want to pull without a hitch that provides sway control, and that usually involves a weight distribution hitch.
This right here. What WD hitch are you using now? If the spring bars you have now have done the job on the old truck, you should be fine with the new truck.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #7

Personally, if I traded my 1500 in for a 3500 I'd certainly keep the sway control in play. You have it so why not use it.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's a Curt hitch with 10,000 lbs spring bars. I loved it on the F150 and I'm sure I will have to adjust it for the proper height and squat (or lack of) with the new truck.
RBORV20FQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM   #9

Typo perhaps? 10,000 lbs is probably the GTW rating. The bars are probably 1,000 lbs. Yes, you likely won't need much lift.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Agree with your post except the 1-2 hour vs 6-8 hours trips.
A 2 hour trip is no different that an 8 hour trip. We routinely take a 2 hour trip to the Cascades near Sisters Or many times a year. I don't see how a trip like that which takes me on the freeway and then into the mtns for 2 hours is any different than hitching up to head to say Spokane Wa.

Not following your reasoning at all. I could just as easily get caught in a perdicerment 50 miles from my house as 200 miles from my house.

So you're saying that he wouldn't need a WDH for the 1st two hours of the trip but after that he should pull over and snap up the bars for the rest of a longer trip?

I’m not saying he should do anything... I’m saying what I do. No I do not stop after 2 hr drive.... what...usually when your getting ready to head out , you know where your going and roughy how long it will take. For me 1 -2 hours away I’m in the same weather zone, any farther out in BC your hitting mountain passes and things can turn ugly quick even in June.. so local trips I don’t bother hooking up bars.. as stated earlier, don’t really notice a difference. Ecepxt when I’ve Been in snow and ice...when the trailer tries to pass you.. that sucks. Having a tow vehicle that’s not maxed out is a nice way to travel.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:05 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBORV20FQ View Post
It's a Curt hitch with 10,000 lbs spring bars. I loved it on the F150 and I'm sure I will have to adjust it for the proper height and squat (or lack of) with the new truck.
Yes you will. Had to flip mine to raise the ball height to get “close to level” trailer sits approximately 1in down when hooked... no bars attached.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #12

No you do not need a WD hitch to tow. We towed our 20 FQ with an older GMC Duramax but I did eventually go to a Blue Ox hitch. It's really not for the WD portion of the hitch. Blue Ox has built in sway control and is much quieter when negotiating those campground loops. The WD part comes into play when you hit those whoop-de -doos on the highway. Helps with dampening the bounce. The sway control helps with the semis passing on the freeway and the rutted roads.

Need becomes relative. If you are comfortable when towing then you don't need it.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #13

Yes need is relative. May not ever need it until that unexpected "OH CRAP!!" moment arrives.

Tags
tow