Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Norcold fridge door disassembly

Has anyone successfully taken the freezer door frame apart on a Norcold refrigerator? I had the door off and carefully inspected the frame looking for a way to disassemble but couldn't figure it out. The sides of the frame seem to slide on a track but the top and bottom plastic pieces are attached solid. No screws to be found. I am trying to take the frame apart to replace the front panel because 1) there is a gap at the top from a poor factory assembly and 2) I would like to replace it with a stainless steel panel or whiteboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	245167  
danr43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I noticed this on mine also, but on the fridge door. Haven’t done or worried about it.....yet. Will be curious of the replies.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #3

Hard to tell WHICH Norcold Model you have???

N1095...see pg 13/14
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...0_US-IM-AM.pdf

Same type of retainer used on several Norcold models
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hard to tell WHICH Norcold Model you have???

N1095...see pg 13/14
https://www.thetford.com/wp-content/...0_US-IM-AM.pdf

Same type of retainer used on several Norcold models
My fridge is Norcold model N81X. Great idea to look at the manual - who would have thought!!. My installation manual shows that the side panel retainer pieces pull off and the door panels slide in. The manual section showing the panel retainers refers to "See Art00965". Can't find that reference anywhere but I will try pulling those side pieces. Thanks for the tip Old-Biscuit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Norcold manual.pdf (51.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 07:44 AM   #5

danr43-

"Old-Biscuit" right on the money, as usual!

"Art00965" is the number of the illustration immediately to the right of the words.

The retainer strip peels off the edge of the door. No tools required.

The manual also lists the dimensions of the door panels.

You can buy magnetic stainless steel, cut to your size, on the Web. I have priced it out, but not bought such panels yet.

I have had the refrigerator door panel out, as I had to replace the door. (With the Norcold N841 I cannot replace the seals by themselves; the entire door must be replaced to get new seals.)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looking at the manual, who would have thought..LOL
Old 05-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sure enough, the side frame pieces snap right off. My panels appear to be stuck to the door insulation with double-sided tape so I can’t slide them right out. I am looking at ordering magnetic stainless steel panels cut to size as Mark suggested. Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 05-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #8

danr43-

It seems odd that there would be tape in there... Are you sure your doors have panels in them now?

I forget what the reefer door I bought looked like without a panel. You did not see any insulation, I think.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:14 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
He has black inserts in the doors, there should be silver insulation behind the panels (you can see a little bit in his picture, top left corner) That's weird on the double sided tape, wonder how the factory would have got the inserts in with tape on them? Looking at the manual, it looks like just the one side comes off, can you get a long sturdy thin piece of plastic behind the panel and try lifting/prying things loose, without damaging the insulation?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:07 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
danr43-

It seems odd that there would be tape in there... Are you sure your doors have panels in them now?

I forget what the reefer door I bought looked like without a panel. You did not see any insulation, I think.
It looks like there is foil backed foam behind the panels. I’ll find out how the panels are attached. I pried them a little during my initial inspection and it’s some kind of adhesive.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
if I get a chance this weekend I will be trying to move my fridge panel up, so I don't see the silver foil behind. I only see it when I'm sitting at the dinette. I wasn't going to worry about it too much, but now you have me curious...( Thanks for that...LOL) I'm assuming the panel is a little short and after traveling has dropped to the bottom of the track. I my just try to shim it up, or if all else fails put some black electrical tape on the silver stuff, so it doesn't stand out so much. I like the black look (for now) I have buddies that the fridge is in the same location, they have stainless panels, when the sun is shining or the door is open, that refection can be a PITA...
Old 05-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
if I get a chance this weekend I will be trying to move my fridge panel up, so I don't see the silver foil behind. I only see it when I'm sitting at the dinette. I wasn't going to worry about it too much, but now you have me curious...( Thanks for that...LOL) I'm assuming the panel is a little short and after traveling has dropped to the bottom of the track. I my just try to shim it up, or if all else fails put some black electrical tape on the silver stuff, so it doesn't stand out so much. I like the black look (for now) I have buddies that the fridge is in the same location, they have stainless panels, when the sun is shining or the door is open, that refection can be a PITA...
Excellent point about the sun reflecting off the stainless steel. Maybe I will rethink this....
Old 06-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Does the vertical molding break when it snaps off ? Is it re-usable ? My 2019 fqs freezer door has the dark wood insert and it moves up and down-- possible i could shim on the upper or lower ends to keep it from moving.
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:46 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi-will the part # 37, break when taking it off ? Can't seem to get mine off-need to shim the trim up or down to eliminate the panel from moving up and down.Nick
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, fridge, norcold