Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Question Not sure its a problem

whenever the truck is running with the trailer hooked up and the 7 pin plug is connected to the ram, i here a clicking sound( similar to a turn signal flasher) coming from the right rear area outside the trailer. soon as i unplug the 7 pin it stops. anyone else experience this? tia
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 04:17 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No but perhaps the Electric Brakes are actuating? Might need to get a multi meter and see if voltage is fluctuating there?

Assuming your lights are all functioning correctly?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:34 AM   #3

You may have a auto resetting circuit breaker clicking on and off.

Do you have a charge line running thru the 7 pin connector ?

Is the battery dead in the trailer ?
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes there is a charge entering through the seven pin and there are auto reset breakers. In my trailer they’re located just behind the tongue. He would need to check the wiring schematic which is obtainable from ORV.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Agree with twinboat, sounds like auto reset. This obviously just started happening? then something has changed. first double check your seven pin off your tv to make sure your getting the correct voltage, if good, I would pull the access panel off behind/under the tongue, plug the truck in and feel for what's clicking, with wiring diagram in hand start tracing.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin-trailer-connector.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	257726

This might help...
Old 08-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricndot View Post
whenever the truck is running with the trailer hooked up and the 7 pin plug is connected to the ram, i here a clicking sound( similar to a turn signal flasher) coming from the right rear area outside the trailer. soon as i unplug the 7 pin it stops. anyone else experience this? tia

Did it ever work right and, if so, did you make any changes recently?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
lights and brakes have always functioned normally, still do. i first noticed the clicking sound about 1.5 years ago after pulling into a campsite during setup. batteries are fully charged. whats weird is the sound isn’t noticeable from the front, only the right rear area. (rear kitchen). i’ll break out the fluke sunday after fishing. thanks for the suggestions
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

".....i here a clicking sound( similar to a turn signal flasher) coming from the right rear area outside the trailer.
soon as i unplug the 7 pin it stops."

Signal flasher is via trucks system...trailers do NOT have turn signal flashers

At the 'right rear area outside trailer'...........would not be at tongue, on tongue etc
Need to go inside trailer and do an inspection of WHAT is in that right rear area of trailer

Been doing it for 1.5 yrs ......guess it hasn't hurt anything and not a big concern
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
".....i here a clicking sound( similar to a turn signal flasher) coming from the right rear area outside the trailer.
soon as i unplug the 7 pin it stops."

Signal flasher is via trucks system...trailers do NOT have turn signal flashers

At the 'right rear area outside trailer'...........would not be at tongue, on tongue etc
Need to go inside trailer and do an inspection of WHAT is in that right rear area of trailer

Been doing it for 1.5 yrs ......guess it hasn't hurt anything and not a big concern
My bad..Missed that “right rear” not much back there, fridge on the right, furnace center, hot water and slide control left rear. Might have to keep truck plugged in remove some panels to feel listen.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The only clicking sound I've heard at the rear of my trailer is when the frig or water heater is trying to light a propane flame. But that has nothing to do with whether the truck is connected or not. So color me confused.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricndot View Post
Since you have a rear kitchen - all of the gas appliances are located there - the refer, furnace and WH have spark ignitors - none of which are related to the truck connection. I think I would indeed verify that the noise is directly connected to the truck connection. Maybe have someone else unplug it while you stand back and see if the noise continues or perhaps goes away. Also make sure that the WH is off and the Refer is not set to gas (and it is turned off).

I think that everyone else is right that all of the resetting CBs are in the box behind the tongue. So unless there is some sort of telegraph effect you should not hear it at the rear of the TT.

Good Luck with your troubleshooting.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
The only clicking sound I've heard at the rear of my trailer is when the frig or water heater is trying to light a propane flame. But that has nothing to do with whether the truck is connected or not. So color me confused.
Same here. When I disconnect from shore power, there is a clicking sound that comes from the igniter to run the fridge on propane.

I'm wondering if your trailer batteries are in good shape so there isn't power to ignite the propane and run the fridge while disconnected from shore power? Water heater on propane?

Tags
problem