Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV cost me $53500!!!

So it all started last winter when I gently started nudging my wife towards the idea of getting a travel trailer. We had been renting trailers every summer for our vacations but had been disappointed in the dismal construction quality of the trailers we rented. Flimsy stapled together construction, undersized tires, sweating walls, you know the story. I began to ask my deer and elk hunting buddies what trailers they were dragging up into the mountains and down washboard roads on their hunting trips. The answer always came back to Northwoods or ORV trailers. Built tough and built for the NW lifestyle was the common refrain. After many hours of research I was convinced that ORV built an above average trailer that would be a better fit for our boondocking lifestyle of camping. Getting my wife to agree on this substantial purchase was a bit harder but after a trip to an RV show where we compared lots of trailers we finally agreed to purchase a brand spanking new Creekside 23dbs. Oh the visions I had of casting a Royal Coachman into trout infested waters while my wife relaxed beneath the awning of our Creekside just behind me. I could almost taste a fine Makers and Coke as I reclined beside a crackling fire, knowing I had a warm dry trailer to climb into at the end of my day.

Our first big trip in the new trailer was to the ORV camp out in June. I could hardly wait as we loaded up the trailer to drive across Oregon. This is when my finely crafted mental imagery began to crumble as reality began to intrude upon my world. We hooked up to my trusty 2008 Toyota Tundra with its woefully undersized gas tank, pulled out of the driveway and headed off down the road. A short time later we pulled off to fill the gas tank. Feeling frustrated by the need to frequently pull over for gas, and annoyed at only getting 9 mpg my wife gently reminded me that we were now over 50 and while we were filling one tank we could empty another that had been filled just a short time ago with coffee. This barely appeased my need for getting there in a hurry but somewhere in the back of my mind I saw her logic. With a full tank I pushed the throttle to the floor and listened to the mighty 5.7 v-8 roar as I pulled back onto I-84.

The next 200 miles were punctuated by the frequent downshifting of my transmission whenever we encountered the slightest hill. I manually put it in fifth gear and used tow/haul mode but to no avail. Every hill was an opportunity for the Tundra to show off its ability to keep a cool transmission despite repeated shifting under load. After filling up again in Pendleton we headed for the famous trek up Cabbage Hill. Signs warned of slow moving trucks and barrels of water were strategically placed for lesser rigs. I placed the Tundra in third gear and kept it at 4000 rpms as we ground our way up the mountain. My eyes darted between the temp gauge and the gas gauge wondering which would alert me to impending doom first but at last we crested the top of the pass and began the decent into LaGrande. Not satisfied with the vibrations attained while climbing the hill in third I once again shifted down and watched as the tach creeped up past 4000 as the motor and the brakes worked in unison to keep me from a fiery end.

At last we pulled into the campground, tired, exhausted, and grumpy but happy to be among other ORV brethren. We pulled around the campground looking for our site when it began to dawn upon me. Everyone here was pulling their trailers with Dodge Rams! They were everywhere, shiny gleaming diesel pickup trucks with big fuel tanks and fancy exhaust brakes. 2500's and 3500's, Long Horns and Laramies, almost everyone had a Ram pickup. I felt cheated and out of place. Even the 20fq's were pulled by Rams. The next day I slunk off for a hike hoping no one would notice my lowly Toy truck. When I returned even the company reps brought trailers over being pulled by Rams. I hung my head in shame, I had no Ram, no diesel, no rattle, rattle when we headed home.

The rest of the summer passed without incident. We pulled our lovely Creekside over 2500 miles to Canada and back. We screamed across the Rockies while anxiously reading exit signs to see if the essential dinosaur juice could be obtained every 150 miles. We had fun, but the images of those beautiful Ram trucks never was far from my mind.

Once back home I began to finagle, adjust the budget, and scheme. Surely there was a way to get a Ram of my own. At last there was no turning back. I made the fatal mistake of going for a test drive. So here I am $53500 poorer with a new 2500 Laramie ordered and on its way to my front door. I can't wait to hook up my Creekside and head to Montana for a fall hunting trip and next year when I rattle into the campground for the camp out, I will be poorer but will have had a much more comfortable ride getting there.

Thanks to Steve aka Highway 4x4 for his input and to ORV for building such a great trailer.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Glad you got your TT and the new Truck to go with it. When I saw your thread title I thought how in the world could you have lost that much on a ORV TT, unless they sold you one that fell apart and had no warranty. Glad to see it ended up being a positive story even though you spent another $53,500. It's only money but you will now be able to enjoy those days out camping that you described. Congrats and have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we come to ORV campout this year, I guess I will be the only one not towing with a Ram!

Seriously the smile on your face will be hard to wipe off after your first substantial trip with your new oil burner.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #4

It's the Maker Gods punishing you for mixing Coke in their elixir!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good story now enjoy them both when the time comes.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the dark side. Great story. Word of advise, don't start modding the truck. Its more expensive than modding these trailers and very addictive. But then again its only $$$$$$ right.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
When we come to ORV campout this year, I guess I will be the only one not towing with a Ram!

Seriously the smile on your face will be hard to wipe off after your first substantial trip with your new oil burner.
When is the camp out this year?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:59 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats Off Road!!! You really are going to love that truck. It will pull that TT so easy up anything. I know the other Mfg's make fine trucks but I have the Ram so I can only speak of that one. I suggest you learn as much as you can about setting up the EVIC and other controls before you get it so when you do get it the dealer can show you thing and they will be easier to understand. Then play with it before your trip. Glad to have been help and will see you on Ram Row next Rally. Steve&Cannon
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like your writing style...it is good. Q: Does your new truck have dual fuel tanks and did you get gas or diesel ?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:03 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After having switched from a gasser to a diesel, my fatigue level is near zero even as I arrive at my favorite place after HOURS in the saddle. You won't regret it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Like your writing style...it is good. Q: Does your new truck have dual fuel tanks and did you get gas or diesel ?
Single fuel tank, a guy could put a transfer tank in the bed if he wanted to. It is a diesel. Cummins 6.7
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
Welcome to the dark side. Great story. Word of advise, don't start modding the truck. Its more expensive than modding these trailers and very addictive. But then again its only $$$$$$ right.
way too much $$$$$$$$ in my truck/car/car and the trailer is starting to add up.
YEE-HAA
Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
When is the camp out this year?
IIRC June24 &25
Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is one long post, I figured now way I'd make it all the way through, but I did with ease.

For some reason your post was reading like I was hearing that kid narrate the movie "A Christmas Story". Only instead of an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle, you substituted RAM.

Enjoy the rattle, just try not to put your eye out.