Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

ORV Full Feature weight question

Are they including the water weight? or over all dry weight?
Nomad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I believe water, batteries, propane, solar panels not included.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:32 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"The cargo weight is after the weight of the water is removed from the Gross total. You can add 700 pounds with the tanks full."
This is the response I got from ORV when I asked about whether water is included or not in the weight capacity sticker.

John & Linda
2015 Timber Ridge 260RLS
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad69 View Post
Are they including the water weight? or over all dry weight?

Propane Yes
Water No
Batteries No
Factory options No

Ours was suppose to have a 1,900'lbs carrying capacity. The trailer was 300lbs heavier from the factory than the brochure states. Actual caring capacity is 1600lbs...less water (80 gal @ 8.3lbs = 664lbs) and 2-6v batteries the net carrying is 810lbs.

We have 1,450lbs of gear so 800lbs goes in the truck.

Here's a good web site for towing capacities.
RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Commercial Member

It is important that people (especially new buyers) understand that brochure advertised weights are typically based on either a prototype or average of several line units and are not representative of every trailer built due to standard and optional features as well as product changes made throughout the model year. A buyer interested in a specific model, if available at the dealership, should refer to the actual unit weight label located inside the trailer in the galley overhead cabinet. This would be the most accurate method of planning your anticipated weights.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #6

ORV told me that the sticker posted in the frame of the door is the remaining weight that the trailer (Blackstone Merlot 280RKSB) can carry with a full 80 gallons in the clean water storage tank and hot water heater (in my case that is only 839 lbs.). All other waste tanks are empty. It does not include propane gas or any added batteries.

ORVPDMAN needs to be more specific per his response as to what is and not included. It appears that ORV should make this very clear to all new buyers.
dierk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dierk View Post
ORV told me that the sticker posted in the frame of the door is the remaining weight that the trailer (Blackstone Merlot 280RKSB) can carry with a full 80 gallons in the clean water storage tank and hot water heater (in my case that is only 839 lbs.). All other waste tanks are empty. It does not include propane gas or any added batteries.

ORVPDMAN needs to be more specific per his response as to what is and not included. It appears that ORV should make this very clear to all new buyers.
All weights posted or advertised are 'dry' weights.
As listed on our brochures.... "Full Featured Dry Weight"

This is clarified on the 'Trailer Weight Information' label posted inside each unit.

Cargo Carrying Capacity would include but not limited to... Fresh water, LP gas, batteries, any dealer installed options, all your camping equipment, food, supplies, tools, gear, etc, etc, etc that you load into or add onto the trailer. Any 'factory' options added here during manufacturing are figured into the actual weight label.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
All weights posted or advertised are 'dry' weights.
As listed on our brochures.... "Full Featured Dry Weight"

This is clarified on the 'Trailer Weight Information' label posted inside each unit.

Cargo Carrying Capacity would include but not limited to... Fresh water, LP gas, batteries, any dealer installed options, all your camping equipment, food, supplies, tools, gear, etc, etc, etc that you load into or add onto the trailer. Any 'factory' options added here during manufacturing are figured into the actual weight label.
I'm not meaning to be offensive, but I must reply to you that 'dry weight' listings are nothing but useless information to me.

You know how much your trailer will weigh when it is fully loaded. I use the term fully loaded as the maximum weight that you know your trailer can legally and safely weigh. I challenge you to state that.
You know how much the hitch will weigh (even if it's a slightly variable approximation) when the trailer is fully loaded. I challenge you to state that.

Armed with that honest information, I can then intelligently purchase a truck that will properly and safely pull your trailer.

I also ask you why the hitch height is 32"? That hitch height is about 8" too high for my Ram 1500 truck.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #9

ORVPDMAN
Thanks for the clarification, however you included "fresh water" as part of the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) list. That is not what Dave Asmussen total me. He said that the 839 lbs. of CCC that my trailer has, is in addition to having a full fresh water tank (666 lbs.) and full hot water heater (83 lbs.). Thus the total CCC is 839+666+83= 1586 lbs of CCC.
If fresh water was included in the CCC list as you state, then I could not carry a full load of fresh water because, if I did then I would only be able to carry an additional 299 lbs. of food, clothes, etc. in this trailer.
Thanks
dierk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:00 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
I'm not meaning to be offensive, but I must reply to you that 'dry weight' listings are nothing but useless information to me.

You know how much your trailer will weigh when it is fully loaded. I use the term fully loaded as the maximum weight that you know your trailer can legally and safely weigh. I challenge you to state that.
You know how much the hitch will weigh (even if it's a slightly variable approximation) when the trailer is fully loaded. I challenge you to state that.

Armed with that honest information, I can then intelligently purchase a truck that will properly and safely pull your trailer.

I also ask you why the hitch height is 32"? That hitch height is about 8" too high for my Ram 1500 truck.

Jim
Maybe the question should be.......
why does Fiat build the hitch height 8" to low for an ORV trailer.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
Maybe the question should be.......
why does Fiat build the hitch height 8" to low for an ORV trailer.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
It is important that people (especially new buyers) understand that brochure advertised weights are typically based on either a prototype or average of several line units and are not representative of every trailer built due to standard and optional features as well as product changes made throughout the model year. A buyer interested in a specific model, if available at the dealership, should refer to the actual unit weight label located inside the trailer in the galley overhead cabinet. This would be the most accurate method of planning your anticipated weights.

If it is so important why doesn't ORV have an info sheet (on the website) that explains the weights to new buyers?

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
32" hitch height (!!!!), where did you get that??? Normal ORV coupler height on a travel trailer is between 24' and 27" on any I've seen.

Or is that a conversion from Canadian metric to US redneck standards!!!???
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used to think this was easy and simple to figure out. My full featured dry weight is 6180, my maximum trailer weight is 7980, and my net carrying capacity is 1800 pounds. It is clearly listed on their website for each model, every trailer manufacturer that I know of doesn't include batteries, propane or water in their dry weight. Now however I have read this thread and am learning that ORV is purposely confusing their customers with complex formulas. Who knew? My solution is to fill my tanks with water and propane, throw some grub in the fridge, some clothes in a closet, plus all the other stuff I drag around and run it across a scale, if I'm under 8000 pounds all is well. So far I haven't come close to going over max weight.

Papa Jim your problem is not the height of the trailer it is that Fiat now owns Ram and everyone know Italian sports cars sit low to the ground. It's the price you pay for owning a European sports car for a pickup.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight