Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV Furniture? Comfy? or Not so much

With regards to late model recliners and the twin fold out sofa... Comfy? or not so much?

When sitting on the sofa, can an average height women be able to put her feet on the floor and still sit comfortably?

Is the sofa "bony"?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #2

Playing it safe I'd say my woman is above average () but yes, the seating is what I'd consider normal height. As for comfort that's subjective. Somethings you just have to experience and come to your own conclusion rather than rely on someone else's preference. For the record I consider the sofa comfortable thus not 'bony'. YMMV.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Playing it safe I'd say my woman is above average () but yes, the seating is what I'd consider normal height. As for comfort that's subjective. Somethings you just have to experience and come to your own conclusion rather than rely on someone else's preference. For the record I consider the sofa comfortable thus not 'bony'. YMMV.
haha I hear you.

I sat in the recliners in the grand design solitude.. and I'm a full grown man and my feet don't touch the floor!

The couch was comfy though.

But i've been in a bunch of 5th wheels where the furniture was just really uncomfortable. Like the bar of the bed under the sofa was cutting of circulation sort of stuff

When you pull that little bed out of the twin sofa, does it lay pretty flat? I'm not sure who makes the furniture in current ORV's...
Old 01-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The pull out sofa is OK for sitting on. We are going to replace it with a lazy boy reclining love seat. That being said , over the last couple of years various people have used it as a sleeper and they all said it was the most comfortable pull out sofa they have ever slept on.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickeoni View Post
The pull out sofa is OK for sitting on. We are going to replace it with a lazy boy reclining love seat. That being said , over the last couple of years various people have used it as a sleeper and they all said it was the most comfortable pull out sofa they have ever slept on.
For me, it would be a bed for my child once she outgrows a pack n play or portable crib.

I also think a small kids mattress on the floor works too, or an air mattress.

Although, on those mornings where I'm going fishing EARLY, I can see stowing the kid overnight with momma, and me sleeping in the living room so that when I get up, it doesn't disturb everyone so much.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

When you pull that little bed out of the twin sofa, does it lay pretty flat?
In ours the sofa does not lay flat. The backrest is overstuffed so it sits a bit higher than the seating portion. It's too short for me to stretch out on but my wife said it was comfortable despite the height difference.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not impressed with ORV's supplier of their furniture. Never have been a fan of "pleather".

Recliners suck basically, hard to recline and bring back upright.
Fold out sofa ok, but seat could be couple inches deeper.
Never tried it as a bed.
My thoughts, others may vary.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have had to add firm foam to the dinette seats and the sofa due to poor quality of original foam. They are OK for short times.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours came with the upgraded foam in the dinette. Not sure if they made that standard now but it used to be an option. We don't have a sofa so can't help you there.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
interesting
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I have had to add firm foam to the dinette seats and the sofa due to poor quality of original foam. They are OK for short times.
X2. We upgraded the foam seating cushions in our dinette and sofa. The extended sofa was too hard for me for sleeping but it does lay flat. Our grand kids had no problem sleeping on it. My wife is comfortable laying on the non-extended sofa; that's her spot for reading, relaxing and watching TV.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:14 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
X2. We upgraded the foam seating cushions in our dinette and sofa. The extended sofa was too hard for me for sleeping but it does lay flat. Our grand kids had no problem sleeping on it. My wife is comfortable laying on the non-extended sofa; that's her spot for reading, relaxing and watching TV.

Bob
I have to do that upgrade in our 20FQ. Way too stiff on the backrest portion, in particular. They really need to rethink this material. Pretty much my only complaint about the build.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We replaced the bed/sofa with a split recliner sofa. The bed/sofa was uncomfortable as a sofa, and too small for an adult to use as a bed.

The dinette seat cushions are poor. At first sit, they appear firm. Sit there for a while, and the cushion slowly compresses to nothing. We have to replace these cushions with something decent.

The bed mattress is poor. We are planning to replace that too.

In our opinion, ORV uses pretty cheap furniture in their trailers.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I also had to add firm foam to the dinette seats due to poor quality of original foam. I tried to modify the cut of the seat cushions and add some slant to the back rest. Comfort was improved but it only takes about 30 minutes for the seating to become uncomfortable.
I should remove the dinette and replace with two recliners??? Looks like a lot of work, and what to do with the removed dinette.
rvgary is offline   Reply With Quote