Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV Quality Issues

We picked up our new 250RKS T last week and took it out for a shake down cruise. The only things that didn't work were the bedroom ceiling fan wouldn't reverse to the "air in' mode and the Fusion HDMI cable wasn't installed at the back of the unit. However I noted that the edge of the door slider inside paneling about 2 inches in had either been broken off and glued into place or damaged so that a large crack was exposed running up the wall about 16 inches. The crack is located right next to the forward recliner and quite visiable to anyone looking at the wall. I'm surprized that ORV quality checks didn't catch this. And it appears that this will be very difficult to repair as it will likely mean replacement of the entire laminated slider side wall. The second issue is there is a 4 inch lag screw protruding from the main slider wall where someone put the screw in on an angle and it came out the side of the wall. The other issue is there is no privacy screen for the front door. The equipment list shows one, videos and brouchers show one. I called ORV and after two calls got in touch with the warrantee person. He took our trailer information and we haven't heard back from him. On our way home we stopped by the dealer to have them seal a leak in the awning rain gutter and I gave them a list of the issues. They seemed very helpful and seemed to be ready to do something about them. I'm a bit disappointed in ORV that they would let such glaring workmanship related defects out of their plant. Has anyone else experienced workmanship related quality issues with a new ORV? Is this normal?
Island Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

We recently took the ORV factory tour and were surprised to find that the QA inspection was being done in the dark using only a flashlight to inspect for issues. Spots that are found are then marked with masking tape for repair.

When we picked up our new 250 RDS in July we found several of these pieces of blue masking tape still on the trailer. Overall though after having owned two Montana's and a Reflection trailer we are finding that the ORV trailer is of higher overall quality.
Olbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's a pretty small list compared to what I see from other manufacturers and ORV is very good about standing behind their product. Talk to Todd Morton at the factory, he will get it straightened out for you.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

That may be a small list but tow are very serious issues. It's easy to have 10 things that're cosmetic to fix vs 1-2 that are structural.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Quality Issues

If that's all you have you're lucky. I've got a 2016 Glacier Peak and every time I get into a project or just normal day to day stuff I find another "surprise". Bumped a window valance and it came loose a little. What did I find but 3 #%&# holes to try and mount a single screw for a simple bracket. I pulled the bedroom TV down and the even though the bracket has a built-in level on it - nowhere close . Now that's just plain and simple lazy-ass crappy workmanship and NO QC. I requested the wiring diagrams when I was installing my solar, surprise they weren't right either. Oh %^%&*, and electrical is a nightmare. QC was off or asleep when they built mine. I've seen apprentices do better quality work than came off the line for mine. They like "one size fits all". Coax cable for the TV's, need 12" but all you have is 6', what do you do? 3-4' of black tape should do the trick!

They advertise their employees are not just employees but ORV owners too. Maybe they are but at least they have a short drive for warranty repairs!
Silverdillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdillo View Post
even though the bracket has a built-in level on it - nowhere close .
Careful, there, pardner... Are you sure the level on the bracket is any good? The last wall mount I hung in my house had a built in level. It was way off compared to my 48" Stanley Fat Max. I went with the Fat Max...
Old 09-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #7

Yes, don't go by the level in the bracket. My tongue jack has a built-in bubble level (selling feature ) but its nowhere close to being accurate.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #8

I've stated it before and will continue to state, when people start digging "behind" the scenes on their new ORV they may be surprised at the lack of quality.
Justa5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:21 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just returned from a ORV factory tour yesterday. We thought the tour showed (what we think) some quality aspects built into the trailers. Over all, what we witnessed there made us feel pretty comfortable with our purchase of a Timber Ridge. This may change down the road, but for now, this trailer is FAR superior to the unit we just dumped.
We expect to have issues---the same as with our Ram truck that has several recalls with no available parts to rectify the problems, and a couple issues that took several times at the dealer to have repaired.
Starting tomorrow, I'm heading out to the rig to check the electrical system for problems stated on this forum. Ummm, that would be right after I replace the bathroom fan and re caulk the sink in the house.
Anyway, the tour was great, and all owners should take one.
Blazing zipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Range View Post
We picked up our new 250RKS T last week and took it out for a shake down cruise. The only things that didn't work were the bedroom ceiling fan wouldn't reverse to the "air in' mode and the Fusion HDMI cable wasn't installed at the back of the unit. However I noted that the edge of the door slider inside paneling about 2 inches in had either been broken off and glued into place or damaged so that a large crack was exposed running up the wall about 16 inches. The crack is located right next to the forward recliner and quite visiable to anyone looking at the wall. I'm surprized that ORV quality checks didn't catch this. And it appears that this will be very difficult to repair as it will likely mean replacement of the entire laminated slider side wall. The second issue is there is a 4 inch lag screw protruding from the main slider wall where someone put the screw in on an angle and it came out the side of the wall. The other issue is there is no privacy screen for the front door. The equipment list shows one, videos and brouchers show one. I called ORV and after two calls got in touch with the warrantee person. He took our trailer information and we haven't heard back from him. On our way home we stopped by the dealer to have them seal a leak in the awning rain gutter and I gave them a list of the issues. They seemed very helpful and seemed to be ready to do something about them. I'm a bit disappointed in ORV that they would let such glaring workmanship related defects out of their plant. Has anyone else experienced workmanship related quality issues with a new ORV? Is this normal?

I would hope this isn’t normal but after my 23RKS new purchase last Sept2017, I have my doubts. I took my trlr home, parked it in the drive, pulled out all the drawers and vacuumed all the sawdust, pieces of wire coverings, floor coverings, cut out plugs and any other crap the workers felt they should hide out of site. Along with the cleanup I amassed a 17 item list of required repairs!! Some minor and some major but all not acceptable in my book. I took my list and my trlr back to the dealer, had him right up a work order with every one of my concerns written down, the service manager said there were items that would not be covered. I told him if my list was not finished completely to have the business manager write a full return cheque in my name because they could have the trlr back or go to court. The trlr was repaired to my satisfaction but was subject to my inspection. I have to admit they did do a fairly good job with the repairs. I also documented all required repairs with pictures, an explanation of the failure, and what I expected as a repair. The service dept was issued a “warranty required” booklet that they went over BEFORE I left for Home, they also signed my copy to verify receipt and understanding of what I wanted. I have a 35 yr background in commercial truck repair for IH & VOLVO HEAVY TRUCK as a mechanic, charge hand, Service Manager, Warranty Manager. So I have a very good idea how Warranty works. You should do the same thing I did, pull out all your drawers and set them outside, grab a vac, paper pad and pen and give er hell!
almacd1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:08 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
I've stated it before and will continue to state, when people start digging "behind" the scenes on their new ORV they may be surprised at the lack of quality.
Im just curious which ORV product you have experience with? I’m trying to reconcile an opinion that might be a beef with a ORV product, or the company as a whole, or perhaps the industry as a whole?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Im just curious which ORV product you have experience with? I’m trying to reconcile an opinion that might be a beef with a ORV product, or the company as a whole, or perhaps the industry as a whole?

I was a short term owner (2 months) of a brand new 2018 26RKS Titanium fifth wheel. I sold the trailer (with full disclosure to buyer) due to what I felt to be significant construction issues and lack of disclosure by the manufacturer of said construction issues. It pained me greatly as we loved the trailer. My wife and I spent 2 years looking for our retirement trailer. I have owned multiple trailers/fifth wheels through the years. We started our research "backwards" by looking at tank capacities, frame and wall construction etc. in hopes of finding a rig that would last. We felt at the time that ORV met those criteria. Unfortunately what we found with the trailer did not meet our expectations. I am not a fan of the industry as a whole (but I do love owning a trailer and miss not currently having one). I feel we as consumers are continuing to accept quality that is subpar and letting manufacturers walk all over us. My hope with ORV was that by paying more and hearing all the positive thoughts about them I would avoid any significant issues. Unfortunately for us we felt that was not the case. I will not go into every detail at this time as it probably deserves its own thread so as to not take away from the issues of the OP. I will attempt to attach a couple pics of one issue. The trailer had no flow of heated air to front bedroom. Upon further inspection found poorly cut duct work and debris in subfloor venting. This caused the hot air to flow slower and what did make it to the front escaped the ductwork into void spaces. I feel something like this is totally unacceptable and poor workmanship. So in summary of your question, I will buy another RV in the future but it will not be an ORV product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	217874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	217875  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1074.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	217876  
Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #13

I attempted to edit above post but it won't let me. For clarification it should say "low" flow of bedroom heat vent not "no" flow
Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please let us know what TT you buy that is better than a ORV. What ones are you looking at?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality