RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #57

Outdoors RV Owners Club
"Unfortunately, there seems to be a general consensus, especially from the ORV owners club kool-aid drinking folks, that these issues are acceptable and shouldn't really make me upset. "

Ever thought it might be your caustic, insulting attitude that turns people off?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #58

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR View Post
"Unfortunately, there seems to be a general consensus, especially from the ORV owners club kool-aid drinking folks, that these issues are acceptable and shouldn't really make me upset. "

Ever thought it might be your caustic, insulting attitude that turns people off?
LMAO

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:19 PM   #59

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lmao x 2
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:12 PM   #60

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Enough said.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Is this acceptable to any of you?

I was hoping that the pic could be enlarged on your PC's The issue besides the ugly rolled edge is at the front of the TT. It bulges out about 3/4" from just behind the awning to the front cap.
Ours has a few of those on each side. They've been there since I took delivery in January 2017.

My view is that as long as the EPDM is tucked into the moulding well, I am not going to worry about it. Perhaps heat affects these areas more than others.

EPDM is not supposed to be stretched at all during application. If the installers did that, that could be another cause.

Of more concern is the leading edge that is under the front cap. As long as that is sealed and tight, I'm good with it.

I recently returned from the desert and saw a fifth wheel with a giant balloon on the front cap roof area. Clearly the air from towing got under that and is tearing the EPDM off the trailer. THAT is a problem.

I guess it boils down to our tolerance for details. Mine is increasing as I get older.

PS: I don't drink anyone's kool-aid.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #62

Quote:

Other than the obvious fact that this particular reply is a troll attempt, I'd really recommend you meet me in person. Then you can make an honest judgement on my actual causticity. You'd be pleasantly surprised.
Geargut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geargut View Post
Other than the obvious fact that this particular reply is a troll attempt, I'd really recommend you meet me in person. Then you can make an honest judgement on my actual causticity. You'd be pleasantly surprised.
Not a troll attempt. I am not even sure what that is, but you are right, I would be surprised if you are anything other than what you portray here. I have no desire to meet you in person. Life is too short to spend it with people that view the glass half empty. I am done with this thread.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:06 PM   #64

Here are some better pics of my roof. The offset is about 3/4". The dip is about 1/2"
so from about 2' behind the awing the roof suddenly is offset outward 3/4" and from the start of the offset to the front cap it has a 1/2" belly. Theres also what looks like part of a rafter sticking of on the roof edge. The EPDM is stretched pretty tight at that spot.
You can also see how the awning bows out. That obviously shows that the wall is bowed out as well. Nothing is loose or separated, it was simply built this way.

On the opposite side of the trailer theres a vertical bump out almost directly across from the start of the offset. If you put a straight edge on it you can rock each end or the straight edge. The bump out is worse at the gutter and while sighting down the gutter line you can see the bow out. It sticks out the most at the gutter edge and fades away about 16" down the wall. Ironically the roof edge is straight on that side, but since the gutter is fastened to the wall it sticks out. Almost like a rafter was cut too long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	257067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	257068  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	257069  
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Ours has a few of those on each side. They've been there since I took delivery in January 2017.

My view is that as long as the EPDM is tucked into the moulding well, I am not going to worry about it. Perhaps heat affects these areas more than others.

EPDM is not supposed to be stretched at all during application. If the installers did that, that could be another cause.

Of more concern is the leading edge that is under the front cap. As long as that is sealed and tight, I'm good with it.

I recently returned from the desert and saw a fifth wheel with a giant balloon on the front cap roof area. Clearly the air from towing got under that and is tearing the EPDM off the trailer. THAT is a problem.

I guess it boils down to our tolerance for details. Mine is increasing as I get older.

PS: I don't drink anyone's kool-aid.

I'm retired active military so I have little tolerance for missed details. Stay away from that kool-aid!
Old 08-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Not a troll attempt. I am not even sure what that is, but you are right, I would be surprised if you are anything other than what you portray here. I have no desire to meet you in person. Life is too short to spend it with people that view the glass half empty. I am done with this thread.
Bye Felicia
Old 08-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #67

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In the future, when/if we ever buy another trailer the salesman is going to hate our PDI,LOL. We got all the time we want to go over the thing before we buy it. If I had gone over mine better I would have passed on mine and still bought a ORV trailer. Still love the trailer, I can fix the little stuff probably better than the dealer does. But I shouldn't have to. Besides all my short trips, I take a long one every year to the Pac Nor west, 3K miles. Never had one thing fail on any trip. Please pass the cool aid.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
In the future, when/if we ever buy another trailer the salesman is going to hate our PDI,LOL. We got all the time we want to go over the thing before we buy it. If I had gone over mine better I would have passed on mine and still bought a ORV trailer. Still love the trailer, I can fix the little stuff probably better than the dealer does. But I shouldn't have to. Besides all my short trips, I take a long one every year to the Pac Nor west, 3K miles. Never had one thing fail on any trip. Please pass the cool aid.
x2. We never saw ours until we did the PDI. It had to be delivered and didn't arrive until the day before PDI. I would've loved to be able to walk the dealers lot for one but they had none on the lot. Looked at other models that we could've bought on site. But really wanted the 25RDS. We had been in some at RV shows so we were 100% familiar with the layout.
I too would've passed on this one had I caught more issues before hand like the roof. Although some didn't show up until after several trips as some of it's out of your control. Not a big fan of Apache's PDI. They did a great job on installing the Blue Ox and thats about it. My wife and I tagged teamed the tech guy during PDI but still missed some key items.
Such is the life of owing an RV.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #69

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
x2. We never saw ours until we did the PDI. It had to be delivered and didn't arrive until the day before PDI. I would've loved to be able to walk the dealers lot for one but they had none on the lot. Looked at other models that we could've bought on site. But really wanted the 25RDS. We had been in some at RV shows so we were 100% familiar with the layout.
I too would've passed on this one had I caught more issues before hand like the roof. Although some didn't show up until after several trips as some of it's out of your control. Not a big fan of Apache's PDI. They did a great job on installing the Blue Ox and thats about it. My wife and I tagged teamed the tech guy during PDI but still missed some key items.
Such is the life of owing an RV.
Curious minds need to know as to why it had to be delivered?

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:51 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Going beyond all the flames here, your statement that you "should have to" is exactly the point I'm trying to make. You paid a lot of money for your ORV and they're advertised as mountain tough so my expectation is, at the very least, that it lives up to that for at least the trip from the dealer to home. Mine, unfortunately, did not and that leaves an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

Tags
quality