Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

ORV quality issues

Hi all. Just curious if any of you are having quality issues with your new ORV travel trailer. I just bought a new 28BKS and so far it has been riddled with issues. So far nothing major that would warrant sitting at the dealer for 6 weeks to get fixed but just small issues for now. Here's a list.

-sliding room door restraint strap broke first trip home. The restraint design was a poor design for the door.
- sliding door support rail was sagging due to not enough screws. The ones that were in were zipped in so hard they stripped.
- wife plugged her hair dryer into the bathroom plug for the first time and the whole panel caved inward.
- I've got a raise in the floor. It looks like a corner of the sub-floor section isn't attached or something because it raises and lowers depending on the way the trailer is leveled.
- Screen door retention screws on the access doors stripped and barely holding the bracket on.
- When I move the slide in and out, there appears to be an awful lot of wall movement between the couch/dining table etc. Almost like the floor is now moving with the perpendicular wall.

All in all, I feel this is a extremely poor built coach. As a former northwood owner, I'm quite surprised and disappointed.
Geargut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So what have you done about contacting the factory about these issues?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
So what have you done about contacting the factory about these issues?
I've been in contact with them several times and they have put me on disregard. Their response was to go to the dealer. Dealer here is backed up 6 weeks at least. This is a brand new trailer and shouldn't need to sit at the dealer for 6 weeks in the middle of the camping season. I gotta be real honest, a car manufacturer would fail pretty quick if these kinds of problems crept up on a brand new car. Very disappointed.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

As much as ORV owners want to believe these units are built to a higher standard than other brands, they are, but only to a small degree. They're beefier, better frames than most, but definitely not perfect. I could give you my own list but it's lengthy and won't help you.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #5

P.S.

I had a Nash prior to the ORV and a Jayco before that. Each had issues that had to be resolved.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

For the price you pay for these things, you'd think they'd put a little more surface effort into the little things. Really unfortunate.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:44 PM   #7

Agreed, but we keep buying them as is so what's the incentive to have better quality control? The dealers love it as well because they get to charge for service.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLeafsGo View Post
Agreed, but we keep buying them as is so what's the incentive to have better quality control? The dealers love it as well because they get to charge for service.
I would argue that you don't know that the quality is bad until you buy it. It's kind of like a polished turd. I've already had several people ask me about mine at campgrounds and I've advised them not to buy an ORV brand TT. So that's at least 3 lost trailer sales.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #9

Meh, I doubt those 3 people would not buy a specific brand because a pissed off guy at a campground gave it such a negative review, assuming they weren't just looky-loos anyway.

It's like the online reviews you read; do you really make decisions based on one review from someone who's obviously had a bad experience, or do you look at all the reviews as a whole? I would bet the majority of ORV owners would recommend the brand. The wise ones would add a caveat that nothing is perfect, they are mass manufactured, and you should expect that things will need to be tweaked.

Anyone expecting to buy a new RV with zero issues is just naive. If you want a trouble free RV buy something used from a meticulous owner. The guys that bought my Nash and my Jayco had zero issues, I can promise you that. Whoever ends up buying my current ORV trailer will be happy as well.

I get that you're disappointed, and I agree that it shouldn't be that way, but at least take comfort in knowing that ORV stands behind their products and will pay the dealership for whatever needs to be fixed. I've also heard that they're happy to make all repairs at their factory, assuming that's a road trip you can/are willing to make.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Meh, I doubt those 3 people would not buy a specific brand because a pissed off guy at a campground gave it such a negative review, assuming they weren't just looky-loos anyway.

It's like the online reviews you read; do you really make decisions based on one review from someone who's obviously had a bad experience, or do you look at all the reviews as a whole? I would bet the majority of ORV owners would recommend the brand. The wise ones would add a caveat that nothing is perfect, they are mass manufactured, and you should expect that things will need to be tweaked.

Anyone expecting to buy a new RV with zero issues is just naive. If you want a trouble free RV buy something used from a meticulous owner. The guys that bought my Nash and my Jayco had zero issues, I can promise you that. Whoever ends up buying my current ORV trailer will be happy as well.

I get that you're disappointed, and I agree that it shouldn't be that way, but at least take comfort in knowing that ORV stands behind their products and will pay the dealership for whatever needs to be fixed. I've also heard that they're happy to make all repairs at their factory, assuming that's a road trip you can/are willing to make.

They may not take my advice and pass me off as one pissed off owner, however, it sure would stick out in my mind. I definitely value someone's opinion in a campground and believe that if people are happy with a product, they'll certainly tell you. I was happy with my previous arctic fox and problems were very minimal. Really off to a bad start with this thing and that isn't a good sign for longevity.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:

One more thing before I get off the box. You absolutely should expect that something that comes from the factory should have zero issues. It's a shame that quality is so bad in the industry that you expect there will be problems with something right off the lot.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

ORV certainly doesn't build a perfect trailer. None do. Due to MFG build processes there's no way they can. Too much human factor involved. I worked in commercial construction for 30 years before retiring. I did framing, drywall, acoustic ceilings, etc. Not really all that much different than the RV industry. At the end of the job there was always a punch list of things to fix. Sometimes it was only a page or two, sometimes it was many pages. Same as a PDI for an RV. When you have humans involved in every aspect of the construction process, a process thats not under inspection, you increase the risk of poor quality.
I've had some issues with my 2019 ORV 25RDS that certainly bring it down to the level of quality found elsewhere.
I've done a lot of modding and that required removing some access panels and prodding around. What I found was the same as every other MFG. Sloppy cheap construction techniques.
Several of my issues were just flat worker screw ups.
Raised staple under the flooring. I had to slice the flooring then pound down the staple.

The 12V/USB port at the entertainmet center completely pulled out of the thin luan when I tried to remove a 12V plug. The workers drilled the holes so big that the nut on the back of the plug we never part of the connection. All 4 of the faces screws just ripped out. I fixed it by adding some 1/2" plywood backing. Rock solid.

Missed caulking at the top of the front cover and roof edge.

One of the drawer guides under the dinette fell apart during PDI. They seemed to fix it during PDI, however after using it a few more times it broke. I spent 45 mins reinstalling the guides. Has worked great since.

Neither screen door latches worked right in conjunction with the entry doors. After multiple attempts I got the rear door working right. I simply removed the latch from the front door so the screen and door are never connected.

The 12V plug on the bedroom ceiling has pulled out partially. Need to add some backing and re-screw.
The light switch in the slide ceiling was installed crooked. Fixed it.

The roof material is puckered along both sides the full length.

Both roof edges are crooked as you sight down the gutter. The curb side being the worst. I'm still not sure how it could be built this way. None of my previous trailers had the shoddy roof edge that my ORV has.

Bad squeak on the front edge of the slide floor just to the side of the pantry. Every time you go to the pantry the slide floor sqeaks/groans. Very annoying. Did a little investigating yesterday and can't really pinpoint why. I'm thinking it's the roller for the slide thats not solid or possibly defective. I even crawled under the slide and had the wife step on the sldie floor and while I can hear it I can't see it. May have to remove the seal on the floor edge to see what it may be. Or take it back to the dealer after camping season. Arrrg. 100 mile RT twice.

One of the dinette cushions is softer on the front edge than the other. Perplexing. One tends to sink a lot faster than the other when sitting on the entry end. Flipping the cushion 180* solves the issue, but still why?

Paint runs on the tongue. Oh well at least it won't rust where the runs are. LOL

During my prodding around behind the scenes I found the same rats nest of wires and plumbing that I've seen in my previous trailers and the same as other owners have posted from different brands.

I called Todd at ORV to ask about the roof edges and needed to leave a message. Never got a call back. May try again soon. I don't expect much though.

Am I disgruntled? Maybe a little but I expected it. Expecting it doesn't make it better or acceptable. But that's the nature of the RV beast. I read several brand forums and many others have way way worse issues. Not many with less.
I don't regret my purchase yet. I've only had it 4 months. Time will tell.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm glad I bought mine used (1 year old). Not only did I save about $20k, some other long suffering gentleman like one of you guys went through the hassle of getting all the bugs worked out before I bought it! So far in 5 years of ownership all I've had to do is replace an A/C relay board, the grey and black tank valves, and the tires.

Of course I'm not convinced that ORV wasn't doing a much better job on quality back when mine was built either. I think they might be somewhat a victim of their own success over the last few years, and quality may be suffering for it. I keep reading that the RV market in general is flattening now, so maybe things will slow down and they can bring quality back up. I would certainly not be a happy camper if I paid what they are asking for new units and had the issues that some of you gentlemen are finding.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RV's are more like houses than cars, we need to stop comparing them to cars when it comes to construction. Cars are built by robots on an assembly line, from sub assemblies manufactured off site, nothing like the rv industry

I keep quoting the condo my son moved into a few years back, it cost north of $400K and had numerous issues from, unalighned doors, too light switches not connected. He had a 30 period to note any deficiencies, otherwise he would have to wait for a year for the next round of repairs. Now that he has lived there for a few years all the bugs seem to be worked out. Is this what our expectations of the RV industry should be? The answer probably lies somewhere in between the home industry and Vehicle manufacturing

What separates the men from the boys is the customer service after the sale. While in your case they may not be living up to your expectations, most people who have owned several RVs' are quite pleased with ORV and the post sale service they offer.

Tags
quality