RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS / Expedition

Does anybody pull a 23DBS with an Ford Expedition EL? If yes, any concerns or second thought about your tow vehicle? We are scheduled to pickup our 23DBS later this week and I am having second thoughts about my tow vehicle after reading some post on the internet.

Thanks

Stak72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

Gonna need some more info. Year and tow rating of Expedition. Engine size would be nice too. Dry weight and GVWR of Trailer.

Vintage465 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
Gonna need some more info. Year and tow rating of Expedition. Engine size would be nice too. Dry weight and GVWR of Trailer.
It is a 2015 Ford Expedition MAX with a tow rating of 9,100 pounds. The 23DBS dry weight is 6,350 pounds, dry hitch rate of 695 pounds and net carrying capacity is 3,645 pounds. I won't load the trailer with 3,645 pounds of gear.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Load it up, weigh it (3 pass method) and find out. The 3.5L TT Ecoboost and brakes are more than capable. The hard part will be managing the tongue weight & rear axle weight*. I believe (confirm by looking at your sticker) that the receiver in the older Expeditions is only rated for 930lbs max with WDH. If you are over tongue weight but not over RAWR nor payload, you can always find a good welding shop to swap out your receiver for a higher rated one.

*I'm assuming you have payload available. Your payload should be ~1700lbs. If you're camping with 4 200lb high school football players and you and the Mrs are a combined 400, it'll be tough. OTOH, if you're like us and less than 400lbs for all 6, you should be fine WRT payload.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #5

I'm thinking you have a good bit of info to work with now. I drove a 2019 Expedition and it was a real nice rig. Tons of power!
Vintage465 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2016 Expedition EL (not called a Max until 2018). 3.5L ecoboost. My RV is lighter (Creekside 21RD, dry weight: 5300). However, you'll have no problem with power. I've been fully loaded (7,000 pounds plus a loaded expedition) and floored it to merge and the damn thing still takes off like a bullet. Your only concern will be your rear axle weight. Outdoors RVs tend to be tongue heavy. I use a Blue Ox WD hitch rated at 1,000 pounds. It works very well. You might need a hitch rated to 1,500 pounds. I promise you'll be pretty high on the tongue. The dry tongue weight doesn't include the propane or batteries that sit right by the hitch. Plus whatever you put in front storage will go straight on the tongue. Add in everything else and your tongue weight could exceed 1,000 pounds.

I used to tow with a Chevy Suburban. It could barely pull up a steep hill. I traded it in for my Expy and never looked back. Tows like a dream. The EL is built for towing. It's got a nice rear end ratio of 3.73, long wheelbase (130 inches), and the power band is very low because of the turbos. Plus, the turbos negate problems gas engines have at high altitudes with less oxygen in the air. I cruise right over 10,000 ft. passes here in Utah. I don't lose any power. Love it
Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

Problem with loading one up and weighing it means you probably have to buy it first. And then when you find out you're way overweight on the tongue, what is your option? Drive to nearest dealer and get a truck suitable for towing that rv.
SunDevil99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the feedback and information.

It looks like I should have no issues with pulling the trailer. However, the tongue weight of the trailer is going to be a concern.

Tongue weight limit on the Expedition is 910 pounds.
Dry hitch weight of the trailer is 695 pounds.*
Two batteries is roughly 120 pounds.*
Two empty propane tanks roughly 50 pounds.
60 gallons of propane roughly 240 pounds.

If my calculations are correct, that puts my tongue weight well over 1000 pounds and I haven't put any cargo in the trailer yet?

I checked the ORV brochure and the spec weights do not include propane, batteries, water or cargo.

What a bummer.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #9

Too heavy, my friend. The GVWR for 23DBS is 9995lbs. That's the number you should be working off. It is 3/4-ton territory.
Species8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:58 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The good news is there should only be only 60# of propane at the tongue, not 60 gal in your calculations.

The bad news is your loaded tongue weight will be close to 1k#. This is from my experience weighing my TR 240RBS. Its dry hitch wt. as listed is similar to yours. GVWR is 8,300# per sticker. I put it on a scale on the way back from a weekend trip, IIRC, tongue was 968#. GVW was 8,100#. And I didn't even have the FW tank half full.

My point is do not believe the brochure dry weight. The tongue weight shall be calculated based on 12% of the 9995 # GVWR which is 1,200# and size your TV and hitch accordingly. In your case, I'd get a 1,400# WDH if you decided to use your Expy as TV providing you have the payload rated for it.
Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:37 AM   #11

Is that dry weight from the yellow sticker on the actual camper you are purchasing. The yellow sticker on my 23 DBS says mine weighs 6999#. Add water and the stuff on the tongue and you are already at 8000# with nothing inside. You will be at max towing capacity before you know it. Tongue weight is a whole other problem. There is a reason guys are using the 14k Equalizer with this camper and not the 10k.

2016 Outdoors RV Creekside 23DBS
BayouBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2017 23 RBS and the loaded tongue weight is right at 1000 pounds, 1100 if we are going on a long trip. Add 100 pounds for the hitch and you could be at 1200 pounds before you put passengers or gear in. If you have kids or carry anything else in the Expy with you you will be way over.

I had a 2005 Expy when I bought mine. Had a 9000 pound tow rating and a 1700 pound cargo capacity and about a month later I was truck shopping. It had plenty of power but the tail was wagging the dog. I think the independent rear suspension added to the spooky feeling. I would not have wanted to try performing emergency lane changes with that setup. Plenty of power, just not enough control.

keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote