Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #1

ORV...worth it?

Hey guys,

Been lurking for a little while and love the info in this forum. Solid spot all around.

Been shopping for a TT for over a year and am leaning towards the ORV brand. Specifically, the 23 DBS Timber Ridge.

Looking for some input from you experienced ORV owners on a couple things:

1. Is the ORV brand truly worth the premium price? I've from Northern BC and will have to travel a fair distance to purchase the unit I like. I'm finding that pricing is easily 10K more than any other brand with a similar floor plan. The ORV literature/advertising has me sold but wanted to get input from owners.

2. As I don't have a local ORV dealer, what I your experience with warranty/repairs without one? I'm a pretty handy fella (most of the time lol) but nervous relying on a warranty without a local dealership.

3. Im thinking of importing the unit from the USA to Canada. Seems US dealers have more competitive pricing and better selection. Anyone done this with ORV?

Thanks in advance. Truly appreciate any input.
NorthernJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to meet folks and get advice and support.
We bought our GP 5th wheel after 2 motorhomes, so hard for me to compare to other rigs, but having said that, we have never been back to the dealer with any repairs. We did make one factory trip for some warranty work which was fairly minor and could have been done anywhere. I am very happy with the quality of our rig and will be heading out soon to California for a month of sunshine.
All the best in your "hunt" for the right rig but my guess is that you would not be disappointed with an ORV product.
I know folks who have imported used RVs to Canada without any big hurdles and I had no problem bringing my Harley up from the US, but I am not sure on pricing with our current "low" dollar.
Cheers, Alex
Old 03-11-2018, 12:36 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club

Over coming the exchange rate is the real issue. A few years ago when the exchange rate was more favorable our parking lots had more cars from Canada than locals ( We live on the border with Ontario). There are many Canadians here on the forums who have ORV products and love them. I traveled last June from New York to Washington/Oregon to pick up an ORV 24 KTS.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:43 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We are more than pleased with our ORV. We have had 2 issues needing a visit to the dealership. Like all RVs there is a constant regime of maintaining the unit as well as small repairs that we do our selves.

With the Canadian dollar struggling against US greenback, prices are fairly similar on both sides of the line. A sharp negotiator should be able to buy in CDN, assuming you are buying a new unit .
Old 03-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We travelled to Kamloops to get ours new in 2013. But the exchange rate was better back then and the trailers more affordable. These days I'd prolly be looking at used; back then there weren't any.

Our previous trailer was bought new in Texas and brought across the border. No problems. Just get all the necessary paperwork and temporary plates from the dealer. Lots of info on the net.

No problems in dealing with ORV from a distance. Although I did all my warranted repairs with parts they sent me, they offered to have a local shop do it. In fact I think they were worried that I wouldn't do the job right!

And yes I do think the "4 Season" ORV trailers are worth it, especially if you plan to spend a lot of time in them in marginal weather. If all you're doing is a few weekends each summer ... maybe not.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

As for me...I'm sold on either an ORV or a Northwoods Mfg unit...a Fiver for sure. Only thing is that I think they could have some nicer updated floor plans...seem a little old style to me.

Going Full Time by June 1 ...can't wait to see the beauty of the Canadian Provinces!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:16 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernJeff View Post
*SNIP*

1. Is the ORV brand truly worth the premium price? I've from Northern BC and will have to travel a fair distance to purchase the unit I like. I'm finding that pricing is easily 10K more than any other brand with a similar floor plan. The ORV literature/advertising has me sold but wanted to get input from owners.

2. As I don't have a local ORV dealer, what I your experience with warranty/repairs without one? I'm a pretty handy fella (most of the time lol) but nervous relying on a warranty without a local dealership.

1. My research was extensive before our purchase. We needed a unit that was above average for weathering the cold. We will camp from October to April in the Northeast and Ontario. If you are camping in the "off season" in northern BC you qualify!

2. The factory has stood behind the few issues I had. The repairs I did the parts were sent promptly to me. The other repair I needed was preformed by a local RV shop and the reimbursement check was promptly recieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
As for me...I'm sold on either an ORV or a Northwoods Mfg unit...a Fiver for sure. Only thing is that I think they could have some nicer updated floor plans...seem a little old style to me.

Going Full Time by June 1 ...can't wait to see the beauty of the Canadian Provinces!
We start our coast to coast Canadian trip the first few weeks in June also. Heading to Newfoundland then trekking to British Columbia.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Since we have the same trailer you’re looking at, (Creekside version before they standardized the different lines) I guess I should chime in. We rented several trailers for summer vacation trips before we purchased. I was really disappointed with the quality of the trailers we rented. Most were brand new that season but were already falling apart. Bunks breaking, cabinet doors falling off etc. it really made me want to forget the whole RV experience. Then we discovered ORV. Solid custom frames, screwed cabinets and bunks, decent insulation and so on. There are several things that added together just make a more solid trailer. Do they have problems? Yes they do, but as Coops on here often says, “a trailer is a trailer”. Most components in trailers are all the same although ORV strives to source the best components they can. For example most ORV trailers use the biggest 35,000 btu furnace, the bigger stove etc. We have been very pleased with our purchase and after two years of use we went to the RV show where we purchased our trailer and didn’t see anything we would rather have. If we decide to change floor plans sometime in the future ORV would be at the top of our list.

If you’re looking to save some money I noticed that there is a 23DBS for sale used on the Portland Craigslist. Price looked good but I don’t know anything about the condition of the trailer. Just saw it on there yesterday.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #9

Although prices appear to be higher in Canada they also seem to have a higher markup and like Rick mentioned if negotiated you should be able come away with just as good a 'deal' this side of the 49th.

I only became aware of ORV last spring when I went to look at the Creekside we ended up buying. Since then I've been to a few dealerships and trade shows for no other reason to just look and see whats new and I've come to the conclusion that generally ORV products seem to be assembled better. The doors fit better, things line up the way they should, etc, etc. All the manufacturers use pretty much the same appliances so not a lot of difference there but the structure itself seems to be where they beat the others. I wouldn't go so far to say all ORV are perfect but at least a step above. But as mentioned they are still just trailers so beware and look them over closely before making any offer. You won't be buying a Rolls.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Although prices appear to be higher in Canada they also seem to have a higher markup and like Rick mentioned if negotiated you should be able come away with just as good a 'deal' this side of the 49th.

I only became aware of ORV last spring when I went to look at the Creekside we ended up buying. Since then I've been to a few dealerships and trade shows for no other reason to just look and see whats new and I've come to the conclusion that generally ORV products seem to be assembled better. The doors fit better, things line up the way they should, etc, etc. All the manufacturers use pretty much the same appliances so not a lot of difference there but the structure itself seems to be where they beat the others. I wouldn't go so far to say all ORV are perfect but at least a step above. But as mentioned they are still just trailers so beware and look them over closely before making any offer. You won't be buying a Rolls.
Which dealership did you buy from? We've been speaking to some dealers in Alberta and getting mixed reviews.
NorthernJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

No dealer. I bought mine privately from the original owner.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Hey guys,

Been lurking for a little while and love the info in this forum. Solid spot all around.

Been shopping for a TT for over a year and am leaning towards the ORV brand. Specifically, the 23 DBS Timber Ridge.

3. Im thinking of importing the unit from the USA to Canada. Seems US dealers have more competitive pricing and better selection. Anyone done this with ORV?

Yes, buying in the US is worth it as Canadian dealers are few and far between. Inventory is low as the season is short and dealers are required to maximize profits with minimum inventory on hand. You will save thousands of dollars buying in the US and using RIV.ca as a guideline. My next trailer will be bought in the US.
AltaLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey guys,

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/outd...rs-343840.html
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #14
GBB

Hope so..have one on order..sight unseen
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote