Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #1443

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Problem with sewage valves

Ok. Last time this will be an "issue" for me. One of my first trips of the season a few years ago, I discovered both my sewer valves were open when I went to attach my hose. YUCK!! I assumed this was my fault, and I had forgotten after removing the hose the season before. Then it happened again. Then again yesterday. I don't believe I am forgetting to close them, since I absolutely HATE the results. Not that it isn't a possibility.
Has anyone experienced a gremlin that may make these valves vibrate open on the way to a campsite? Highly unlikely, but I thought I'd ask. Does anyone have a better check system, than remembering to look underneath their trailers before they pull out on a trip? I've thought of three systems so far; the fanciest is and LED green or red light with solenoid controlled valves, if any company makes these, and the easiest being a hole dilled in the bottom of my trim near the valves where I could attach a "Remove before Flight" ribbon..
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #1444

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used this twist on waste valve Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve when I had a leaking black tank main valve until I could repair it.

I could provide an extra layer of security for you just in case it happens again.
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #1445

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That would certainly check against them opening during travel! I considered a cable and lockpin arrangement as well, or a small chain across the handles. Thanks Stuart!
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 AM   #1446

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
A twist on valve is the first "accessory" I bought with the new trailer! It totally gets rid of unpleasant dumping surprises! But I have never heard of valves vibrating open. Three trailers ago the factory replaced a faulty cable operated black water valve with an electric valve. It worked fine for awhile but it finally started to jam and it was a pain to get it going again.

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM   #1447

I can modify the propane cover and use the clamp on latches. New question-my 2014 Ram 2500 has a 2.5 inch receiver-the BXW 1500 fits 2 inch receivers-do most of you BlueOx Swaypro owners use the 2" insert to use the 2" shank ? And last ? My tongue weight was around 1100# with none of our belongings aboard so I'm guesstimating a TW of close to 1200# loaded. So correct me if wrong but would opt for the 1500# bars??

2016 Blackstone 240rksb (newbie)
alant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #1448

Yes, you use the sleeve.

Use the bars that are closest to your tongue weight. If you go over that weight then go to the next bars.
If you go higher on the bars than what you really need they don't allow for enough flex and can result in a harsher ride.

I'm right on the edge on my equal-i-zer to needing a 1200lb setup and selling the 1000lb setup I have now.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #1449

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alant View Post
I can modify the propane cover and use the clamp on latches. New question-my 2014 Ram 2500 has a 2.5 inch receiver-the BXW 1500 fits 2 inch receivers-do most of you BlueOx Swaypro owners use the 2" insert to use the 2" shank ? And last ? My tongue weight was around 1100# with none of our belongings aboard so I'm guesstimating a TW of close to 1200# loaded. So correct me if wrong but would opt for the 1500# bars??

Glad to hear you got it mounted.

With my Equal-I-Zer I just use the 2" insert in the 2.5" receiver. I could order a 2.5" shank but the stupid hitch is so heavy already, I hesitate to do so. So far, no problems with the insert, other than I had to purchase a longer pin to hold the shank in.

My TW is prolly 1200-1300# these days and I use the 1400# Equal-I-Zer bars but only maybe on half their max tension. In your case I would go with the Blue Ox 1500# bars.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:28 PM   #1450

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
With my Equal-I-Zer I just use the 2" insert in the 2.5" receiver. I could order a 2.5" shank but the stupid hitch is so heavy already, I hesitate to do so. So far, no problems with the insert, other than I had to purchase a longer pin to hold the shank in.
Me same-same. I already had the longer pin, and it all works fine.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:27 PM   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by alant View Post

Weight in the tow vehicle affects bar size.

If you used the 2" ball mount with a sleeve it affect the shear strength of the 5/8" pin.

Swaypro sent me the 2 1/2" ball mount no charge and I sent the the 2" ball mount back....the 2 1/2" is a big chunk of steel.

I don't know who messed up but the 5/8" pin wouldn't fit so I had to run a drill through the receiver/ball mount.

I use a 30,000lb tow ball...it was $12.00 more than the 15,000lb

I'm using the 1,500lb bars with the 8th chain link. I determined the 8th link by starting at the 5th and increasing 1 link at a time until thing felt good. I may try the 9th link on the next tow.....we will be carrying a pile of firewood in the truck.

Without the SwayPro I run the back tires 15psi higher.

With the SwayPro I run the back tires 5psi higher.

Buying a tongue jack scale and then checking the weight on the trailer axles / hitch / tow vehicle is on my to do list.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:06 PM   #1452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
Weight in the tow vehicle affects bar size.

If you used the 2" ball mount with a sleeve it affect the shear strength of the 5/8" pin.

Swaypro sent me the 2 1/2" ball mount no charge and I sent the the 2" ball mount back....the 2 1/2" is a big chunk of steel.

I don't know who messed up but the 5/8" pin wouldn't fit so I had to run a drill through the receiver/ball mount.

I use a 30,000lb tow ball...it was $12.00 more than the 15,000lb

I'm using the 1,500lb bars with the 8th chain link. I determined the 8th link by starting at the 5th and increasing 1 link at a time until thing felt good. I may try the 9th link on the next tow.....we will be carrying a pile of firewood in the truck.

Without the SwayPro I run the back tires 15psi higher.

With the SwayPro I run the back tires 5psi higher.

Buying a tongue jack scale and then checking the weight on the trailer axles / hitch / tow vehicle is on my to do list.

Thanks for the replies! I contacted Blue Ox via email and they offered the same deal-send a copy of the invoice and they will send the 2.5" hitch shank with a return label for the 2"- really nice of them because I believe they do cost more and the shipping cant be cheap. They suggested the 1500# bars so I will order those.

I'm pretty sure that anything behind the rear axle effects tongue weight. We have been weighing everything that goes into the TT and will try to keep a balanced load to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible. Got the TPMS, Maxxis E range tires and the Sway Pro is on it's way. Also had to put a 90 degree Valterra elbow on the black tank drain cause there was no way the drain hose would clamp on horizontally-the skirts are too close to the opening. I'm sure we will find other things to fix or modify before our first trip.

I know this forum has been a valuable asset in learning about ORV products and the small problems everyone seems to encounter and how they go about fixing them. I have gone through these posts several times and take notes so when a problem arises I can check back and use this valuable knowledge to fix our problem.

Thanks to all you good folks!
alant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #1453

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Inside wood trim coming loose

The wood trim is coming loose on both sides of an interior side post to our large slide-out (two strips each about 5' in length). I probably knocked the trim loose by banging into it every time I re-positioned one of our recliners when we set up at camp. It looks like the trim is held in place by small finish nails. I considered gluing the trim in place before I realized what a mess it would be to remove it if that ever became necessary. Should I just use more finish nails or should I use something like dry-wall screws to re-attach it?
-Bob
Old 07-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #1454

Outdoors RV Owners Club
JMHO,,, glue it, clamp it, forget it.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #1455

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Used a little wood glue on mine when I was repairing other trim issues.