Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 09:25 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
Last month we were at a park with cable & I had the same problem as before when I used the trailer's park cable input & output. I then connected the park cable to the DSS connections in the trailer and had a great picture.

Finally found time to do delve into the trailers coax cables. I started at the rear of the trailer where the cables come into the trailer, moved on to the wall plate next to the TV. The DSS input & output cable is separate from what I would call a splitter. Dave (ORV) told me there are no splitters in my trailer, but I will call it a splitter anyway. There are 5 black wires attached to the splitter, all labeled (I was surprised), these wires are connected to coax cables (except the one labeled "To TV 3".

From what I have read on this forum, "park cable" connections is a common issue, Dave verified this was a "production problem" and production is not fixing it, he also said he was fielding numerous calls every day on this issue. Yes there might be a bad/poor cable or connection somewhere, but the real issue is known to ORV and they have not fixed it as a 2016 trailer is having the same problem. There has been talk of seperating the TV antennae "in cable", has anyone done that? What about disconnecting the "cable in" black wire & the inside TV coax cable and run the coax cable from the park cable and connect it directly to the black wire (cable in), if the TV works then the problem would be in the splitter?? I do not have access to a TV cable at home so disconnecting any cable would have to be done while in an RV Park.

I am tired of dealing with ORV and they are tired of dealing with me so I hope someone else has or will contact ORV, we should not have to be trouble shooting a known problem.
My plan is to just remove the so-called park cable from its termination in the antenna amplifier unit (wall plate) and re-connect it to a separate plug that the television signal input cable can connect to. After doing that, both DSS and park cables will be functionally identical.

By the way, this problem is not unique to ORV trailers. We had the same issue in our Arctic Fox.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #30

Commercial Member

This is the way they are supposed to wire it...

I wasn't aware that there have been interference issues. May be a coax connector/shielding problem as mentioned earlier. If you guys see a problem with what we show in this drawing let me know, I'd like to make sure that we ARE getting it correct. Also the SATELLITE jack at the combo wall plate is not interconnected. It is a stand alone connection.

Jamie
Old 07-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad to see ORV providing assistance on this forum. Thanks!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
This is the way they are supposed to wire it...

I wasn't aware that there have been interference issues. May be a coax connector/shielding problem as mentioned earlier. If you guys see a problem with what we show in this drawing let me know, I'd like to make sure that we ARE getting it correct. Also the SATELLITE jack at the combo wall plate is not interconnected. It is a stand alone connection.

Jamie
Jamie,

Thanks for your post! The problem is that little tiny box labeled "TV", next to the "DSS" box in your schematics. The cable TV input cable connects there and the over-the-air antenna amplifier, even if turned off, somehow screws up the cable signal, at least from my experience. I have seen this on two different rigs.

Are you responding as an ORV Mfg rep? If so, good show, and many, many thanks!!

Bob
Old 07-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Creekside cable problem

I too am having issues with cable reception. I have one coax plug outside. Above the TV are two coax plugs. It is my understanding that one interior plug is for the amplified antennae and the other is connected to the exterior plug (for whatever I hook up there). I have to manually unscrew the TV connection and move it from one interior plug to the other and, if using the exterior plug, to shut off the amplification to avoid interference. We get TV ok thru the antennae plug but nothing thru the other when the park cable is connected to the exterior plug and the tv is connected to the second interior plug. We verified cable was working by simply routing our own cable from the park hookup thru the window and directly to the TV bypassing the trailers cabling completely and that works. Hmmm. Something wrong with the trailer wiring? Or do I understand how this works correctly?

1. What do I check now?
2. Can I install an a/b switch inside so I just switch between the two cable hookups internally instead of manually moving the cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Msbehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehavin View Post
I too am having issues with cable reception. I have one coax plug outside. Above the TV are two coax plugs. It is my understanding that one interior plug is for the amplified antennae and the other is connected to the exterior plug (for whatever I hook up there). I have to manually unscrew the TV connection and move it from one interior plug to the other and, if using the exterior plug, to shut off the amplification to avoid interference. We get TV ok thru the antennae plug but nothing thru the other when the park cable is connected to the exterior plug and the tv is connected to the second interior plug. We verified cable was working by simply routing our own cable from the park hookup thru the window and directly to the TV bypassing the trailers cabling completely and that works. Hmmm. Something wrong with the trailer wiring? Or do I understand how this works correctly?

1. What do I check now?
2. Can I install an a/b switch inside so I just switch between the two cable hookups internally instead of manually moving the cable?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I think you have a correct understanding of the mysteries of ORV television cabling.

Next, I would check the connection behind the interior wall plate. Short one end of that cable and check the other end for continuity. If it is good, I would terminate the wall plate end of the cable at another location. I plan to do that in our WR.

If the cable is bad, i.e. it has no continuity, I'd talk to the ORV Mfg. folks about how to fix/replace it.

Yes, you can install an A/B switch. I did it on our Arctic Fox and it worked fine. I haven't felt a need (yet) to do it on our WR.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 07-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #35

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
You may want to check the fittings on the end of the cables. The factory uses a low quality screw on fitting that is not rated for digital use. I found several of mine that had the shielding touching the center conductor causing a short or poor reception. Also now I am getting more FM staions as well.

Did correcting the connectors eliminate tv interference? Even the cheapest connectors should not cause interference issues. I am looking into this and am about to send a message to the manufacturer of the amplifier device for suggestions. I did talk to Dave today about this...the only thing I could get from him regarding interference was some customers mentioned it only occurred when the LED lights are switched on. Has anybody looked at that? Can anybody confirm that their connections and coax are clean with no shielding issues and still has the interference issue??

"Jamie,

Thanks for your post! The problem is that little tiny box labeled "TV", next to the "DSS" box in your schematics. The cable TV input cable connects there and the over-the-air antenna amplifier, even if turned off, somehow screws up the cable signal, at least from my experience. I have seen this on two different rigs.

Are you responding as an ORV Mfg rep? If so, good show, and many, many thanks!!

Bob"

What is strange is that the interference occurs thru both ant or park makes me think the amplifier circuitry is picking up a radio typ noise unless a bad shield issue is able to feed back thru the device.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:46 PM   #36

FWIW,
A simple test to see if there is a short is to check continuity between copper core of coax, and outside metal collar of "F" connector. You can progress further in the system like the "black box", by also checking its connectors. Isolate and check every link to narrow it down. If you get continuity between copper core & shielding, you have a short.
I hope ORV is NOT USING STAPLES in placing their lines. All it takes is one to penetrate cable , or crush shielding & core to cause a short.
wthesing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #37

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthesing View Post
FWIW,
A simple test to see if there is a short is to check continuity between copper core of coax, and outside metal collar of "F" connector. You can progress further in the system like the "black box", by also checking its connectors. Isolate and check every link to narrow it down. If you get continuity between copper core & shielding, you have a short.
I hope ORV is NOT USING STAPLES in placing their lines. All it takes is one to penetrate cable , or crush shielding & core to cause a short.
No staples.....zip ties w/screw loop.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
No staples.....zip ties w/screw loop.
Glad to hear that! One possibility eliminated.
wthesing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, satellite