Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Owners manual states not to change your own tire

Ive been reading the owners manual on my new Outdoor RV Creekside Mountain series 20FQ and came across a few surprising things that need each their own thread. The first thing I want to ask is the section on changing your own tire,

The manual states, if you get a flat tire to call your Road Hazzard warranty company to get a tow truck out to change the tire for you. The manual tells you not to attempt to change your own tires. I thought it was kind of weird that the trailer didn't come with a tire changing jack. Now I know why. I bought a 4 ton bottle jack lift from Harbor Frieght for $12. I guess I should return it.

Also! The section on Torquing the lug nuts. wow, 100 lb PSI give or take 10 lbs is what is required and they manual stressed NOT to use a X type Lug wrench. To only use a 100 LB torque wrench. I guess I should return my bottle jack and get my a torque wrench from Harbor Freight.

Any thoughts?
stylinlp38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

My guess is that the company is taking the "legal" highroad. It is safe to print in the owners manual that you should not change a tire.
If they didn't and someone had the trailer fall and cause injury and damage, it could mean a payday for an attorney without the printed instructions "not to change a tire".

It does seem odd that the manufacturer would print that you shouldn't change a tire, but then prints torque specs for the lug nuts

If / when you change a tire on a trailer, there are special considerations.
I usually leave the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle, because I can set the parking brake on the tow vehicle to help hold the trailer in place.
I would always recommend chocking the other wheels and make sure that the trailer is on level ground and a firm surface.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In my opinion, if you are comfortable jacking up a heavy TT, changing the wheel/tire, and torquing it properly, then there is absolutely no reason not to change your own. And I see no reason not to use an "X" type lug wrench for spinning the lug nuts off/on, but you definitely want to have a torque wrench to do the final tightening to ensure that you meet the torque requirement stated in the manual. It's simply not safe to either under or over torque the lug nuts. You may also need an extension so that the torque wrench can actually reach the lug nuts inside the dished wheel. And you will also want a solid "pad" for your bottle jack in case you don't have nice solid asphalt for jacking.

But, if you have roadside assistance, there's nothing wrong with letting them do the dirty work either, other than you will probably be sitting on the side of the road longer than if you do it yourself.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. I will keep the bottle jack in case of emergencies and go pick up a torque wrench.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And make sure you have the right size socket for the lugs. On mine, the spare tire was mounted with different size nuts than the wheel lugs, so you might check that.

For me, the easiest way to change the trailer tires is with a ramp. Have a couple at home used to lift the front of the truck and strap one on the back of the trailer when travelling.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It's amazing the things lawyers get put into instruction manuals. I once remember seeing a warning label to not use your hair dryer when taking a bath.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

Last night I had a nightmare that I had to change a tire and didn't use a pad under the bottle jack. The trailer started to tip over on top of me and had to have a friend lift the trailer back on its wheels while I was pinned lol
Old 06-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #8

It's not just the lawyers. A lot of folks who work on their own cars don't use torque wrenches. You can get away with it a lot. You cannot get away with it some places. Wheel lugs on heavier vehicles is one of those places.

Bottle jack placement is somewhat critical. There are only a few places solid enough to put a jack under without doing serious damage. Speaking of damage, I put a hole in one driveway by trying to lift a small truck with a bottle jack. It went down instead of the truck going up. The issue is pressure per unit area. The small base on the jack puts a high load on the pavement. Use at least a 2 inch thick wood pad under the jack. Better if you can scrounge up a piece of steel plate to put between the jack and wood.

Then there is the weight of the spare...a 4 ft pry bar can be your friend... if you can get the tire in position.

I can do all that but I pay for roadside assistance. With the RV I can wait in comfort with a cool drink and A/C off the generator. Even do a meal or take a nap. I'm retired, the kids need the work. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
...a 4 ft pry bar can be your friend... if you can get the tire in position.
The pry bar is a good idea (coming from a guy with back issues).
RV'ing often requires a little ingenuity and figuring out how to use tools for multiple purposes.

A shovel is pretty handy to have with you. I learned (again due to back issues) that a good strong round blade shovel is a great pry bar, when trying to get a tire/wheel up on the lugs.
The rounded blade of the shovel will, to some degree, cradle the tire and will allow you to easily lift the wheel into position... thus helping to save your back.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As for getting the new tire mounted to the hub/lugs, another trick is to slowly lower trailer until you can slide the wheel's lug holes onto the top 2 lugs of the hub (while the wheel is still sitting on the ground, with the top tilted slightly toward the hub). Then pump the bottle jack to slowly raise the trailer back up and it will lift the tire/wheel for you. Of course if you have one of those bottle jacks that drops instantly, rather than letting you slowly lower the TT, you might not want to try this...
Old 06-24-2017, 02:28 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
It does seem odd that the manufacturer would print that you shouldn't change a tire, but then prints torque specs for the lug nuts
Not at all. It is the vehicle operator's responsibility to ensure they are driving a safe vehicle, so you need to be able to tell the people that changed your tire what the torque specs are.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Not at all. It is the vehicle operator's responsibility to ensure they are driving a safe vehicle, so you need to be able to tell the people that changed your tire what the torque specs are.
And make sure they use a torque wrench. That is part of why I carry one. Womping down on it with the big air gun can warp or break things.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
It's amazing the things lawyers get put into instruction manuals. I once remember seeing a warning label to not use your hair dryer when taking a bath.
WHHAAAAAATTTT?????? waaaait....A warning label saying 'not to'!!??? But I like to dry my hair while soaking.
harleydu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinlp38 View Post
Ive been reading the owners manual on my new Outdoor RV Creekside Mountain series 20FQ and came across a few surprising things that need each their own thread. The first thing I want to ask is the section on changing your own tire,

The manual states, if you get a flat tire to call your Road Hazzard warranty company to get a tow truck out to change the tire for you. The manual tells you not to attempt to change your own tires. I thought it was kind of weird that the trailer didn't come with a tire changing jack. Now I know why. I bought a 4 ton bottle jack lift from Harbor Frieght for $12. I guess I should return it.

Also! The section on Torquing the lug nuts. wow, 100 lb PSI give or take 10 lbs is what is required and they manual stressed NOT to use a X type Lug wrench. To only use a 100 LB torque wrench. I guess I should return my bottle jack and get my a torque wrench from Harbor Freight.

Any thoughts?
Be careful with placement of the bottle jack. Take a look at the ramps you can buy, called a Trailer Aid. I used mine when I got a screw in my tire and also for general maintenenace like lubng the bearings.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual