RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 219
Pantry panel pops off

So those of you that have had this issue, what have you done to permanently repair? Iím thinking some construction adhesive and more staples. IMO the panel is a wee bit too long putting too much pressure on the staples, which there doesnít seem to be enough...nothing in the pantry that has moved around to cause this... sorry pic is sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0437E1D9-2043-4A9D-A1FC-06CA15FE4B3F.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	257407  
__________________

__________________
2018 Black Rock 24kts, 300 watts Solar.
2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, full delete, 6 spd man. Firestone ride rite airbags.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
legrandnorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Delson, Quťbec
Posts: 132
Send a message via Skype™ to legrandnorm
That trailer is made of poor quality as I can see, sorry to say so, but you do have a nice tractor !
__________________

__________________
2010 Gulfstream Independance 38'
2009 Smart fortwo cabriolet convertible
legrandnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 219
Not looking for trolls, looking for advice. I guess because I donít have a 1/4 million $ class A... itís junk
__________________
2018 Black Rock 24kts, 300 watts Solar.
2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, full delete, 6 spd man. Firestone ride rite airbags.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 23
only a suggestion

Haven't had that problem, but what about an additional furring strip inside, screwed into the cabinet carcass, and a long piece of flat trim (you could resaw a piece of 1x4 hardwood to 1/4 in. and then use a 2 in. wide strip of the thinned down wood for the outside trim), screwed (and coutnersunk) through the trim and panel to the new reinforcing inside. I'm a fan of screws over staples.



What do you think caused the bulge in the first place, loose stuff inside the cabinet sliding around?
__________________
2019 Outdoors 21RBS
2018 Ford F150 w/Eco & max tow pkg
AK_Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Howard View Post
Haven't had that problem, but what about an additional furring strip inside, screwed into the cabinet carcass, and a long piece of flat trim (you could resaw a piece of 1x4 hardwood to 1/4 in. and then use a 2 in. wide strip of the thinned down wood for the outside trim), screwed (and coutnersunk) through the trim and panel to the new reinforcing inside. I'm a fan of screws over staples.



What do you think caused the bulge in the first place, loose stuff inside the cabinet sliding around?

I actually thought about that..or similar. might end up doing it. Agreed screws better than staples. I think the panel is just a little too long, putting stress on the few staples that are there. In my thinking, if you have a flat panel on a flat surface at the correct length and width there should be no popping or buckling.Nothing moving around in pantry, floors not bulging, cupboards still a lined up. Everything else is working and adjusted and staying adjusted as it should. Thanks for your input.
__________________
2018 Black Rock 24kts, 300 watts Solar.
2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, full delete, 6 spd man. Firestone ride rite airbags.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:01 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ModestMonk's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
So those of you that have had this issue, what have you done to permanently repair? I’m thinking some construction adhesive and more staples. IMO the panel is a wee bit too long putting too much pressure on the staples, which there doesn’t seem to be enough...nothing in the pantry that has moved around to cause this... sorry pic is sideways.
One of the many annoying things I had to sort out on my 24 KTS also. The panel popped off early on my maiden trip home from Washington. The cabinet had nothing in it when it popped loose at the bottom 18 inches. The trailer is like a shoe box, if you twist the box the top pops upon two corners. It may be too long and it is in contact with the floor or it may not matter as a few staples and a few dabs of hot melt glue can’t make up for the stresses the unit is under. I had to remove the panel as far up as I could manage and shorten it a bit, clean off the hot melt glue, then reinstall it with some glue and brads, the brads were to hold it in place while the glue dried. It’s a ridiculously thin panel to span that area and expect hot melt glue and a few staples will hold it on. I’m not sure if screws will hold better as they may just pop through the thin material. Most home centers and box stores have furniture markers and crayons in a color you can use to touch up the small scars you will incur.
__________________
Weíre back!
2018 ORV 24KTS 640 Watts solar/600 Ahr
2017 Ford 3.5 TwinTurbo w/MaxTow
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:35 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Seems like a common problem, our 24 kts did the same thing. I nailed and glued it back on and so far its holding. The person who shot the original brads in missed a couple in the middle of the wall.
Part-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
One of the many annoying things I had to sort out on my 24 KTS also. The panel popped off early on my maiden trip home from Washington. The cabinet had nothing in it when it popped loose at the bottom 18 inches. The trailer is like a shoe box, if you twist the box the top pops upon two corners. It may be too long and it is in contact with the floor or it may not matter as a few staples and a few dabs of hot melt glue canít make up for the stresses the unit is under. I had to remove the panel as far up as I could manage and shorten it a bit, clean off the hot melt glue, then reinstall it with some glue and brads, the brads were to hold it in place while the glue dried. Itís a ridiculously thin panel to span that area and expect hot melt glue and a few staples will hold it on. Iím not sure if screws will hold better as they may just pop through the thin material. Most home centers and box stores have furniture markers and crayons in a color you can use to touch up the small scars you will incur.
Thanks, interesting the part that has popped off, I didn't see any sort of indication of glue. I will most likely remove the panel and shorten probably only need to take off 1/16 or even a 1/8, you'll never see any sort of gap as the couch is right beside. Run some adhesive, staple back on, I'm thinking I will also run a trim board up the outside corner to clean the edge up a bit, try to get a close colour match. We have a big trip coming up and mostly gravel roads, this will be a good test for the repair.

Thanks again, cheers.
__________________
2018 Black Rock 24kts, 300 watts Solar.
2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, full delete, 6 spd man. Firestone ride rite airbags.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part-time View Post
Seems like a common problem, our 24 kts did the same thing. I nailed and glued it back on and so far its holding. The person who shot the original brads in missed a couple in the middle of the wall.
Definitely seems to be lacking some staples fore sure. How long ago did you do this repair? Wondering if I can get away with just doing that instead of pulling the panel and trimming etc...


Thank-you.
__________________
2018 Black Rock 24kts, 300 watts Solar.
2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, full delete, 6 spd man. Firestone ride rite airbags.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 2,758
Put some good quality wood or construction glue in there and clamp it together. Done. These are the sort of repairs that RV owners do every day. I wouldn't be using more staples, screws, lag bolts or any other overkill. That area didn't get enough glue fo some reason. I think I had a small area like that on mine 5 years ago. It's such a small issue I didn't even mention it, just fix and move on. Other issues will happen to keep you busy no matter what you do. It's an RV, not a Rolex. Those kind of things happen on even the best motor homes.
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
TWO big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dogs
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mission BC
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Put some good quality wood or construction glue in there and clamp it together. Done. These are the sort of repairs that RV owners do every day. I wouldn't be using more staples, screws, lag bolts or any other overkill. That area didn't get enough glue fo some reason. I think I had a small area like that on mine 5 years ago. It's such a small issue I didn't even mention it, just fix and move on. Other issues will happen to keep you busy no matter what you do. It's an RV, not a Rolex. Those kind of things happen on even the best motor homes.
Agreed very minor, so far only very minor issues with unit, nothing that warrants a visit to stealership. Totally 100% happy with it.

Thanks.
__________________
2018 Black Rock 24kts, 300 watts Solar.
2008 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, full delete, 6 spd man. Firestone ride rite airbags.
Brad Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ModestMonk's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Thanks, interesting the part that has popped off, I didn't see any sort of indication of glue. I will most likely remove the panel and shorten probably only need to take off 1/16 or even a 1/8, you'll never see any sort of gap as the couch is right beside. Run some adhesive, staple back on, I'm thinking I will also run a trim board up the outside corner to clean the edge up a bit, try to get a close colour match. We have a big trip coming up and mostly gravel roads, this will be a good test for the repair.

Thanks again, cheers.
I went out and looked today, the same area that yours popped, now mine has popped also. The bottom where I glued it is solid. It shows the area has a flex stress on this cabinet. ORV design issue or installation issue?

So I will address this when I have time, right now Iím painting my Circa 1852 house and farming in a drought. When I do, I figure the leading edge is solved with Gorilla glue but getting glue to the back edge might require drilling some small holes and watering down some wood glue so I can drizzle it down inside the drilled holes, then brads. Being prepared to hot melt glue a block or two on the wall to help hold it until it dries.
__________________
Weíre back!
2018 ORV 24KTS 640 Watts solar/600 Ahr
2017 Ford 3.5 TwinTurbo w/MaxTow
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
ModestMonk's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
Definitely seems to be lacking some staples fore sure. How long ago did you do this repair? Wondering if I can get away with just doing that instead of pulling the panel and trimming etc...


Thank-you.
In my cabinet shop we used staples for lower end products. The staples were used to hold joints fast while the glue dried. Staples in 1/8 inch cheap veneer board won’t hold anything long term, wood to wood with glue will.
__________________
Weíre back!
2018 ORV 24KTS 640 Watts solar/600 Ahr
2017 Ford 3.5 TwinTurbo w/MaxTow
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Highway 4x4's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: La Verne, Calif
Posts: 2,758
A modified coat hanger will move the glue back there.
__________________

__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie 4x4, Snugtop shell,
TWO big spoiled Bernese Mtn Dogs
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
panel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On-off on off on off off off rear view camera Bahcml Newmar Owner's Forum 5 08-12-2019 10:44 PM
LED light's inside kitchen pantry will not turn off HSG Newmar Owner's Forum 1 10-27-2018 09:58 PM
Pantry modification from shelves to slide out pantry. andrew.r.noe Monaco Owner's Forum 6 05-26-2018 04:15 PM
Carlisle May-Pops have reared their head Todd T Travel Trailer Discussion 1 09-11-2006 06:29 PM
Heart Freedom 15 Inverter pops input circuit breaker. JB Texas MH-General Discussions & Problems 11 05-04-2005 08:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.