Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #15

I have the Blackstone 280RKS, I bought the champion remote start generator with RV plug. If I start my fan for a minute then switch to AC the generator does great. Plus the remote start means I don't have to go outside in the morning to get the coffee started.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
ORV installs the hard start capacitor in their units already as far as I know. It should start and run on one Honda.
This is not true. ORV does not install anything on the AC unit.There is a capacitor but not a soft start like the Micro air does.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hard to say if it’s true or not....ORV may have recently requested from their AC supplier to have hard start capacitor installed. If true would like to know what date they installed them and type/ brand of capacitor they are using and the trailers they are being installed in?
Hard start capacitors are about 1/10 the price as the Microair unit. The micro air unit looks great and looks like it works. Not sure I need that expensive or sophisticated unit, when a $10.00 hard start capacity would work great for me if I needed one. I am unable to find on the microair website if it’s UL or CSA approved. I already have a surge,voltage device that monitors voltage and frequency and resets it’s self if it trips out.
Imho it’s just another toy that RVers like to have, however, a wee bit pricey for me.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Champion unit looks good, but it's hard enough muscling my 46 lb Honda 2000 in and out of my 3/4 ton truck. I don't think I'd want to do it with a 100 lb unit.

I do, however, like the idea of running on propane. With the quality of gasoline now days, it seems like I'm always having carburetor issues with either my generator, gas trimmer, chainsaw, lawnmower, or dirt bike. And that's with running fuel stabilizers in the fuel. Propane would eliminate that problem.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have two Honda EU2000 gennies. I have a 13.5k btu AC. I installed an extra hard start cap in the AC. I have no problem starting and running my AC.

The benefits I see with the Hondas are:
Fuel pump allows using larger external fuel tank, can run for days with light usage
I can lift one 2000 watt gennie, but cannot lift one 150 pound gennie
I can run one gennie if I only need to, saving fuel
Extensive parts and repair network
Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #20
GBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
ORV installs the hard start capacitor in their units already as far as I know. It should start and run on one Honda.
Can this be verified? I’ve got a TT on order with a 15 m air conditioner. I’m trying to decide on a gen.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
Can this be verified? I’ve got a TT on order with a 15 m air conditioner. I’m trying to decide on a gen.
I asked Todd at ORV today. There is a capacitor to help start the compressor but it is not the same thing as the soft start MicroAir. ORV does not install or request anything different on the AC units they use. My 15K unit would not run on one 2000w genny until after I installed the Micro Air. Expensive? Yes but cheaper than a second generator.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:16 PM   #22

Portable Generators for 13.5 AC and other items?

I researched lots and went with two Yamaha 2000's with a parallel cable. I only use the air conditioner a couple times a year but camp throughout the year. Having a small generator to charge and run small duties like microwave or topping off the batteries makes sense. Most of the time but I only have to tote 2 when I think we will be running The air conditioner. Besides that my WindRiver storage bays will hold will actually hold both generators easily making transport easy and less visible for thieves . Not sure i could say that about the 3000 watt generators.
Blackbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:51 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 100#of the Champion Dual Fuel is a concern. I do prefer two 48# vs one 100#.

Living in SoCal.... it can get HOT! Many locations in Southwest, where most of our camping will occur, will REQUIRE AC to keep everyone happy. If I were in a cooler climates, one small genny would probably be fine for micro, TV, etc. But I need to run AC for most areas in summer months.

Two vs One genny....

TWO gennys:
Maintenance is double for parts, labor, etc
MORE than TWICE the price of single 3100W
NO dual fuel capability

ONE genny
The ability to use propane is a GREAT option
COST is LESS THAN HALF of two red ones
MORE Difficult to steal due to weight

Wish the smaller 2000W were dual fuel capable!

Security....I am installing a CargoGlide on my truck. With the canopy I currently have and the soon to be added slide, makes for a nice, secure, and easily accessible cargo/storage area, IMHO.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went with the two Honda 2000 watt inverter generators. Using the parallel cabling they would easily start and run the 13.5k AC on my previous TT. They also have no issue starting and running the 15k AC on our GP F26CIS. The only modification I did was re-jetting the carburetors as we live in Colorado and tend to camp at higher elevations.

I also opted for the extended run aux fuel tank which both generators can pull from. A total of ~8 gallons and they run (on ECO mode) for the weekend.

I'm also considering this tri-fuel conversion Honda EU2000i fuel conversion kitor this one Hutch Mountain generators. It'll allow you to run on gas, propane and even natural gas.
StuartN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post

Another thing that some people have had success with is installing an aftermarket device to their AC that allows a single 2k generator to start it. Something like this: https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Note that I have no experience with this device, but since I already have a single Honda 2k generator, I would certainly give it a try if I was concerned about running AC while boondocking. But personally, I have no desire to have a generator droning away all day (even a quiet Honda) just to stay cool. We use our generator to run the microwave and that's about it. Maybe also to run the satellite receiver for an hour or so to catch up on news. Other than that, when we are boondocking, we simply enjoy the outdoors, be it hot or cold.
I do have experience with installing the MICROAIR unit on one of my ACs. Works perfectly running just one Honda EU2000i. see:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/what...ve-285941.html

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #26
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
I do have experience with installing the MICROAIR unit on one of my ACs. Works perfectly running just one Honda EU2000i. see:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/what...ve-285941.html

Good luck with whatever you decide
Glad it works for you. Is the MICROAIR UL or CSA approved for use?

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Glad it works for you. Is the MICROAIR UL or CSA approved for use?

Coops
I assume so, here is the link to their website:

https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters

Haven't looked at their website in a while and was surprised to see that they are touting the Westinghouse iGen 2500 as a better alternative to the Honda EU2000. Interesting
Also their tech support is super responsive
Old 02-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess if you really want a 100+ lb generator you could always mount one of these (or something similar) in your truck:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...AaAj4QEALw_wcB

Tags
ems, generator