Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Potential Owners Dilemma

We are selling our class A motorhome and will be moving to a trailer. I have invested hours of studying and looking at various makes and models and keep coming back to the Outdoors RV. My dilemma is that I live in the SE (NC) and all of the stocking dealers are thousands of miles away. While I am always up for a road trip, planning a trip of that duration and expense on the HOPE that you will find a product you like is probably not smart. Unfortunately I found this site too late to attend the east coast rally which would have been the perfect solution.

There are others of you on the east coast, maybe even in the SE that have been in my situation and somehow found the TT of your dreams. What am I missing here? How do I get to "kick some tires" without driving 5000 miles round trip? A thousand mile road trip is possible in a weekend and we would certainly be willing to pack the dog and truck and make that drive, but I am not aware of any dealers in that area. I have searched new and used within that area and found nothing. Our preference runs to the 270RLS or maybe the RKS floor plan, but I want to look at build quality and touch and feel and probably drool over some trailers. How can I do that where we live?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Wally
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If Arctic Fox is sold near where you are, go look at those. They are made by the same parent company.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are really looking for the trailer of your dreams fly to Pendleton Oregon and go visit Thompson RV. Then take your rental car over to La Grande and tour the factory. If this is really the trailer brand you want, make a deal with Thompson’s, fly home, and drive back out when they have your trailer ready for you to pick up.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are few Arctic Fox dealers on the east - and while the two brands share some DNA they are more like cousins than brothers. That said you are probably going to have to travel more than 1000 mi. Factory tours are a very good idea with any rig you decide to buy. Be sure to do a couple of things first - check out the ORV website and decide on what plans are of the most interest to you and then look for dealers in the Northwest that show them in stock. Larger airports that are within a day's drive of the factory include Spokane, Boise, and Portland - dealers include Apache, Broadmore, RVs Northwest, Thompsons and one in Boise that I don't remember right now. While you are out here you can also visit the Northwoods factory and also see some Arctic Foxes and Nashs.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That is exactly what we did 1 1/2 years ago. We were not comfortable buying site unseen so we flew to Portland, rented a car, drove to Broadmore RV and Thompsons and looked at the models we were interested in. The next day we did the factory tour then drove back to Portland and flew home. Total of 4 days. Then once we sold our old camper we could feel comfortable buying over the phone. Worked out well for us.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4/4:10
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Waunacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Lots of good abvice on this site - these guys know what they are talking about. I got lucky and bought mine used in VA but was planning on doing exactly as recommended here if I had not found exactly what I wanted nearly new
Cappeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could save yourself the second drive there if you hire a transport company to bring the trailer to you after it's built.

But that takes the fun out of using it on the way back.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
There are few Arctic Fox dealers on the east - and while the two brands share some DNA they are more like cousins than brothers. That said you are probably going to have to travel more than 1000 mi. Factory tours are a very good idea with any rig you decide to buy. Be sure to do a couple of things first - check out the ORV website and decide on what plans are of the most interest to you and then look for dealers in the Northwest that show them in stock. Larger airports that are within a day's drive of the factory include Spokane, Boise, and Portland - dealers include Apache, Broadmore, RVs Northwest, Thompsons and one in Boise that I don't remember right now. While you are out here you can also visit the Northwoods factory and also see some Arctic Foxes and Nashs.
Dennis Dillon is the ORV dealer in Boise.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #9

Read the thread in my signature line. But I think you are safe with a tt.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
Read the thread in my signature line. But I think you are safe with a tt.
I for one am curious what killed that thread last weekend.

It was getting interesting.

FWIW...I would buy ORV again. No hesitation.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks guys for all the good thoughts. We checked the Northwoods site for dealers near us and found two within 500 miles. One did not sell TT, only truck campers and the other one had one unit in stock. Next closest is PA, which is certainly doable.

I cannot fly for medical reasons, so that still leaves me driving to the NW or possibly Boise. I have been talking to Rangltsch in Missoula, MT and they seem to be nice people to deal with.

A used unit popped up on the internet last night, and, although not the configuration we wanted, we are going to look at it. If it absolutely will not work for us, we at least get "hands on" for an Outdoor RV product and will have a better idea of just what we are buying.

I have a few concerns about doing that, but if that becomes our next move, I will post that up i a different thread.

thanks again for all your suggestions.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We, too, kept coming back to Outdoors RV during a year and a half of research. Our intent was to shop a few dealers during a west coast camping trip last year but, six months before the trip, we found out that ORV would no longer be making the model we wanted. We located one on the lot at the Apache Camping Center in Everett, Washington, but were extremely reluctant to buy a TT sight unseen - despite the fact that all of our research and the hours we spent trolling this owner's forum pointed to a well designed unit. At the time of our transaction (March 2017), Apache accepted a deposit by phone to hold the trailer for a few weeks until we could get out to look at it, and assured us that they would refund our deposit if we did not like the unit or another one on the lot. If you're willing to make the trip, perhaps you'd be able to find a dealer with a similar policy.

That cross country trip was a leap of faith but we have never once regretted it. Both the time and the expense spent on it were well worth it because we simply could not have found such a well designed rig with so many useful features for outdoor enthusiasts here in the northeast.

Good luck in your search!

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #13

Wally,

I was in the same dilemma as you. Wanted an ORV, live in Ohio, closest dealer in Denver, yada yada yada. I had a high end Lance TC for a trade. The floorpan I wanted (260RLS) was limited to about 15 units spread across the west side of the country with various options. I wanted a Mountain Series fully loaded so I only dealt with 3 different dealers that had the TT I wanted. PLEASE.....shop multiple dealers for the best price. Living on this side of the country any warranty or repair work you have done will not require another 5000 mile journey unless you go back to the factory for something so the "service reputation" of your selling dealer is mute. Get the best price. Seriously.....I saved myself 10k+ by shopping. The dealer I bought from gets beat up regularly on the internet but it is usually service related. When I bought from them they were 10k cheaper than a dealer in Oregon that everyone is in love with. PM me if you want more specifics. Also if you want to come to SW Ohio to check out my ORV you are more than welcome to give it a good inspection. I can even put you up for the night. I looked at Arctic Fox at a local dealer and still drove 2000 miles to Boise. I am very happy with my purchase. EVERY aspect of it was perfect.
Nodrama43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nodrama43-you have a PM.