Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Problem on the roof

Hi folks,

So I found this today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6273.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	168949

How the heck does something like that happen? There is a black pipe sticking about three inches out of the cap which is broken, like the pipe exploded out of the cover. What the heck?

I tried pushing it back down but it won't give much. Do you think I can cut the pipe and put a new cover on it? I can't find anything wrong on the inside, figure it's just a vent for plumbing or the attic.

Any and all advise warmly welcome.... why is it the week before a big trip all this stuff starts happening.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only way I know of for that to happen is for the tank to have expanded upward.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

Which tank? Like black/grey or fresh water?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, ya know what you have to do now. Monday morning call the factory and be ready to e mail the picture to the service department. They will know exactly what that pipe is for and possibly what happened. We'll be waiting here for the outcome.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No roof vent on fresh water tank, it vents through a small hose to the fill spot. This is one of the holding tank vents. You should be able to tell which one by what water appliances (shower, sink, toilet) are the closest to the vent, or directly below. Does suggest that maybe a tank was over filled or pressured. Have you used the black tank flush too vigorously!!???

As to removing the cap and cutting off, should be able to. Check if the pipe will push down any easier after the cap is cut up and removed. It may be holding the pipe somewhat. If it doesn't push down at all or easier, go ahead and cut off enough to install a new cap with an air gap at the top.

At worst, if it is the black tank vent, and it has come out of the tank by chance, then will be more work!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To determine which tank the pipe vents.....go on the roof, have someone flush toilet, and run water in the gray tank. You should hear water thru the pipe filling the tank that is affected.

I would not just cut it off....something has come loose and pushed the abs vent upward. Or the tank expanded somehow. You don't want problems further down the road.

Cover your nose first!

Best of luck!
Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #7

If your case is identical to what I had, maybe this explanation matches your black pipe issue. It's been maybe 8 years ago since then. Read on.

Trying to solve why the black vent pipe stuck up like that, I found access to it behind a panel in the bathroom where I could grab it. Lo and behold, it vented our black tank and was pressed into a collar. Learned from others this is common and was advised to reseat it. That returned the pipe to its original location. Haven't had a problem since but do monitor it once or twice a year. Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Thanks guys,

All good suggestions. I think I'll talk to ORV tomorrow as I can't tell which one its for. Im thinking its grey because its between the bathroom and kitchen, would make sense that the rear one is for the black tank as the toilet is the furthest back.

I was thinking of the cutting off part, I'm worried that if I move it and it corrects then down the pipe goes and starts venting into the attic. Probably not the best thing.

Ok, well no easy fix, so I'll contacted the shop tomorrow and report back with what they say. We leave next weekend for three weeks.... excellent timing.

Probably going to be another user error that teaches me what not to do lol
Old 07-17-2017, 04:30 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My guess is the same as gbgeezer's.

The pipe was not glued into the collar, worked its way out and now is banging up and down, breaking the top off the roof vent.

And like his solution, if you can find a way to get at the bottom of the pipe, add glue (black pipe ABS?) and stick it back in ...

Good luck!
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #10

I was advised that the vent line is better not glued in because gluing it make it very difficult to lower, remove and or replace the tank. So far, just an occasional check to assure its not loosened has been adequate in the years since.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgeezer View Post
I was advised that the vent line is better not glued in because gluing it make it very difficult to lower, remove and or replace the tank. So far, just an occasional check to assure its not loosened has been adequate in the years since.
Dunno about ORV, but when I replaced the black tank on my previous trailer there was no issue with the vent pipe as it went straight up to the roof. So you loosened the tank, let it drop to the ground, and the pipe came with it. Then you just cut the pipe at the tank and pull the tank out.

So the glued in straight vent didn't cause any problems there. But if it's not straight, you would need to cut it off below any bend so the tank can drop to the ground. If you can't access the bend that would definitely be a problem.

My issue with unglued vents is the chance of unseen overflow leaking under the trailer. I would rather see the grey water rising in the bottom of the shower or black water coming up the toilet pipe beforehand.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:05 PM   #12

Agree and was skeptical, am less so in the years since then. Could have a clearance problem when extending the cut ABS pipe to its original length due to coupler width if space is is tight.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #13

Hi there,

I didn't manage to get through to ORV today, missed the call back.

So I'm just wondering about how I would go about doing what you guys are suggesting. Would I have to remove the underside chloroplast to get access to the black tank and the port where the pipe goes in, or is there usually an access panel somewhere?

I'm not a skilled fix it guy, I don't even know where to start.

Thanks folks!
Gary
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 PM   #14

Didn't have to do that. Used a mechanics troubleshooting mirror and a bright focused maglight to find and see the attachment point within the black tank by going through the toilet. The ABS vent pipe passed through the corner of our medicine cabinet so I accessed it and thus confirmed it wasn't threaded or glued to the black tank flange. I was able to seat it by applying twisting, tightening downward rotation. In so doing the pipe returned to the correct height and was wedged in place.

Tags
roof