Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Propane use

Spent last three weeks mostly dry camping, continuous refrigerator use, daily range use, oven a few meals, furnace a few nights, hot water heater for a few showers and daily dishes, etc
Without pulling the tank (s) and weighing them, I don't know how much propane I used. I figured I'd at the very least use one tank. The diverter looks the same as when the tech set it up, all green and pointed toward the same side as the start. Am I still working off the one cylinder? I'm not 100%clear how the auto-changeover (diverter) functions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

First cylinder valved in for service is 'primary'
Red/Green Indicator lever pointed at in service cylinder (Green indicated)
Then other cylinder valve is opened

When primary goes empty.....
Indicator will turn RED
Changeover valve will swap to other cylinder

When you see the RED swap lever to point to other cylinder
Valve out empty cylinder.......disconnect and go get it filled

After filling....
Set cylinder in place...hook up pigtail and open service valve

Ready to use when other cylinder goes empty
Repeat process

We have two 30# cylinders and typically went 5-6 weeks on one when we FTd
Stove/Oven, water heater, fridge usage etc.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Pour hot water slowly over the tank and then feel the tank. The liquid level will be colder than the gas-filled top of the tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sounds like you are still working on the first tank. The lever on the change over points to the tank that will be used first. If that tank goes empty the flag will turn color and take propane from the the other tank. Both valves have to open of course.

I refilled our tanks first thing this spring and discovered one tank was still full and the other about full after 3 months of use last summer and early fall. A few nights were at or just below freezing point. I'm guessing our last year consumption was about the same as what you just had.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use one of these to check the level in my propane tanks. https://www.amazon.com/LevelCheck-Pr...el+check&psc=1

Although there is also a cheaper one. The Truma is very accurate. Can't vouch for the Dometic but it's the same principle so probably works fine. https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-LPGC1...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 06-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your usage sounds about right.
Do you leave the water heater on all the time? When we are off-grid I fire it up when we need it, and combine the time to doing dishes and showers in the same time frame, then off it goes until next time. The water will stay pretty warm for several hours unless its really cold outside.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Your usage sounds about right.
Do you leave the water heater on all the time? When we are off-grid I fire it up when we need it, and combine the time to doing dishes and showers in the same time frame, then off it goes until next time. The water will stay pretty warm for several hours unless its really cold outside.
Shoot, not only do I turn it off after doing the dishes, I also turn it off as soon as my wife steps into the shower
Old 06-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Shoot, not only do I turn it off after doing the dishes, I also turn it off as soon as my wife steps into the shower
We were camped at Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone one time. It was still getting down into the 20's at night so the campground water that we were hooked up to was VERY cold. Our TT has the tankless instant hot water heater and my wife had just started a shower when we ran out of propane. You should have heard the scream! She almost made me sleep in the truck that night...
Old 06-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
If you really want to have some fun, turn it off halfway through your wife's shower. Oh, blame it on the tank running out, she'll understand.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
2017 Mazda Miata MX-5 toad on a double axle car hauling trailer
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
We were camped at Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone one time. It was still getting down into the 20's at night so the campground water that we were hooked up to was VERY cold. Our TT has the tankless instant hot water heater and my wife had just started a shower when we ran out of propane. You should have heard the scream! She almost made me sleep in the truck that night...
...do you promise to love and cherish till death do you part, or I run out of propane during your shower?

2018 ORV 24KTS 640 Watts solar/600 Ahr
2017 Ford 3.5 TwinTurbo w/MaxTow
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
We combine dishes for one event preferably joined with showers. In whatever order it is, we turn off the heater during the last shower or part way through dishes. No sense heating water that wont be used.

When we were camping this last winter with temps down to minus seven for a few nights the usage consumed a tank in 6 to 7 days. I keep the second tank turned off unless Im using the furnace full time. I want to know when the tank kicks.

2018 ORV 24KTS 640 Watts solar/600 Ahr
2017 Ford 3.5 TwinTurbo w/MaxTow
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane