Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #1

Purchase an Extended Warrenty?

I have been in the shopping mode for almost two years. I recently retired so today I entered the buying mode!

We purchased a 2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS today off a dealer lot. We are pretty excited and anticipate taking delivery next week.

I wanted to ask the Outdoors owners community what the feeling is about purchasing an additional 5 year warranty for the the unit. I'm confident I have bought the best trailer manufactured, I know ORV is quality inside and out. I will do a through PDI next week. Any small issues that are likely to come up after time goes on I am able to take care of myself. I have owned a couple of other lesser quality trailers and have always done my own maintenance and repairs.

Never had an RV with slide, that is my only real concern. Not sure the gamble of a problem with the slide on a new trailer is worth investing $2,000.00 for 5 years.

So, I would appreciate your valuable opinions on weather this warranty is really needed. I will change my profile on the next post
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you opt for the extended warranty make sure you know exactly what they cover and what they don't.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you opt for the extended warranty make sure you know exactly what they cover and what they don't.
It is often better to get a list of what is NOT covered, than what is !

Also be sure if failure of one item causes something else to fail, that both will be covered.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

Doing some reading of past posts on this site, (should have done a search before my post) there are numerous negative comments regarding an extended warranty.

I will not take the bait from the dealer to spend some additional cash. Not going for the warranty. Outdoors RV puts together a very good product compared to the rest of the field, I can take care of the small stuff that will come up. My confidence is high the warranty won't be money well spent.

I appreciate the feedback from you guys. Also appreciate the forum, there is a vast amount of knowledge here.

We are taking delivery mid week... I can't wait.

Mike
Old 06-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I too have been debating whether to purchase an EW or just put the funds away for that future event. I've read that some folks get a lot out of their EW and it paid off for them. Given that all pieces of equipment will eventually fail, is it better to put aside funds or purchase peace of mind. Knowing that some folks have used their EW several times over, which paid for itself and more, does provide a plus if you want to go that path. I'm still on the fence about this subject. Had my unit less than 3 months, used a number of times in that period, and so far no issues. In talking with my dealer, I was told that I can purchase up to a year after initial sell date and still get the "Platinum" coverage, otherwise the coverage level drops as the unit is older than a year. Going to take my time and see how this goes over the next few months and then make a decision from there before that year anniversary date.
RAM 6.7 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #6

On a TT, I don't think an extended wararrnty would be a good investment. They DONT cover anything structural or water/dry rot delamination related, just the equipment-micro, water heater, etc. Put your $2k in savings to pay for repairs. On our motorhome, there is a lot more to cover, engine, tranny, and the list goes on and on. Happy Camping, and enjoy your new trailer.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #7

Waite until the original warranties are about to expire; then decide.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dealers make $$ on selling these warranties. Cash cows.
We negotiated a lower price for same policy before closing the deal.
We made sure what it covers and what it doesn't.
One refrigerator replacement would pay for the policy.
Only you can decide if worth it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

I have a comment on trailer ownership and warranty that I will make on every post questions. After reading the owners manual and product manuals for each item installed in the trailer I seriously have misgivings of my 7 year warranty ever being honored. It seems to me that not only does the maintenance and care insurmountable but iffy and not 100% that you will be ok. In fact. even if you do keep up with the rigid maintenance, checks, procedures this still is designed to fail. Just the fact that traveling down the road, the vibration and shock tears things up. Warranty doesn't cover any of that. I'm starting to believe that the extended warranty service was a waste of money.
stylinlp38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase