Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On my factory tour during my pin box repair Dave showed me the product they use, Geocel 2300 MHRV Sealant.
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #16

Fading

I may have the same problem this year. 2015 model purchased in 2016

Before Fall of 2016:

After Spring 2017:
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure if that's going to be buffed out lol

Old 06-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yikes! No, I don't think that buffing will resolve that issue...
Old 06-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Yikes! No, I don't think that buffing will resolve that issue...

Well Outdoors RV contacted me this morning with recommended service and which buffing products to use.

So we are going to see if can be buffed out. The 2 year warranty on the finish expires Feb 2018.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaLad View Post
I may have the same problem this year. 2015 model purchased in 2016

Before Fall of 2016:

After Spring 2017:
[/URL][/IMG]

Not sure if that's going to be buffed out lol
That's how our GP cap looked after 1 year also.

Quote:
Well Outdoors RV contacted me this morning with recommended service and which buffing products to use.

So we are going to see if can be buffed out. The 2 year warranty on the finish expires Feb 2018.
I'd be surprised if buffing is going to bring that cap back to original condition. The more I buffed and waxed mine, it seems like the worse it got.

Is that a two year warranty on the siding finish and not the cap?
Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

Will be interested to see pics after you buff. Nice that you're still under warranty on the finish.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #21

ORV is just skirting the issue. Same as NW did. Buffing will make it look great until it won't. My bet is that they're hoping you keep buffing it until Feb 2018. I would buff that out ASAP and then let it sit in the sun for 6-8 weeks, then take another pic and show ORV that buffing doesn't work.
Big downside to NW is their warranty. ORV has NW bet hands down. Most everyone that owns a grey or dark brown Northwood MFG trailer got burned because they only warranty them for 1 year.
Don't waste too much time on it. Use that 2 year warranty.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
ORV is just skirting the issue. Same as NW did. Buffing will make it look great until it won't. My bet is that they're hoping you keep buffing it until Feb 2018. I would buff that out ASAP and then let it sit in the sun for 6-8 weeks, then take another pic and show ORV that buffing doesn't work.
Big downside to NW is their warranty. ORV has NW bet hands down. Most everyone that owns a grey or dark brown Northwood MFG trailer got burned because they only warranty them for 1 year.
Don't waste too much time on it. Use that 2 year warranty.
That's the direction I would like to go but its another thing to get authorization from ORV to replace the front cap. In the meantime, I will have to do the song and dance to get to the point of replacement.

What was or how did you get ORV to replace the front cap? Looking for tips to start a warranty claim.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2017, 01:39 PM   #23

We just called and asked them to have it done. Our 2016 sat on the lot for an extended time and was faded pretty bad. While it was at the factory we had them run the solar wiring to the roof and battery area while the front cap was off. They did a great job and were very accommodating.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really wonder about the gel coat used on the front caps. Dark boats will fade over time but not in one year (okay maybe some do but it is not the norm). I wonder if the front caps are made for ORV by someone else? Buffing just takes off a layer of gel coat and the next layer will repeat the same as the initial layer. There just must not be any UV inhibitors or something in the gel coat for it to fade so quickly.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #25

All RV caps are sub'd out to vendors. I really don't know how many there are that make them. I do know for a fact that NW caps were made by a company near Turner Or. The place burned down a couple years ago. Right about the time that NW switched over to a lighter colored cap. Who they're using now I have no idea. Not sure if ORV was getting them from the Turner shop also.
It's really hard to get specific information about who makes the caps.
As far as the gel coat goes. I spent many hours reading online about gel coat refinishing. I got all my info from boat and RV sites. The consensus is that RV caps are made with an inferior gel coating process period. You almost never see a boat fade in 1.5 years.
I'm guessing that the Turner shop made caps for Forest River as well. The FS Wildcat dark grey caps faded badly too. Jayco also had problems with their dark brown.
It's interesting that all the MFG that had fading cap problems have now gone to lighter colors.
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM   #26

Angry

Update:

This is apparently normal for a dark colored front cap on Wind River and Blackstone products made by Outdoors RV. Dealers response is to have it sanded and reapply clear coat as buffing doesn't solve the issue. A $3500+ repair cost. Not even sure if that will a permanent solution.

As some members have reported the dark colored fronts on 5'th wheels have been replaced and done at the factory. Rumor has it that the labor may be covered but the cost of front cap is the owner responsibility.
Feedback?

The 2 year warranty on the fiberglass wording is so vague that I don't believe it will be covered.

How much did these Wind River's cost? Suppose to be the best warranty in the business? I'm not impressed at the moment!

I'm thinking of leaving the oxidation looking like crap and advertising the quality of ORV products at the jamboree this year where everyone can see it. I camp by the road and it wont be the first or last time I've been asked about my trailer. I'll be sure to "share" my opinion

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Update:

This is apparently normal for a dark colored front cap on Wind River and Blackstone products made by Outdoors RV. Dealers response is to have it sanded and reapply clear coat as buffing doesn't solve the issue. A $3500+ repair cost. Not even sure if that will a permanent solution.

As some members have reported the dark colored fronts on 5'th wheels have been replaced and done at the factory. Rumor has it that the labor may be covered but the cost of front cap is the owner responsibility.
Feedback?

We had our GP cap replaced last month and had to pay for the new cap. Labor was covered though.

The 2 year warranty on the fiberglass wording is so vague that I don't believe it will be covered.

How much did these Wind River's cost? Suppose to be the best warranty in the business? I'm not impressed at the moment!

I'm thinking of leaving the oxidation looking like crap and advertising the quality of ORV products at the jamboree this year where everyone can see it. I camp by the road and it wont be the first or last time I've been asked about my trailer. I'll be sure to "share" my opinion
I thought about going that route also, but all in all I really love our GP and want it to look as good as it can.

Martin6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall