Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Renewing TT after many years without

Hi all, we are retired and have two retired racing greyhounds. We are looking to buy a new Travel Trailer that is not to heavy and has access to both sides of the bed. Last weekend we purchase a 2016 Chev Tahoe with the towing package. Today we looked at Keystone, Jayco and Outdoors RV. We like the Outdoors RV Creek side 20FQ but the cost is more than what we have looked at so far. We plan on taking some longer trips, 3-4 weeks out. What opinions do you have for this TT?

Thanks
Janis

jnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The 20fq is one of their most popular models with that big back window. I think the ORV trailers are very well built. They cost a bit more but you get that back in having a higher quality stronger trailer.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:14 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look at the Nash trailers, they may be a little cheaper$$ but same owner of both companies and same build quality. We owned a 23d for a few months but it was just too small for our needs!
Oldelevatorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV trailers are pretty heavy. Some of that is in the heavy duty frame and thick walls. They are built to last for many miles (once you get the initial defects out of the way), handle pretty well over rough roads, and are well insulated (especially if you opt for the double pane windows, which also makes them heavier). They also have large tank sizes which can make them heavier when full.

The 20FQ looks like a nice layout. And that new Tahoe should handle its 5-6K loaded weight without a problem. A nice combination that should be easily manoeuvrable in tight spots.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:41 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I believe the thermal pane windows are standard across all their lines now. Well built trailers, you get what you pay for. 20FQ is the perfect size for 2 people to see the country. If you have guests they can pitch a tent, ha ha.
keymastr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well as an ORV owner now for a few years I can attest to the fact that you get what you pay for. Quality and Mfr help is what sets ORV apart from others. We have nothing but good to say about them... Pinky on this forum can give you more info on the 20FQ as he and his wife are almost full timers in one...
motcrew12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Better check the payload capacity of that Tahoe before you start looking at trailers. That is going to be your tightest limiting factor in all this.

Take the max weight of the trailer you are looking at, and multiply by .15, and that is your max tongue weight.

Take the carrying capacity of the Tahoe, subtract you and your wife, your girlfriend, kids, grandkids, their stuff, the cooler full of beverages, snacks, the two dogs, fishing gear and bait, War and Peace by Tolstoy, and all that from it, and that is the max weight you can put on the Tahoe in tongue weight.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree with Motcrew12. You will get your money's worth from an ORV unit. This is our 5th TT and it is by far the best we have owned. It towed fantastically on our way from Sacramento area to the rally at Wallowa Lake. I went with the Creek Side 23RKS outdoors RV because of the way they build the chassis and the frames, plus we couldn't get any larger of a unit down our driveway. They build them over what they need to be.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

We just traded in our 20FQ for an Arctic Fox 27-5. Had two years with the 20FQ and we were very happy the entire time.. Temps ranged from 0 to over 100 and we can attest to the true four season rating. Granted they are a bit more $ to start, but IMHO you will make that and more up with reduced upkeep and trade in at the far end. Traded it only because the dinette got a little small when it's dark at 5:00.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:53 PM   #10

We ended up buying a Starcraft Launch Ultra light 22BUD. We liked the Creekside but they were asking 10k more for it and we really do not plan on being in cold weather. We pick it up on the 22th. Those concerned with towing with the Tahoe, it is rated to tow 8600lbs, the new trailer weights in at 4360
Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was not trying to get you to think about the total weight of the trailer, I wanted you to see it in finer detail. The two rating is likely calculated with a 150 pound driver and nothing else in the vehicle. D you weight 150 pounds, and nothing and no one else will be in the truck with you?

You, anyone and anything riding in the tow vehicle with you, even your groceries and dogs eat up the cargo capacity of your vehicle.

But don't take my word for it. Go look on the door sticker of your Tahoe and see what the cargo capacity is. It is your responsibility to not drive an overloaded vehicle, putting yourself, your passengers, and other road users at risk.

8600 pound tow rating could mean a max 1300 pound tongue weight. The 5250 GVWR of the trailer could mean as much as almost 800 pounds tongue weight. Can your rig handle that much weight hanging on the back of it, pushing down on the rear axle?

Or ignore this advice and questioning. Seriously. I got nothing to lose if you don't know, don't want to know this stuff. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelevatorman View Post
Look at the Nash trailers, they may be a little cheaper$$ but same owner of both companies and same build quality. We owned a 23d for a few months but it was just too small for our needs!
My $.02 .....The 3 lines are not the same quality. Nash is entry level and Arctic Fox is high end. ORV is better than a Nash but less than an Arctic Fox.

This way they cover the entry, mid, and high end segments of the market.

jtbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
OK. The Outdoors RV trailers are well built. The frames are heavier that they need to be, which adds a lot of weight. The hitch height is a lot higher than it needs to be for light duty vehicles such as yours. The result is a trailer that is probably too tall and too heavy for your vehicle, although ORV will probably say otherwise.

In spite of their advertising, I don't think you should consider any trailer from Outdoors RV unless you are prepared to pull it with a really heavy duty truck that you wouldn't want to use as a daily driver.

Because they are all owned by the same people, I suspect that this applies to all ORV, Nash, and Arctic Fox product.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:31 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
OK. The Outdoors RV trailers are well built. The frames are heavier that they need to be, which adds a lot of weight. The hitch height is a lot higher than it needs to be for light duty vehicles such as yours. The result is a trailer that is probably too tall and too heavy for your vehicle, although ORV will probably say otherwise.

In spite of their advertising, I don't think you should consider any trailer from Outdoors RV unless you are prepared to pull it with a really heavy duty truck that you wouldn't want to use as a daily driver.

Because they are all owned by the same people, I suspect that this applies to all ORV, Nash, and Arctic Fox product.

Jim
I have both an F150 and a F450, don't really see much difference in the way the two drive other than the width of the DRW. My buddy just traded in his 1/2 ton on an 1 ton, at first he missed the lighter duty truck, but after a couple of weeks "what 1/2 ton"

The problem with light duty trailers is the construction is just that. Good quality trailers are heavy, which results in frames not breaking, cabinets not pulling off walls, holding tanks that last more than a couple of days, 4 season capability.

Just mho.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote