RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Replace clearance light

The amber clearance light on the right side near the front of the trailer has stopped lighting. There are two screws holding it on, and what appears to be a really strong sealant all around the base. I cannot see the wiring for it on the inside of the pass through storage. I don't know if this will be an easy or difficult repair/replacement.

If I replace it, I'll put an LED light there.

Has anyone else done this, and what did you find when you removed it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is yours the oval with chrome frame mounted on the "skirt" below the compartment door?? Our early '16 (really a "late" '15) lights are like that, they are LED and probably attached/sealed with ProFlex (Geocell) which is pretty sticky stuff. On ours the wires are right behind the skirt, and connected to harness which drops through floor edge. Easy to get to!!

If your skirt is the earlier style of build, which attaches above the floor (part way up the compartment door) and the lamp is not near the bottom of skirt, may have to drop skirt down to access wiring?? OR, when light is finally removed, wiring may be very accessible, and have enough to pull out and splice in new one if needed. Heat gun, or hair dryer may provide enough heat to help pry light out without any damage.

2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No skirt, it's the Black Rock trim which means "nuttin fancy". It's stuck right on the fiberglass outer wall just ahead of the pass through door. If it was daytime I'd take a picture and post it. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Gotcha, ASSumed it was other than Black Rock!!! I still think that when the light is removed you may find enough wire in behind it to do a replacement. Should be crimp connectors in the front panel area.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Solar
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Clearance light

May I suggest that before you get too carried away, first pull the light from it's housing or RV wall, take a voltmeter and see if you have voltage in the wiring at the light. (Of course, remember to attach the tow vehicle to provide power). One step at a time. If you have power to the light but it doesn't work, then the light (or bulb) is fubar. If you don't have power in the wiring, then replacing the light isn't going to do any good and the problem likely resides in the wiring itself. The one question I always ask myself when something doesn't work is "what has changed or been modified lately?" (I just had this yeasterday, with our sunroom leaking) Anything you remember, like catching a wire on something, plugging in to a bad recepticle, overloading the system?

Just random thoughts and hope it may help you deduce the issue.

All the Best
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup, thanks for the reminder on troubleshooting before replacement. I just gotta get it off first.

It's not even a terrible thing, having that light not working, but every little bit of safety equipment that came on it working makes me feel better.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I removed one of the rear clearance lights and I would think the side lights are similar. Mine was held on by two screws and once the screws were removed, I carefully cut through the sealant at the top of the light and it lifted away.

The light had a back bedding of rope type caulking (available at Lowe's in the window department) and was caulked at the top with something similar to Dicor Proflex, which is what I used to re-seal. Do not seal the bottom of the fixture so that any entrapped water can drain.

Once removed, check both the socket for voltage and the bulb for continuity with a multi-meter.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Exactly the kind of experience and description I was hoping to get. Thank you!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I get so much good info here, feels good to be able to contribute.

Wally & Anita
Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So..........how did the repair go?
Old 10-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have put it off until I either get closer to needing to move work locations from Yakima to Longview, or ...

the weather gets a little warmer! My hands get too cold too fast!

Tags
ace, light, replace