Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #1

Replace preinstalled solar charge cable?

Has anyone replace their preinstalled solar charging cable that goes from the cabinet above the bed down to the bottom of the camper under the storage pass thru? I have installed a 900 watts worth of solar on the roof and my Victron charge controller is in the cabinet above the bed. I'd like to replace the cable (6 AWG?) that goes from that cabinet to down behind the front cap. I'd probably switch it to 4 AWG. Anyone?
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
More information on your TT would be an asset in answering this question. Mine has the front fiberglass cap on it and accessing the wiring is much easier than a Model without front cap. In my case the bookshelf headboard is removable allowing access to the front space and wiring.
Grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #3

Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a 2019 Timber Ridge 24RKS with the fiberglass front cap.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have the older version of this TT. You should be able to remove the book case (4 screws in our version) that is in the headboard if your newer model has that feature and then access the wiring from there. I didn't change the wiring, just cleaned it up and added additional wiring in order to add a switch in the pass through to disconnect the panels from the charge controller and add additional strain relief to the existing wiring. I used a cheap boroscope/endoscope from banggood to see and access the areas that I couldn't get an eye on.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
Has anyone replace their preinstalled solar charging cable that goes from the cabinet above the bed down to the bottom of the camper under the storage pass thru? I have installed a 900 watts worth of solar on the roof and my Victron charge controller is in the cabinet above the bed. I'd like to replace the cable (6 AWG?) that goes from that cabinet to down behind the front cap. I'd probably switch it to 4 AWG. Anyone?
I contemplated it but it appeared very challenging.

Instead I placed the charge controller closer to the batteries and just spliced together the place where the factory prewiring would want me to place the charge controller, which is too far from the batteries in my opinion. I did take the opportunity to put a breaker there, though, to act as a switch and additional line of safety.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump010 View Post
More information on your TT would be an asset in answering this question. Mine has the front fiberglass cap on it and accessing the wiring is much easier than a Model without front cap. In my case the bookshelf headboard is removable allowing access to the front space and wiring.
Wow you removed these cupboards?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CC16CCC-9918-42E7-99D9-ED19B6F8808E.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	257469  
Old 08-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Wow you removed these cupboards?

No, I did not remove those cupboards. In our 240RKS which is the older version of the OP's 24RKS, there is a bookcase built into the headboard that is removable. There are 4 screws that hold it in and the entire bookshelf is removable allowing access into the space between the front interior wall and the fiberglass cap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	257470
Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 PM   #8

My 2015 20fq has #8 wire going down to the batteries. And it doesn't have the glass cap on the front. So when I'm done tidying up my solar, if it doesn't charge like I want I will likely get a new MPPT Controller and mount it down near the batteries. That would send a pretty solid 16-18 volts down to the controller. And if that doesn't work like I want I will prolly rewire my parallel panels to series to send more voltage down the wire to the controller
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, cable, install, led, replace, solar